U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,069,612 times

Advertisements

House Agriculture Committee Farm Bill Would Throw 2 to 3 Million People Off of SNAP — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

On July 12th the House Agriculture Committee passed its 2012 farm bill, H.R. 6083, the Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2012 (FARRM.) [1] The bill would cut the Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program (SNAP, formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) by $16.5 billion over the next decade, eliminating food assistance to 2 to 3 million low-income people, mostly low-income working families with children and seniors.

Austerity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,109,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
House Agriculture Committee Farm Bill Would Throw 2 to 3 Million People Off of SNAP — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

On July 12th the House Agriculture Committee passed its 2012 farm bill, H.R. 6083, the Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2012 (FARRM.) [1] The bill would cut the Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program (SNAP, formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) by $16.5 billion over the next decade, eliminating food assistance to 2 to 3 million low-income people, mostly low-income working families with children and seniors.

Austerity.
Yeah, that'll show poor people, with them losing their jobs and going bankrupt.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,583,100 times
As most of us should know by now, I believe in the liberal ideology but I believe that cutting a few million food stamp recpitents won't be terrible as long as its not the ones who truly need food stamps. I've seen plenty of people who don't need them yet they have them and that disgust me. So if he decides to cut a few million recipients I hope that it's right ones who are cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Yeah, that'll show poor people, with them losing their jobs and going bankrupt.
Not everyone who is on foodstamps is poor. I have someone in my family who makes enough to own a 2011 Chevolret Impala, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, only shops at New York and Company, she goes out to eat weekly in Bethasda, MD, DC and etc and she has a kid. She recieves food vouchers for things such as milk, cereal, bread, juice, etc but she honestly doesn't need them, she lives wealthy. She isn't poor yet she's receiving assistance. People like her need to be cut, but of course she isn't going to cut herself, that would be dumb.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
As most of us should know by now, I believe in the liberal ideology but I believe that cutting a few million food stamp recpitents won't be terrible as long as its not the ones who truly need food stamps. I've seen plenty of people who don't need them yet they have them and that disgust me. So if he decides to cut a few million recipients I hope that it's right ones who are cut.
And how exactly would you make that determination? How do you know which "right ones" are going to be cut? You don't even know the abuse rate of the SNAP program, which makes it all that much more difficult to isolate those "right ones."

Quote:
Not everyone who is on foodstamps is poor. I have someone in my family
Anecdotal.

Quote:
who makes enough to own a 2011 Chevolret Impala, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, only shops at New York and Company, she goes out to eat weekly in Bethasda, MD, DC and etc and she has a kid. She recieves food vouchers for things such as milk, cereal, bread, etc but she honestly doesn't need them, she lives wealthy. She isn't poor yet she's receiving assistance. People like her need to be cut, but of course she isn't going to cut herself, that would be dumb.
Then REPORT HER.

People, yourself included apparently, love to ***** about "welfare queens" but do nothing about it.

I've got family too, one in particular who is too fat and lazy to bother looking for work, collects welfare, and it drives out family nuts, but she qualifies for it, so she receives it. She doesn't deserve it, but she qualifies for it.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
And how exactly would you make that determination? How do you know which "right ones" are going to be cut? You don't even know the abuse rate of the SNAP program, which makes it all that much more difficult to isolate those "right ones."

Anecdotal.

Then REPORT HER.

People, yourself included apparently, love to ***** about "welfare queens" but do nothing about it.

I've got family too, one in particular who is too fat and lazy to bother looking for work, collects welfare, and it drives out family nuts, but she qualifies for it, so she receives it. She doesn't deserve it, but she qualifies for it.
So did you report you're family member? I would assume not. It's not my job to go around reporting everyone who abuses the system, when it's the system that allows itself to be abused.

And your correct, I don't know the a abusal rate but we all know it's being abused just as everything is in our great capitalistic nation. From the tax code to healthcare, everything is flawed and needs improving. All I can do is give suggestions for fixing the problem; which I have to my local U.S. Representative. I don't know how SNAP works but I would suggest reviewing the persons income a bit better before giving them assistance. The samething applies to Financial Aid for school, people enroll in community colleges just to recieve the check and drop out. Its not my job to report that student but they should come up with a better system for receiving it.

I'm not saying eliminate SNAP but cuts are necessary to everything in government, from the military to welfare. If you can't agree with that then I don't know what to tell you, unless you think the govt should continue spending at its current rate and have a massive tax hike to close the $1 trillion deficit we keep having in our budget. I don't know about you but I'd rather make cuts and possibly pay a little bit more taxes to close the deficit. We all most make sacrifices to sustain. So let me ask you this question, would you rather cut a few million people off SNAP or would you want the complete government to collaspe and no-one recieves any form of welfare?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 AM

35,232 posts, read 34,530,794 times
Quote:

Austerity.
No. Why can't anyone see what Obama did?

They are cutting the people they deliberately increased on food stamps in time for the 2012 election. This is from a 2011 post of mine.

Obama is The Food Stamp President not just that a poor economy is causing it. This comes from Tom Vilsack, the Secretary of Agriculture, in his own words on Morning Joe back in August 2011.

"U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack backed a White House claim that food stamps, which the Department of Agriculture administers, actually constitute a stimulus program, describing it as 'the most direct stimulus you can get into the economy during these tough times.' 'The reason the number of recipients has increased is that the federal government has been working more closely with local governments to get more Americans on food stamps,' Vilsack said."

Ag Secretary Vilsack: Food Stamps Stimulate Jobs

What Vilsack and the Obama administration is really doing is making more people dependent on the federal dole to stimulate Democrat voting.

And this is from the article cited in your original post:

"According to CBO, in the years ahead the share of the population that participates in SNAP will fall back to 2008 levels."

So to sum it up, put a whole bunch of additional people on food stamp rolls so they vote Democrat to keep their freebies, then cut the same number of people off the food stamp rolls to make it look like you are cutting spending and that it happens AFTER Election Day. Once you are in for your second term, you don't care and if a Republican President is in office, they'll take it out on him when they vote down the road. Do you really think when those people are dropped from food stamps they or the news media will remember that it happened under Obama? It's the same with Obamacare and all of the crappy parts of Obamacare kicking in after Election 2012 is over.

And the news media just rolls over and plays dead.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
So did you report you're family member? I would assume not. It's not my job to go around reporting everyone who abuses the system, when it's the system that allows itself to be abused.
I didn't because she qualifies for it and she definitely needs it, we just feel she doesn't deserve it because she's fat, lazy, and a generally worthless, but she isn't doing anything illegal or unethical.

Your family, however, who apparently doesn't need food-stamps, is getting them, and would be undoubtedly in violation. SO REPORT HER. It is your duty as a citizen to help the country in which you live, and if you want to ***** about abuse rates of welfare programs, start at home.

Quote:
And your correct, I don't know the a abusal rate but we all know it's being abused just as everything is in our great capitalistic nation. From the tax code to healthcare, everything is flawed and needs improving. All I can do is give suggestions for fixing the problem; which I have to my local U.S. Representative. I don't know how SNAP works but I would suggest reviewing the persons income a bit better before giving them assistance. The samething applies to Financial Aid for school, people enroll in community colleges just to recieve the check and drop out. Its not my job to report that student but they should come up with a better system for receiving it.
It is your job. The government isn't Big Brother, it can't see everything, and it's impossible for it to do so. You have a civic duty. I've done mine before in reporting health-care fraud. Have you done yours?

Quote:
I'm not saying eliminate SNAP but cuts are necessary to everything in government, from the military to welfare. If you can't agree with that then I don't know what to tell you, unless you think the govt should continue spending at its current rate and have a massive tax hike to close the $1 trillion deficit we keep having in our budget. I don't know about you but I'd rather make cuts and possibly pay a little bit more taxes to close the deficit. We all most make sacrifices to sustain. So let me ask you this question, would you rather cut a few million people off SNAP or would you want the complete government to collaspe and no-one recieves any form of welfare?
False dilemma. You can't cut SNAP and just hope the right people are removed from it. You have better options. Instill a program to find out how much fraud is occurring, and act accordingly, or run the risk of that programming costing more than letting the fraud continue.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,043,017 times
"she isn't doing anything illegal or unethical. "

Many scammers are not , they are just taking advantage of a broken system . The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I didn't because she qualifies for it and she definitely needs it, we just feel she doesn't deserve it because she's fat, lazy, and a generally worthless, but she isn't doing anything illegal or unethical.

Your family, however, who apparently doesn't need food-stamps, is getting them, and would be undoubtedly in violation. SO REPORT HER. It is your duty as a citizen to help the country in which you live, and if you want to ***** about abuse rates of welfare programs, start at home.

It is your job. The government isn't Big Brother, it can't see everything, and it's impossible for it to do so. You have a civic duty. I've done mine before in reporting health-care fraud. Have you done yours?

False dilemma. You can't cut SNAP and just hope the right people are removed from it. You have better options. Instill a program to find out how much fraud is occurring, and act accordingly, or run the risk of that programming costing more than letting the fraud continue.
My family member qualifies as well because she has a child. She's actually a productive member of society, meaning she has a job and she actually supports the economy fairly well as you could tell by her purchases. She pays her taxes, spends cash, and etc but she recieves whatever benefits she recieves as well. I believe thats a hell of a more ethical than your family member since my family member is productive to society. Rather than sitting on her ass all-day and receiving benefits she works and recieves benefits, and because she's only 21 with a child she recieves benefits. She doesn't recieve any other form of welfare except that. Her pay is fairly well but the child and her age almost gurantee her SNAP, WIC or whatever it is, and I will not report that until they fix the system.

Last edited by BMORE; 08-08-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,513,714 times
Quote:

Austerity.
He probably thought it was like the Obamacare bill, you know, the one you have to pass to see what's in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies