Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,196 times

Advertisements

The nuttery is panic, much like the Titanic, the RW ship is sinking, davits aren't working, lifeboats getting caught up. It's a distress signal and soon when the Baby boomer repubs are gone there may be pockets of RW's in the old South and scattered about, but they'll become insignificant politically soon.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,994,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It all can be traced back to talk radio. As soon as these political entertainers started getting attention, the discourse in politics took a dramatic hateful and slanderous tone. The people on the extremes are far more entertaining than moderates. Unfortunately, people of limited intellect do not recognize the entertainers as such and gobble up their message as if it was spoken from God himself.

I agree with this; the first time that Limbaugh played "Barack the Magic Negro," the GOP leadership should have repudiated such attacks and insisted on an adherence to discussion of the issues. McCain made a feeble attempt at one speaking engagement when the obviously befuddled woman claimed that President Obama isn't a "real American." Our so-called "religious leaders" had a golden opportunity to emphasize Christ's message of acceptance and love, but chose to engage in gutter politics themselves.
We're seeing the results, and it ain't pretty...or good for the country.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 PM

831 posts, read 676,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
For conservatives, President Obama represents the end of their world. The end of America, now of course whether one agrees with all the President has done or not, he hasn't transformed America, nor he is looking to end their world.

Yet, President Obama's election truly fills them with an incredible amount of fear. They have to create this fictional President Obama to justify all that hatred and fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
1. The Internet.

It used to be that nut-jobs struggled to find fellow travelers, limited as they were by geography and the technology of communications. Back in 1996 I observed in a presentation I was giving my CEO in this new fangled thing called the World Wide Web that, "If there are five people in the world who really care deeply about extinct Bahamian land-snails, they will find each other on the web."

The Internet has created a massive echo chamber where idiots can join with other idiots and repeat idiocy to each other without any requirement to ever hear a contradictory view point. It is a garagantuan feedback loop where even the most egregious stupidity can be broadcast to millions at the speed of light. Competence and reason are no longer filters to the widespread dissemination of ideas.

2. A black president.

Let's not pretend. The election of Barack Obama was a shock to the systems of American racists and crypto-racists. But being on the wrong side of history, most knew well enough that explicit racism would get them nowhere in the objective of their blind rage; to get this president out of office. So instead they have chosen veiled alternatives such as Birthism, false accusations that he is a communist, or a Muslim, or that he is going to take away our guns. The worst of them in Congress have even actively worked to sabotage the economic recovery in an effort to deny Obama a second term.

These two factors have created a crisis that is consuming and destroying the Republican Party at a time when there is no centrist or even right of center alternative to take their place. The civil war inside the GOP burns as brightly as it did when the Tea Party was first co-opted by the fringe.

And our nation is suffering as a result.

Could'nt hit the nail better myself, change has come and theres no going back, the legacy that the republicans and the extremists that reside within it corridors will have a lasting impression on those people who have seen them for who they trully are. In the end, i think it will be them that will pay dearly. Maybe not so much in the near future, but when social demographics take place in a decade+ or so.
Such a shame since i have been all my life, a conservative but never felt compelled to hate Obama just because he another shade of color and yes ofcourse he's a professional liar just like most politicians. Afterall what america has been through and we still come to this?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 PM

62,369 posts, read 28,647,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
The nuttery is panic, much like the Titanic, the RW ship is sinking, davits aren't working, lifeboats getting caught up. It's a distress signal and soon when the Baby boomer repubs are gone there may be pockets of RW's in the old South and scattered about, but they'll become insignificant politically soon.
I resent your remarks. I am a baby boomer and a Republican. Most of us do not fit your hate-filled description of us but this is just another example of leftwing insults who have no viable arguments.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I agree with this; the first time that Limbaugh played "Barack the Magic Negro," the GOP leadership should have repudiated such attacks and insisted on an adherence to discussion of the issues. McCain made a feeble attempt at one speaking engagement when the obviously befuddled woman claimed that President Obama isn't a "real American." Our so-called "religious leaders" had a golden opportunity to emphasize Christ's message of acceptance and love, but chose to engage in gutter politics themselves.
We're seeing the results, and it ain't pretty...or good for the country.
Barack the Magick Negro did NOT originate with Rush Limbaugh.

The title refers to an OpEd piece written 3/19/07, by David Ehrenstein, for the Los Angeles Times. Spike Lee coined the term "magical negro." I would dare say you would not label either David Ehrenstein or Spike Lee as rightwing conservatives.

Rush is not that original.
He picked up on it after the "idea" was born from Ehrenstein's OpEd, and words were set to the tune of "Puff the Magic Dragon."

I read Ehrenstein's OpEd when it first came out, b/f all the hoopla w/ the resulting parody/song. It is quite an interesting read and nothing racist about it. It is revealing and thought provoking.

It was not the place of the GOP leadership to say squat about that OpEd. As for Rush, he is not a leader in the GOP anymore than Bill Mahrer is head of the Democratic party. These people are comedians, talking heads, OpEd folks - whatever. I wouldn't even call either of their ilk "journalists." They are arrogant, condescending and concerned with their own careers, certainly not with any idealism or desire to lift up this country. They are both destructive and divisive. They are "entertainers" more than anything else - but they sure are not spokespeople for ANY political party.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM

62,369 posts, read 28,647,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
They go nuts every time a Democrat is elected to the Presidency. Look at the eight years under Clinton. Hate groups and anti-government militias exploded in number, and we took our eye off the foreign threats like al Qaeda because of nutjobs like Timothy McVeigh.
The Democrats/lefties go nuts every time a Republican is elected. Your point is? Most Republicans are not members of hate groups nor any of the other smear tactics you are using in here. You are acting like a typical left wing nut job who uses the extreme element to smear the entire group. There's enough hatred in your own ranks. I hate hypocrites.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 PM

831 posts, read 676,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I resent your remarks. I am a baby boomer and a Republican. Most of us do not fit your hate-filled description of us but this is just another example of leftwing insults who have no viable arguments.

As a conservative, you cant deny there is a problem from within, problems arent gonna be addressed let alone be fixed by throwing insults at the opposition. This seems to be the norm in the republican movement of late, in the mean time. What exactly can we sell the American public apart from critizising the half eaten left overs from the folks on the left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies