Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:32 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times

Advertisements

Have any other real Conservatives taken a look at the Libertarian party? I checked them out this past week, and was unimpressed that a party with such potential has a handful of things keeping them back.

First of all, they don't accept corporate donations. Why not? Corporations make up primary funding of the Democrats and Republicans, why not Libertarians? Accepting corporate money doesn't automatically corrupt your party, nor does it mean you will lean their way.

Next, because of their lack of money, they have no organization or any way to reach out to voters. Putting out a good advert would certainly put them on the spot. Most Americans are probably Libertarian without even knowing it. Publicity is the main reason that the Democrats and Republicans have existed for so long, and media misdemeanors have hurt the Libertarian cause.

Organization is another big issue.. The party doesn't seem to have a platform that follows true Libertarianism, but then again it is always interpreted differently... There needs to be a unified platform and party that appeals to Americans at large, not catering to the wealthy (Democrats) or corporations (Republicans).

Well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Have any other real Conservatives taken a look at the Libertarian party? I checked them out this past week, and was unimpressed that a party with such potential has a handful of things keeping them back.

First of all, they don't accept corporate donations. Why not? Corporations make up primary funding of the Democrats and Republicans, why not Libertarians? Accepting corporate money doesn't automatically corrupt your party, nor does it mean you will lean their way.

Next, because of their lack of money, they have no organization or any way to reach out to voters. Putting out a good advert would certainly put them on the spot. Most Americans are probably Libertarian without even knowing it. Publicity is the main reason that the Democrats and Republicans have existed for so long, and media misdemeanors have hurt the Libertarian cause.

Organization is another big issue.. The party doesn't seem to have a platform that follows true Libertarianism, but then again it is always interpreted differently... There needs to be a unified platform and party that appeals to Americans at large, not catering to the wealthy (Democrats) or corporations (Republicans).

Well?
Of course corporate sponsership corrupts -- look at the state the gop and dnc are in. After all, they both signed sealed and delivered a bailout bill for wall street.
I do agree that most people will fall into some part of the libertarian spectrum, and that the libertarian party needs better organization and much better PR. How to accomplish this since the media only has enough time to talk about the gop and dnc, I don't know.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
It sort of makes sense that libertarians resist contributions from corporations because under their policies the American economy would SHRINK to its size in the late 19th century.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I've looked into the libertarian party and consider myself most closely aligned with their views, although I have no idea how they would get the momentum they need. I also agree that corporate contributions would ultimately corrupt the party and make them simply another version of the two trash parties we currently have.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I've looked into the libertarian party and consider myself most closely aligned with their views, although I have no idea how they would get the momentum they need.
It starts with you. Cast your votes for Libertarian candidates. Talk to your friends and family. Put a bumper sticker on your car (we have one on two of our three cars).

In other words, make an effort. We've had three Obamatrons knock on our door in the past few weeks - they wouldn't be pounding the pavement if it didn't get results. The Libertarian Party needs only organize a bit better and ask their supporters for a little of their time. They could easily be the dominant party...

It would also help if they put up a more moderate candidate for the oval office. Most of their choices are as extreme as Obama or Pelosi, just in a different way. If they can't get the support of the political center, they'll never get anywhere.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Their environmental policy is dog****. Let the corporations police themselves. Sure, that will work.

Other than that, I identify most closely with Libertarian politics. If Bob Barr was on my ballot, I'd vote for him, stupid ballot laws here won't even let me write him in!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Their environmental policy is dog****. Let the corporations police themselves. Sure, that will work.

Other than that, I identify most closely with Libertarian politics. If Bob Barr was on my ballot, I'd vote for him, stupid ballot laws here won't even let me write him in!!!
Libertarian ideals are a rather vague and broad interpretation. Personally, I believe in state's rights on issues such as gay marriage, abortion, healthcare, etc. But for the most part, Libertarians support a set of guidelines for how a business should protect its consumers or the environment. Also, while Libertarians do believe in expressing the "ultimate freedom", basic necessities such as fire, police, etc. should all be standard.

Libertarians also encourage independence and more personal choice. On some things such as immigration, I don't agree with the platform, but to be honest that is one issue that should, once again, be left up to the states.

Like what was mentioned, the party needs reorganization..with only 120,000 or so registered members, I don't see it going anywhere without being more proactive.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
A lot of people can't get past the steps that say get our armed forces within our borders or the one that says to decriminalise drugs!

Also the one that says the US government cannot owe any debt~to pay back what we currently owe would mean everyone coming up with about a quarter million dollars!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I registered as a Libertarian about 2 weeks after I turned 18. Sure, as a party they have their issues, but I completely agree on their stances with abortion, illegal immigration, the environment and especially censorship. I just can't stand the bickering between the Demos and the Repubs. It's getting irritating and I don't understand why the majority of people aren't looking for something else, if not something better..... I'm glad they don't take corporate sponsorship... maybe all candidates should stop doing that. I'd like to see where that goes.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
A lot of people can't get past the steps that say get our armed forces within our borders or the one that says to decriminalise drugs!

Also the one that says the US government cannot owe any debt~to pay back what we currently owe would mean everyone coming up with about a quarter million dollars!
Yeah, live within our means -- what are those crazy libertarians thinking Whereas we have tweedledum and tweedledee telling us that they will cut taxes, lower our mortgage payments, give us healthcare, pay for college, and all on the backs of 'the rich'. And yet, look at the massive support they are getting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies