Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

The biggest issue with threads about same sex marriage or gay issues, is neither same sex marriage, nor the "gay" part. The most important issue is that the debate almost universally represents the unacceptable encroachment of Christianity, into government.

Also, there are many principled, progressive, and ethical Christians who do not align with the RWNJ/Christian Lifestyle Agenda, who accept and welcome gays, who are not disliked by gays, and who believe that the most important protection for religion and government, is a secular government. They exist in large numbers. But they tend to blend into the background, as they don't have political agendas riding on their beliefs.

Sadly, the huge numbers of good Christians are eclipsed, and American Christianity as a whole tarnished, by its most outspoken, regressive, reckless, conservative wackos, who have only one agenda, and that agenda is weaving their brand of religion, into our government.

This is one reason I "bother" with gay threads, no matter how common or repetitive. I don't want *any* religion interfering with our government, period.

Last edited by 43north87west; 08-10-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
You might want to look up the definition.

I don't think it mentions rights.
I know the definition, as I see examples of it here daily...

big·ot

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

A person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

A person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Wiki

Bigotry may be based on real or perceived characteristics, including age, disability, dissension from popular opinions, economic status, ethnicity, gender identity, language, nationality, personal habits, political alignment, race, region, religious or spiritual belief, sex, or sexual orientation.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As unforgiving as many people are of the ancient homosexuals who sinned enough to make God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, I don't think that's possible. I think lack of forgiveness of those homosexuals is the main link for the motivation over why homosexuality is so controversial. At least Jesus forgave, since he never brought up homosexuality.
Why would you think the men in that fable were homosexuals? History and science show us that most men who rape other men are heterosexual, not homosexual.

I guess you (and 99.9999% of anti-gay Christians) have never read the story in Judges 19 where a similar gang of men threatened to rape the Levite stranger and ended up gang raping his FEMALE concubine all night. Or read Ezekiel 16:49 which states what the 'sins' of Sodom were. Nothing about homosexuals.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
To clarify, I don't dislike gays, but I do not agree with gay marriage and would prefer if people weren't gay for their own salvation. It has nothing to do with the person him/herself.
"I don't dislike gays, I would just prefer it if they weren't gay"

Which is like saying:

"I don't dislike blacks, I would just prefer it if they weren't black"

Or

"I don't dislike left-handers, I would just prefer it if they weren't left-handed"

Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
In my experience, and I've been online since before the World Wide Web even existed (anyone else remember Usenet?), threads on gay topics usually go like this:

Someone posts something anti-gay.

Eight or ten people post in agreement.

One pro-gay person posts a mild rebuttal.

Twenty people almost immediately pile on and shriek that the pro-gay poster hates Christianity, is going to hell, is destroying American families, is trying to stifle all debate, etc.

Later that evening, when they get home from work, a few more pro-gay posters respond by saying that the anti-gay posters are wrong, and explain why.

Fifty more people pile on and shriek that the pro-gay posters hate Christianity, etc.

I realize there are reasonable and unreasonable people on both sides, and the C-D forum is not nearly as bad as some I've seen, but IMHO those on the anti-gay side who complain that their voices are never heard are... how shall I put this? Rather misguided.
Pretty much ^

Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you just proved mackinac's point. No matter how many posts told you ad nauseum that the CFA boycott is bout Cathy donating millions of dollars to hate groups, you are still parroting what you wish to believe.
I disagree. It was about a company using their position of power to donate funds to a group that activly works to discriminate gay people.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Did I mention that this thread is gay?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Posters: Why do you bother with gay threads?

Because that's what people do on forums

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Shocking that they used that kind of language back then, isn't it? That''s more proof that the Bible is an assortment of fairy tales that homophobic jews made up the stories to back up their prejudices.
Umm... since the quote to which you're responding was in ENGLISH, I think you'd be better off blaming that one on modern Christians. I'd have to look up the passage first, but pretty sure it doesn't say exactly that in the original Hebrew or Aramaic texts. Case in point, the word "homosexual" does not exist in Hebrew, but I've heard Christians pull translated passages out of their arse containing that word.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-10-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The city wasn't destroyed because of that one incident - there was a history and pattern of homosexual behavior going on - and the cities were cesspools of depravation and perversion across the board.

Only a handful?

"Before they had gone to bed, all of the men from every part of the city of Sodom - both young and old - surrounded the house. They called to Lot, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."

- Genesis 19:4-5

Judges 19:22

" some of the wicked men of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him. ” (ie rape) The owner of the house went outside and said to them, “No, my friends, don’t be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don’t do this outrageous thing. Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish.
But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night"

Basically these men were heterosexual, just as those men in the story of Sodom were heterosexual. Male rape has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It's about power, control and humiliation.

BOTH stories involved breaking the laws of Hospitality to strangers. Neither of them have anything to do with homosexuals.

Last edited by Ceist; 08-10-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies