Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My son worked under 40. He was p/t ..between 30-35 hours.
Still in HS so I did watch those hours because they would have worked him up near 40 but I told him school was more important. That's how I know how much he worked.

Insurance was offered to everyone. I saw and read the paperwork he got and helped him to fill out only what he needed to. Papa John's was his first job so he didn't know any of the ropes or what paperwork do fill out and return.

It was not the greatest plan and it was expensive. Then again..this is Papa John's and this was insurance offered to the p/t employees. I would wager that under Obamacare this would not be a "qualifying insurance plan" and that is why the hours are being cut to 29.

Insurance for p/t workers is not comparable to what full time workers get..not even close.

Walmart offers insurance to their p/t workers and you still read that they have their kids on medicaid anyway so that should give you an indication of cost vs quality.

And my remark about pools was made in hopes that you would read up of the next upcoming crisis/fiasco concerning Obamacare. Only this one is between state governments and the Fed.

I haven't kept up with details though because Texas already told the Fed they were not going to operate a state pool and refer all Texans to the Fed pool.

But if your state is going to do their own pool there are issues and questions and not all the answers and the Fed wants states to make decisions now without having all the information and data..mostly regarding state costs.
So just what is the issue? That more of them might take the insurance now? That's not the same, you know. It sounds like Papa John's is well, just making noise.

My daughter worked for a day care chain. They offered insurance to full timers and I don't know who all else. She was one of a handful who used it; she said the married workers were generally on their husband's policies. The policy she had wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as what DH gets at a telecom firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Pizza chain Papa John's told shareholders that President Obama's health care law will cost consumers more on their pizza.

On a conference call last week, CEO and founder John Schnatter (a Mitt Romney supporter and fundraiser) said the health care law's changes — set to go into effect in 2014 — will result in higher costs for the company — which they vowed to pass onto consumers.

Papa John's: 'Obamacare' will raise pizza prices - POLITICO.com
Red Lobster too. They already stated that when it happens, they will be letting go all their full time employees so they don't have to carry any benefits or pay overtime anymore.

Perfect!

Last edited by Riverboat Gambler; 11-11-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
Quote:
You are forgetting that there is a punitive side to this..$2000-$3000 per employee penalty.
Yes. To prohibit this practice going forward of capitalizing on low-skill, low-wage workers. PJ wouldn't disclose how many of its employees were uninsured, but, "but in 2010 the service industry had one of the lowest rates of insured employees, with 33 percent of the workforce uninsured," according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Half of the service industry is also PT already. This is nothing new.

His overall complaint is somewhat not-as-clear/sound as well. PJ employees 16,500 people, however, 80% of the company's restaurants are independently owned franchises. "As long as a franchise owner does not employ more than 50 people, he or she does not have to pay for employee health insurance." Find me a PJ store that employees over 50+. $2,000 is also the charge per person, after the first 30 employees.

Hence, this is somewhat a big stink for show rather than substance.

Lastly, if PJ is not paying for the PT workers not covered, just who is? And, at what cost? Bet it's $2K more if it's subsidized insurance or reliance on the ER, and, bet it comes at a greater human cost to the employee themselves. If you're making $7.50 an hour, (and, are not a student), that leaves no wiggle room to purchase out of reach private insurance, let alone pay for shelter and food.

With Obamacare, (despite its faults and flaws that need some tinkering), at least that uninsured person trying to get ahead, yet earning a low wage, will have the option to receive a tax credit to enable those workers to purchase affordable, quality insurance options. Right now, as I said before, most go uninsured and risk their health in a gamble, which, can be a 'costly' one.

Quote:
If you have all p/t workers than you don't have to worry about either insurance or the penalty or the additional paperwork (IRS wants quarterly forms filed).
That's not the goal of Obamacare. If it's the means some businesses choose to get to an end, so be it. But, the rationale behind this is to fix a dysfunctional, unsustainable system where over 50 million in this country are uninsured. There's facets of the policy that need to be corrected, but, overall, at least it's a step in a direction designed to address this greater issue.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Red Lobster too. They already stated that when it happens, they will be letting go all their full time employees so they don't have to carry any benifits or pay overtime anymore.

Perfect!
They, like most restaurants, don't have many FT employees to begin with.

Good job, cheering for people to lose their jobs. Let's show our displeasure over Obama's election by laying off low-paid food servers. And what's with you RWs always throwing some deflection in? What's this got to do with overtime pay?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Good job, cheering for people to lose their jobs. Let's show our displeasure over Obama's election by laying off low-paid food servers. And what's with you RWs always throwing some deflection in? What's this got to do with overtime pay?
I was siding with Red Lobster workers.

Good job to "deflect" my disapproval of what my intentions were.

Obama and his administration SUCKS!!

Do you get that OK?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
Quote:

Yup. Currently, some 75 percent of Darden's 180,000 employees are already working exclusively part-time and are not eligible for benefits. Darden owns Red Lobster, Longhorn Steakhouse, and Olive Garden.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I was siding with Red Lobster workers.

Good job to "deflect" my disapproval of what my intentions were.

Obama and his administration SUCKS!!

Do you get that OK?
My apologies to misunderstanding you!

I disagree with you about Obama.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
My apologies to misunderstanding you!

I disagree with you about Obama.
I don't...it's BECAUSE of HIM you can't get out of McDs or Burger King for under about $6 or $7 NOW!

$39.95 FOR A F***ING PIZZA?

Get outta here! LMAO

Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post

That's not the goal of Obamacare. If it's the means some businesses choose to get to an end, so be it. But, the rationale behind this is to fix a dysfunctional, unsustainable system where over 50 million in this country are uninsured. There's facets of the policy that need to be corrected, but, overall, at least it's a step in a direction designed to address this greater issue.
You're right and I agree with you. I don't know what they had hoped to accomplish with what they did.
This rash of cutting hours and laying off is since the IRS ruling came out in Sept.

My son has been training new workers for the last 2 weeks now.
And we did see that huge bump in p/t job creation in the last BLS report (582,000 new part time jobs).

Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Yup. Currently, some 75 percent of Darden's 180,000 employees are already working exclusively part-time and are not eligible for benefits. Darden owns Red Lobster, Longhorn Steakhouse, and Olive Garden.
The Government needs to keep it's nosey ass out of it. Do they pay the bills? Do they have to live with people not coming because the service and the food isn't as good anymore and cost MUCH more? Hell no...just getting into someones business.....

Obama is the WORLD'S EXPERT on doing just that.

If someone wants to allow smoking in their business, it should be their individual right to do so as well.

More Government regulations.......regulations that FORCE many of these businesses to close.

Now there isn't ANY business......Just like a Hooters closed down because it didn't have a handicap bathroom.

Cool...now there isn't a Hooters at all.

Are these people insane?

Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies