U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:49 PM

12,235 posts, read 3,327,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
Yet most people would do nothing if a neo-nazi has a swastika in your presence but are offended by a mexican flag. The kid did not mean to offend. He is celebrating his heritage, big deal.

Now if he would have only shown allegiance to the mexican flag and would have not presented himself with the american flag at all I would have had a problem.
Your repeating yourself again after I already replied to you with this?

"Most people in this forum have stated otherwise so why do you continue with the race card? I am offended by the swastika at any time but I am also offended seeing the Mexican flag being flown by an Olympic athlete who is an American citizen competing for the U.S."

The Olympics isn't the time to celebrate your heritage when you are representing a different country in those games. Especially since he had lived here most of his life and became a citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 PM

9,863 posts, read 2,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I dont believe people really care, they only do cause he is "brown". Heck in my town they are neo-nazis and people see them parading swastikas and are ok with it.

I am more offended by a swastika than by a mexican flag

The whole point is that ir is a flag from a country other than the one he is representing.
No matter where from that is disrespectful.

What is so hard about understanding that?

This race crap is sad and your argument is as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,706,872 times
Interesting. When Matt Grevers won several gold medals you didn't see him waving the Dutch flag. His parents are immigrants from The Netherlands and he thought about competing for the The Netherlands (to the point of speaking with the coach of their Olympic swim team). He ultimately decided to represent the USA and that was that. He's just one of many US athletes either born somewhere else or with parents from another country. None of them waved that country's flag along with the US after winning. I think this was in poor taste, but I'm not surprised. Its indicative of the seemingly divided loyalties of recent Mexican immigrants (as in the last two to three decades). I live in a city with a very large immigrant population from all over the world. You rarely (if ever) see Chinese flags on houses, cars or persons. Same goes for The Philippines or Russia. The only one you might see with any frequency is the Irish flag, but that's obviously a cultural statement since most are so far removed (as in many generations) from Ireland its silly to even call oneself "Irish". Mexican flags are another story - they're sported on many vehicles. I lived in Salinas CA for a number of years and it was almost ridiculous the frequency they were displayed (its 70% Hispanic).

Basically, in an international sporting even you should drape nothing but the flag of the nation your representing over your shoulders. I think back to Mo Farah winning the 10,000m gold for Great Britain. He came there from Somalia when he was nine years old. When asked if he felt it was a win for Somalia as well he replied:

“Look mate, this is my country. This is where I grew up, this is where I started life. This is my country and when I put on my Great Britain vest I’m proud. I’m very proud.”

If only Manzano (who came here at only four years old) had such a clear, undivided focus as to his nationality and representation.

Last edited by jeffredo; 08-11-2012 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 PM

10,963 posts, read 4,254,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is obviously wearing USA shirt, and carries two flags, one for US, his new home, and one for his old home, where he was born. I do not think it is wrong to be proud to have Mexican roots.
I agree, there is nothing wrong with being proud of the country of your birth.

To listen to these people would have never known he was carrying the American flag.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM

10,963 posts, read 4,254,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He SAID he represented the US and Mexico. That's more than just "celebrating your heritage". He's been here since he's 4. Mexico had nothing to do with him winning that medal and didn't sponsor him in the least bit.

He wasn't representing Mexico though. He was on the US team, not the Mexican team.
Go look up his statement.
If he' from Mexico then whatever people are in his lineage he carries their genes. Genetics has a tremendous amount to do with athletic ability. Therefore Mexico has a LOT to with him being an Olympic gold metal winner.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 PM

74,995 posts, read 35,714,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If he' from Mexico then whatever people are in his lineage he carries their genes. Genetics has a tremendous amount to do with athletic ability. Therefore Mexico has a LOT to with him being an Olympic gold metal winner.
Really sad that you globalists think so little of the US anymore.
Mexico did nothing to sponsor him yet he stood there and said he represented 2 countries.
The new global generation that has no allegiance to the country in which they became a citizen.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 PM

10,098 posts, read 7,530,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is an act of war, or the end result(conquered) I should say, to raise another nations flag on any soil of another nations soil.
So he's at war with Britain?

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 PM

7,376 posts, read 11,798,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is obviously wearing USA shirt, and carries two flags, one for US, his new home, and one for his old home, where he was born. I do not think it is wrong to be proud to have Mexican roots.
He can be as proud as he wishes of Mexico, but that was NOT the place to display it...
He couldn't have been more wrong. It will be interesting to see if anything is done about it...
I'm sure his coaches and teammates were thrilled..

Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 PM

1,690 posts, read 1,124,225 times
It is a disgrace. I don't care if he loves Mexico. At an international event you should only be carrying the flag of one nation...the one you are representing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
It would depend on whether or not italy or ireland was claiming north america for their own wouldn't it?
I laugh when I see signs like the one the woman is holding. They seem to forget that they lost "their" land in a war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Silver or Bronze is a huge accomplishment.
Silver means you are the biggest loser.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 PM

7,376 posts, read 11,798,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is so much BS about your statement. You know what's in his head ?
Many Mexicans would love to see the Mexican flag raised above or in place of the US flag.
The disdain I see from so many makes me wonder why they stay here.
In the city I used to live in, the City placed American flags on all of the lamp posts in town. In one area with a large Hispanic population, several flags were removed and replaced with Mexican flags by the residents of that area.. They want to live here but turn it into Mexico..
The Mexican flags were removed the next morning and switched out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies