Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Real "words"? Words only have the made up meanings we give them. There are no words that were handed down from on high. People made them up. Just like people made up all names. This is not debatable.
This is objective reality. Every name every word is made up. Someone put it into existence out of their minds they made it up.

So Shaqueesha can be made to reference anything or nothing. It doesn't matter because it is ALL made up. What you are saying is that certain people aren't worthy to make up names because of who they are.

So that is the side you are going to be on. On the side that says oh "those" people they are blah, blah, blah how dare they think they could create a name for their child. They deserve to get screwed over, deserve to be looked down upon. This is what you represent.

Do you believe that in the history of language that no new names will be created? Who gets to create new names and why do they get to create them and others don't that is the question?

Save the righteous indignation. Nobody DESERVES to be discriminated because of their name.

However, we live in a place called "the real world" (you might want to try visiting sometime after you get out of social justcie seminar):

NAMES have consequences. Be it a person, a brand, or a business.

If I name my child HITLER, or OSAMA BIN LADEN, chances are nobody is going to want to hire him at a job. Names like Daiqueesha SOUND UNEDUCATED. Same thing with Cleetus or Billy Joe (poor white folk names).

Names like "Laquanda" are a source of jokes inside and outside of the black community. Sha Ne Ne conjures up images of the Martin character, snapping her neck and wearing tight clothes and a bad weave.

SO feel free to name your child WHATEVERYOUWANT. Name your child Princesswithaheartofgoldandlooksofanangel for all I care. If it means that much to you to demonstrate that "names are just words, and words mean nothing and are all just made up anyway" then have fun. Just don't look so surprised when baby Phallatio gets passed up for that public relations job by Jessica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
And that still doesn't answer the jerk attitude to feel disdain towards someone because of their name. That is pure stupidity and cannot be justified that you treat someone who had done nothing to you poorly because you don't like their name.

Seriously there is something wrong with you.
It's not disdain at the person. It's disdain at the name. I'm not going to judge someone based on their name, even if I know that the name is nonsense. In fact, if I was to feel disdain toward anyone based on a name, it would be towards the name-giver. They made the choice to pass on putting meaning behind what they named their child in favor of something that sounds cool/pretty.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM

242 posts, read 350,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's a boring anglo name.

Emmett Teal had a common Anglo name, and it didn't stop him from being hung. It didn't keep Harriet Tubman from being a slave and it didn't stop Rosa Parks from being told to sit at the back of the bus. This prejudice against ethnic names is just irrational.
Great comment. I find this interesting because I'm a white middle aged guy of Irish-American descent and my first name, while relatively common in Ireland, is apparently considered an ethnically black name now because I've somehow been regularly getting Black Entrepreneurship Magazine in the mail. While I do sometimes get some raised eyebrows with my name, I've never felt any kind of prejudice associated with it.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
There is a difference between traditional names and more modern names. Traditional names often represent cities, historical areas, historical people or words in ancient languages. I do not have a problem with more modern names, but I it is also not fair to lump them all into "made up" names. It is true that all names are "made up" but traditional names often have a tangible origin. The only thing that drives me crazy is when people name their child a traditional name and spell it differently. Aiden (Aidan) and Zoey (Zoe) are the most recent examples of name butchery. If you want to make up an original modern name than that's great, but misspelling a traditional name is just plain wrong.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
The larger question is why do parents feel the need to give their kids these names? I have no problem with an adult deciding that they wish to be called "Destiny" or "Sunshine" or whatever. What I object to is saddling your child with a ridiculous name. Whether it is correct or not, that child will face certain barriers in life if the name is sufficiently ridiculous. It's a misguided way of trying to make your child "unique." Allow your child to be unique based upon their human qualities. Actually, these days, you can be a "rebel" and stand out by giving your children names like "John" or "Elizabeth."

Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Save the righteous indignation. Nobody DESERVES to be discriminated because of their name.

However, we live in a place called "the real world" (you might want to try visiting sometime after you get out of social justcie seminar):

NAMES have consequences. Be it a person, a brand, or a business.

If I name my child HITLER, or OSAMA BIN LADEN, chances are nobody is going to want to hire him at a job. Names like Daiqueesha SOUND UNEDUCATED. Same thing with Cleetus or Billy Joe (poor white folk names).

Names like "Laquanda" are a source of jokes inside and outside of the black community. Sha Ne Ne conjures up images of the Martin character, snapping her neck and wearing tight clothes and a bad weave.

SO feel free to name your child WHATEVERYOUWANT. Name your child Princesswithaheartofgoldandlooksofanangel for all I care. If it means that much to you to demonstrate that "names are just words, and words mean nothing and are all just made up anyway" then have fun. Just don't look so surprised when baby Phallatio gets passed up for that public relations job by Jessica.

No the only self righteous are the people who make judgements about people based on their name and blame it on the real world. No, that is YOU not the real world. There are people who live in the real world who won't do that.

You all try to sugar coat your racial or economic prejudices with niceties. Like the names sounds uneducated.
Names don't sound uneducated that is a lie. Names are associated with certain people based on your prejudices against certain groups who YOU associate with lacking education. That is how a name sounds uneducated. Own your prejudices and stop lying and hiding.

Admit you want to live in the world that does discriminate and judge based on a name because you are damn sure creating reasons why it is ok to do it.

I didn't write that words don't mean anything. I wrote that words ONLY have the meanings we give them. This is objective reality. I wrote that all names and all words are made up. Again this is objective reality.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's not disdain at the person. It's disdain at the name. I'm not going to judge someone based on their name, even if I know that the name is nonsense. In fact, if I was to feel disdain toward anyone based on a name, it would be towards the name-giver. They made the choice to pass on putting meaning behind what they named their child in favor of something that sounds cool/pretty.
Man, that is not what you wrote. You may want to edit your other post because you wrote the complete opposite thing.

Why would you feel disdain towards anyone over a name that doesn't have anything to do with you? What is wrong with you?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is a difference between traditional names and more modern names. Traditional names often represent cities, historical areas, historical people or words in ancient languages. I do not have a problem with more modern names, but I it is also not fair to lump them all into "made up" names. It is true that all names are "made up" but traditional names often have a tangible origin. The only thing that drives me crazy is when people name their child a traditional name and spell it differently. Aiden (Aidan) and Zoey (Zoe) are the most recent examples of name butchery. If you want to make up an original modern name than that's great, but misspelling a traditional name is just plain wrong.
I find it funny that we have the completely opposite views on making up names vs spelling names differently.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Man, that is not what you wrote. You may want to edit your other post because you wrote the complete opposite thing.

Why would you feel disdain towards anyone over a name that doesn't have anything to do with you? What is wrong with you?
No I didn't. Here's what I wrote:
Quote:
I have the same disdain for the name DeLisha that I would for the name Pfffft.
Like I said, I don't judge a person on their name, but that doesn't mean I can't judge the name itself, and sometimes the name-giver.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
No I didn't. Here's what I wrote:

Like I said, I don't judge a person on their name, but that doesn't mean I can't judge the name itself, and sometimes the name-giver.
Whatever, semantics. Try telling a person I feel disdain for your name, but I'll treat you nicely.
Try telling person that their parents can't complain about other people treating them like crap and judging them because of their name.
If you think those feelings and words don't add up to treating a person badly....... Again there is something wrong with you? Why would you have these feelings over a name that has nothing to do with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies