Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When does "human life" begin?
Week 0/2: Some time before conception (no birth control whatsoever, the official view of some religions) 3 3.75%
Week 0/2: One sperm penetrates egg wall (one view of conception, which is some time before the...) 7 8.75%
Week 0/2: Egg is fully fertilized and new DNA forms (another view of conception) 11 13.75%
Week 1/3: Zygote implants into uterine wall (home pregnancy tests are positive, "medical" definition of pregnancy) 9 11.25%
Week 4/6: Heart starts beating, but is not fully formed 7 8.75%
Week 8/10: Embryo is now "officially" a Fetus and arguably "looks" like a baby 3 3.75%
Week 10/12: Heartbeat can be heard 0 0%
Week 11/13: End of First Trimester, arbitrary political time point 3 3.75%
Week 18/20: Halfway point; mother can feel movements 1 1.25%
Week 19/21: Shortest recorded live birth was 21 weeks 5 days gestation; baby survived and is still alive 2 2.50%
Week 22/24: Fetus is considered "officially" viable 9 11.25%
Week 25/27: End of Second Trimester; arbitrary political time point 2 2.50%
Baby takes first breath of air 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You should check out that the Pro No-Choicers, A woman's body belongs to the State believe.
They'd bring back ant-masturbation laws and menstruation tents.
What does masturbation have to do with abortion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,032,232 times
Looking at the poll......when the life form becomes a person is up for debate.

Since there are many different opinions.....the current laws are perfect.

The currnet laws do not satisfy extremists on either end of the argument.....but put forth comman sense restrictions on abortion.

Everyone is free to believe what they will.....but they are not free to force their beliefs on others.

Land of the free.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
All the political arguments are over "pro-choice" vs. "pro-life". After the first breath, the mother ceases to be medically necessary for life. The choice becomes, "do I take the baby home, or do I put it up for adoption", instead of "do I kill this thing or keep it alive."

Once the legal definition changes from fetus to baby, it is legally murder to kill it. The purpose of the poll is to determine when the readers of this forum consider it ethically murder to kill it. When does it go from "something not human" to "human"?

For what it's worth, the mother technically ceases to be medically necessary after the baby becomes viable outside the womb. I'm really wishing I'd added another choice, "The fetus is viable without medical assistance".

Also, I'm surprised at the number of people (so far) who've chosen the last option. In their minds, if the mother is in the throes of labor, she's still able to change her mind and abort the pregnancy. I'm not judging, just surprised.
I know what the law is, but was just thinking that this decision is rather arbitrary and in many cases self serving. So some people think if you kill the baby 1 second before birth, that's OK. But 1 second after birth, that's not OK. Strange.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Everyone is free to believe what they will.....but they are not free to force their beliefs on others.

Land of the free.

unless the "others" are unborn babies. Then they are free to force their beliefs on others.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,032,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
unless the "others" are unborn babies. Then they are free to force their beliefs on others.
If you think YOUR fetus is against abortion.....don't abort it.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,990,261 times
I voted for fertilization of an egg.

Abortion stops a beating heart.

Please America - let us stop the murder of our children.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,146,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
But when does life begin? The extremes are: Option 1: Pre-conception (the Catholic church does not allow ANY form of birth control) and Option 13: After birth, when the baby has drawn a breath of air (the official "legal" beginning of life).

So what do YOU think? I'll ask that this thread not degenerate into a screaming match, but that's probably too much to ask.
Poll fail.

In the alternative you can ask when does death begin. The Supreme Court has answered that question rather thoughtfully. Death occurs when there is no activity --- no brain-waves -- in the cerebral cortex.

Now that we have defined death using our very own Supreme Court, and also using logic, reason and science, since the "ID" resides in the cerebral cortex and not in the medulla oblongata (which controls involuntary muscle movements and organ function like heart-beat and respiration) -- meaning all that a person is --- there personality and such (the "ID") are in the cerebral cortex. But if the cerebral cortex is dead, the so is the person.

The fetus initially does not exhibit brain-waves in the cerebral cortex -- in part because it does not exist at conception.

Logic, reason, science and law say that an embryo is not a person.

If the absence of brain-waves is death, then the presence of brain-waves is life, and the fetus begins to exhibit brain-waves in the now-developed cerebral cortex right at the end of the 1st Trimester/start of the 2nd Trimester.

Your poll doesn't reflect Supreme Court rulings, science, logic or reason, which is why it is faulty.

The obvious answer to the question When does "human life" begin? is when the fetus becomes a sentient being and is aware of its own existence -- which is about the time brain-waves appear.

It is possible to conduct non-invasive tests to determine if the fetus has brain-waves (meaning no surgery or internal probing is necessary).

Obviously, an abortion in the first 12 weeks is permissible and would be tantamount to removing a tumor, but beyond that period, when the fetus is a sentient being -- it is murder, since the definition of murder is to take life with malice aforethought, or with premeditation, or for personal profit, personal gain or personal convenience.

Rationally...

Mircea

Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 PM

25,837 posts, read 16,508,482 times
Wow, 11 people voted that when the baby takes his first breath? Wow, I hope they are never blessed with children.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,104,921 times
Week 1/3: Zygote implants into uterine wall (home pregnancy tests are positive, "medical" definition of pregnancy)

^^My vote. And I am pro-life.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,810,934 times
LIFE has no begining but it does have an end. The breeding male and female are alive. Every cell in their adult bodies are alive. The cells exchanged between the couple are alive- what they produce is alive.

The question that should be asked is - When is the product of reproduction conscious? Abortion supporters justify the making dead of a developing child through the idea that the child is unconscious. Which is much like killing something that is asleep and does not realize that it is being killed...Maybe the question should be- When is the child fully awake and conscious and have a memory?

I have no memory of the first few months out side the womb- I may as well have been in the womb for 14 months ...for all intent and purpose as far as pro-abortion people are only concerned about the day that marks my birth and the following months and the previous mouths. BECAUSE the have this perception that people are animals and no clear or real consciousness or thinking process...This is a dated and primitive concept. I was taught as a child by the teachers of the day that animals do not think but only react through instinct.

It was very common to drown kittens and puppies. We don't do that anymore...because we understand that animals are conscious beings...Yet we still dispose of humans as if it was 1955 and they are less than animals. Abortion in time will go the way of puppy killing...

It irks me that these same people will kill me if they could- If I was frail and old and seemingly unaware....Recently I saw thread about a guy who was putting his dog too "sleep" - The dog was old..but it could still get up and relieve it self- It could eat- and was not in pain.....YET he figured that it had reached it's expiry date...His justification for killing the dog was that the animal did not greet him at the door wagging it's tail- that it was old and "Just lay there looking at me"..

Abortion is the same mentality as the dog killer...The attitude is that it is all about me...me me me....With abortion supporters - they only think of themselves and their perceived needs...They are not just anti-other peoples lives...but anti-social in their stance on this issue. There is not start to human life...it has always been.....all death and especially induced death- be it abortion and capital punishment our out right murder is simply anti-life and the choice to kill is embraced by some and rejected by others....I personally reject death in all forms...I will resist death to the bitter end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies