Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Hopefully by raising taxes on the rich we can totally close our 1.15 trillion deficit projected next fiscal year.

Articles: Debt Drag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Oh Bama!!!... he is the spender... American taxpayers credit card is being abused . We are in so much debt we could wind up like France and taxing the rich 75% and lots of rich french people are leaving the country because of it. They will all be poor soon in France with the rich leaving because their taxes fund the poor.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hopefully by raising taxes on the rich we can totally close our 1.15 trillion deficit projected next fiscal year.

Articles: Debt Drag
Two very different ways of looking at this - either in whole numbers, or as a percentage.

National Debt has increased more under Obama than under Bush - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Quote:
If Mr. Obama wins re-election, and his budget projections prove accurate, the National Debt will top $20 trillion in 2016, the final year of his second term. That would mean the Debt increased by 87 percent, or $9.34 trillion, during his two terms.
It's hard for many of us to comprehend a number like $20 trillion. But an increase of 87%? Yeah, I think more people - and I'm one - can easily understand that an 87% increase in the national debt over a span of 8 years is not a good thing.

Is such a large percentage increase historic? During World War II, our national debt soared. But those were extraordinary times, and I doubt many of us would quibble over the necessity of going more into debt as a nation during World War II.

Since World War II, the national debt declined rapidly and consistently through both Democratic and Republican Administrations, right up to Reagan.

snopes.com: Who Increased the Debt?

Quote:
Ronald Reagan:
Took office January 1981. Total debt: $848 billion
Left office January 1989. Total debt: $2,698 billion
Percent change in total debt: +218%

George H.W. Bush:
Took office January 1989. Total debt: $2,698 billion
Left office 20 January 1993. Total debt: $4,188 billion
Percent change in total debt: +55%

Bill Clinton:
Took office 20 January 1993. Total debt: $4,188 billion
Left office 20 January 2001. Total debt: $5,728 billion
Percent change in total debt: +37%

George W. Bush:
Took office 20 January 2001. Total debt: $5,728 billion
Left office 20 January 2009. Total debt: $10,627 billion
Percent change in total debt: +86%
Two points: If projections hold true, and if President Obama serves two terms, the national debt would increase 87% during that time. That's not a good number. No President would ever want to be compared to President Bush II (at 86% during his two terms) economically, or otherwise.

And secondly, the man who is widely revered by Republicans - President Reagan - managed to oversee a whopping 218% increase in the national debt during his two terms in office.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Two very different ways of looking at this - either in whole numbers, or as a percentage.

National Debt has increased more under Obama than under Bush - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

It's hard for many of us to comprehend a number like $20 trillion. But an increase of 87%? Yeah, I think more people - and I'm one - can easily understand that an 87% increase in the national debt over a span of 8 years is not a good thing.

Is such a large percentage increase historic? During World War II, our national debt soared. But those were extraordinary times, and I doubt many of us would quibble over the necessity of going more into debt as a nation during World War II.

Since World War II, the national debt declined rapidly and consistently through both Democratic and Republican Administrations, right up to Reagan.

snopes.com: Who Increased the Debt?

Two points: If projections hold true, and if President Obama serves two terms, the national debt would increase 87% during that time. That's not a good number. No President would ever want to be compared to President Bush II (at 86% during his two terms) economically, or otherwise.

And secondly, the man who is widely revered by Republicans - President Reagan - managed to oversee a whopping 218% increase in the national debt during his two terms in office.

Percentages are irrelevant. We don't have to pay our debt back in percentages, we have to pay it off in dollars. As far as I'm concerned, Obama has surpassed Reagan.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Percentages are irrelevant. We don't have to pay our debt back in percentages, we have to pay it off in dollars. As far as I'm concerned, Obama has surpassed Reagan.
Furthermore, its 1 thing to increase the debt if you are increasing the economy, but thats not whats happening now either..

For example, I'd gladly take on $100M in debt, if my income increases more than $10M a year.

But thats not whats happening here.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Congress spent, on average, 2.8% more than Reagan asked for. And 24.5% over 8 years. Also, every balanced-budget Reagan presented to Congress was declared DOA by (Democrat) Tip O'Neill.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Federal Government's Financial Burden Grows By $10 Million A Minute - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

I.O.U.S.A.: Byte-Sized - The 30 Minute Version - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies