Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The whole brouhaha is over him carrying a Mexican flag. What is wrong with him showing pride for his heritage? He carried the American flag above the other one - and the USOC has no problem with what he did. Do you remember the Black Power salute in 1968. That was egregious - because it was a political statement. This wasn't - it was a joyous and well earned celebration of a great accomplishment.
I don't have a problem with him carrying a mexican flag. I don't have a problem with him being proud of his mexican heritage. I just don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
I was referring to the Mexican flag.

Nothing against Mexico personally - but I doubt very much that people "have yearned to wave" the Mexican flag.
Obviously this ******* did, but he's made it clear he thinks he's far too good to have to actually live there. He made a pathetic display and did not make Mexico look good at all.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I don't have a problem with him carrying a mexican flag. I don't have a problem with him being proud of his mexican heritage. I just don't.
Yep - there was nothing wrong with what he did at all.

If he had carried only the Mexican flag - that would be another thing.

Let's get it straight people - Mr. Manzano carried the American flag - because he is an American.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Yep - there was nothing wrong with what he did at all.

If he had carried only the Mexican flag - that would be another thing.

Let's get it straight people - Mr. Manzano carried the American flag - because he is an American.
........and a mexican.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Never thought I'd ever agree with you, but I do on this one. If the USOC is fine with his actions, then end of story.

I still maintain that it was a momentary lapse in poor taste and judgment, but definitely not enough to light up the torches and wield the pitchforks over.
The reason this is rubbing some the wrong way is because this is yet another episode of some Mexican people (certain Mexican people not all) in America commonly showing their great patriotism for Mexico while showing America as secondary. It happens at soccer games, sides they take over Mexico/American political topics and now the games. Americans here see this, while paying free healthcare and welfare to them and loosing jobs to them and feel insulted to a degree.

I have spent time in San Antonio and did not get that impression from people there they were friendly and not overly pro-Mexico, but I have been to El Paso and Phoenix and did.

Other people from other places have showed love to their mother country, Italians, Irish, Cubans, they all do. But people from Mexico seem to be the ones who put Mexico on a pedestal any chance they can and that irks some when America is the place giving them true opportunity, I agree with malumute on this.

I guess I am unique in a sense as I was adopted and know NOTHING of my birth parents. I am blued eyed blondish with fair skin though so it is safe to assume I have kind of European genes in me. But if I found out I was from Sweden or Norway or some place I wouldn't feel any connection to a place I have never known , all I know is I am a American.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The reason this is rubbing some the wrong way is because this is yet another episode of some Mexican people (certain Mexican people not all) in America commonly showing their great patriotism for Mexico while showing America as secondary. It happens at soccer games, sides they take over Mexico/American political topics and now the games. Americans here see this, while paying free healthcare and welfare to them and loosing jobs to them.

I have spent time in San Antonio and did not get that impression from people there they were friendly and not overly pro-Mexico, but I have been to El Paso and Phoenix and did.

Other people from other places have showed love to their mother country, Italians, Irish, Cubans, they all do. But people from Mexico seem to be the ones who put Mexico on a pedestal any chance they can and that irks some when America is the place giving them true opportunity, I agree with malumute on this.

I guess I am unique in a sense as I was adopted and no NOTHING of my birth parents. I am blued eyed blondish with fair skin though so it is safe to assume I have kind of European genes in me. But if I found out I was from Sweden or Norway or some place I wouldn't feel any connection to a place I have never known , all I know is I am a American.
Good post.

Im irish and very proud of my heritage, but kinda like you said Im an American born and raised. The US always comes 1st.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Dual allegiances are suspect.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
........and a mexican.
Well to call him a Mexican would be kind of an insult to the people of Mexico. It's not as though this guy would ever stoop so low as to actually LIVE in that country. He can claim all he likes that he loves Mexico --- from afar, but he's not about to put his money where his mouth is.

But it's an insult to Americans to call him an American also.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The reason this is rubbing some the wrong way is because this is yet another episode of some Mexican people (certain Mexican people not all) in America commonly showing their great patriotism for Mexico while showing America as secondary. It happens at soccer games, sides they take over Mexico/American political topics and now the games. Americans here see this, while paying free healthcare and welfare to them and loosing jobs to them and feel insulted to a degree.

I guess I am unique in a sense as I was adopted and know NOTHING of my birth parents. I am blued eyed blondish with fair skin though so it is safe to assume I have kind of European genes in me. But if I found out I was from Sweden or Norway or some place I wouldn't feel any connection to a place I have never known , all I know is I am a American.
Good post indeed. I definitely don't agree with what Leo did, but malamute is being unnecessarily hostile about it.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
When we crack down on this mess, the illegals better take the friggin Mexican flag off there back window of their vehicle and replace it with stars and strips, or be a suspect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies