Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times

Advertisements

Virgin Australia | Man Asked To Move Due to Paedophile Fears

Quote:
Earlier today Fairfax Media reported the story of Johnny McGirr, 33, who said he was flying home from Brisbane in April when he took his seat next to two boys he estimated to be aged between eight and 10.

He was assigned the window seat but sat in the aisle seat so the two boys could look out the window.

However, a flight attendant approached him just as passengers were asked to put on their seatbelts, asking him to move.

Mr McGirr said when he asked why, he was told, "Well you can't sit next to two unaccompanied minors."

"She said it was the policy and I said, 'Well, that's pretty sexist and discriminatory. You can't just say because I'm a man I can't sit there,' and she just apologised and said that was the policy. "By this stage everyone around me had started looking."
The article has been updated to say that at least Virgin Australia is 'reviewing' its policy. What on earth were they thinking having such a sexist policy in the first place? What an embarrassing situation for this guy to be in. I would hope he sues and earns a handsome payout from the airline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
This "policy" is in place across the entire white Anglosphere. I don't understand why your culture always has to live in fear when it comes to single/solitary men. In Latin America no one raises concerns such as this, and from I've talked to many Brits as well, neither in Spain. Hell, even Germany doesn't have a problem with single men being around kids. I blame the media entirely, your 21 year old daughter is far more likely to be raped than your neighbor's 14 year old. It's because with the 14 year old it's much more shocking and horrifying, that the media puts its magnifying glass on the 14 year old instead. Now, years later, most people seem to be under the impression that their kid is going to get raped if some man walks near them

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 08-10-2012 at 01:27 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Misandry at its finest. It's so common in the West.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Misandry at its finest. It's so common in the West.
I don't think it's the West as a whole. I think it's worse in white majority English speaking countries, with other Germanic countries taking 2nd place. The Latin and Slavic countries of Europe seem to still have respect and dignity for men, and no reason to irrationally fear them. I didn't think of that at the time, but I think all the spotlight on pedophilia in the English media might be misandry at its core, rather than just for shock value to sell more papers or airtime

Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
An airplane isn't a damn bus, you don't just waltz on and sit where ever you damn well please. Those seats are assigned. if they don't want males sitting with children they shouldn't have assigned him that seat, or refused if he had asked for it. Which he very well may have done because he wanted a window seat or some other non pedophile reason. Which brings up a question, although admittinly not as important, where was the seat he was changed to? Was it a window seat? If they had simply said I'm sorry but that seat's not available when he bought the ticket this wouldn't have happened, so even without the pedophile stuff the airline was still being a dick

Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
An airplane isn't a damn bus, you don't just waltz on and sit where ever you damn well please.
Its kind of like a public bus in the 1950's - certain priveleged people get to sit up front - while the rest are packed into steerage.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Its kind of like a public bus in the 1950's - certain priveleged people get to sit up front - while the rest are packed into steerage.
Yep. In this dya and age, like West of Encino said, it's all misandry. Specifically white misandry. The white northern European male must be degraded.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Airliners’ have become the public busses of yesteryear. They are loud, uncomfortable, crowded and discriminatory. Passengers are little more than self loading cargo with credit cards.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
He should get some sort of compensation for the policy.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times
Bad policy. There is better way to go about. Maybe its time to require that all minors are accompanied by an adult. Or set aside a section for unaccompanied minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies