Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
What can be inferred is that the number of extremists and ideologues is withering. It's not about open borders, but some wish it to be. It's not about allegiance, although some pray for it be to further separation. It's not about a globalization, it's about one athlete being able to express himself in a manner as he wishes in accordance with his own countries foundations and standards.

But it is about the way that MY country seems to be finding it's way back to it's foundation and principles and the dwindling of those who would rather see separation and ideology vs. unity. And finally it may indeed seem we are on the way.
One athlete you say. I guess you haven't been paying attention.
How is displaying the flag of Mexico "uniting" ?

When your own country isn't as important as other countries, then yes..you are "on the way".
Have a good trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well of course he should hold the Mexican Flag up with pride. He would have had as equal a chance to grow up and become an Olympic Medalist in the ****hole country that pooped him out as he did here in America, right? I'm mean just because his father crawled out of that cesspool to seek a better life for himself and his family he shouldn't forget all the floating turds in his land of origin. Come on what's wrong with you people anyway.

It's quite possible he would have. But the "wrong" is not with us, it's with those who seem to have a need to denigrate and promulgate HATE and it's by products to make up for their shortcomings.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One athlete you say. I guess you haven't been paying attention.
How is displaying the flag of Mexico "uniting" ?

When your own country isn't as important as other countries, then yes..you are "on the way".
Have a good trip.
One athlete indeed. It starts with one. Displaying one's own freedoms...in the way the country was founded and in accordance with it's history and traditions is uniting. It's uniting the country who's own "story" is a melting pot and of inclusion.

The attempt to interpret the action as saying that one's country is more important than another is a straw man. There was NEVER any such attempt. The only "way" that the country is on, is the American way.

As said before, the word is CONSTITUTION.

Love it, live it...or leave it.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
go back to mexico!!! imagine if it was the other way round

Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
It's quite possible he would have. But the "wrong" is not with us, it's with those who seem to have a need to denigrate and promulgate HATE and it's by products to make up for their shortcomings.
I fly the American flag everyday outside my business eventhough my paternal grandparents are from Chihuahua, Mexico. I would never even think of relating any kind of success or prosperity that myself and my family enjoy because of anything related to Mexico in my background. My Grandfather came to this country because he knew the ONLY hope for his family was to get out of the economic and political stinking ****hole that was Mexico in 1917.

This American athlete's father did the same.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Makes you wonder why they would rather live here and hold dear their Mexican roots rather than move back.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So I guess he's projecting that he represented Mexico as well as the US.
Sad.
Why should patriotism to one's country, culture, and people (in this case mexico) be saddening? Most mexicans would agree with me. I've been aware of this situation for quite some time. Just where have you guys been.

Mexican-Americans loyal to whom? | KETK

Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
He was only representing the USA. He was acknowledging his parents country and the country that bore him. He was displaying the US flag, and holding the Mexican flag. He also was probably working on his branding for endorsements once he returns home to the US. Since that's the only way the get paid and make a living.

What he did was fine, fine, fine.
Not going to help him get endorsements unless he is going to represent something that is marketed strictly to Mexican-Americans. That was a poorly thought out choice, it was sheer indulgence. I assume he didn't stop to think how alienating it would be to many Americans, especially considering the current controversy over illegal immigrants in this nation. His father was one. This really bolsters the argument that these people aren't looking to assimilate in our nation and fully embrace it as their new home. Rather that they want the benefits but that when you get right down to it Mother Mexico will always be foremost in their hearts - even those who arrive here at the tender age of four.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Why should patriotism to one's country, culture, and people (in this case mexico) be saddening? Most mexicans would agree with me. I've been aware of this situation for quite some time. Just where have you guys been.

Mexican-Americans loyal to whom? | KETK
I know where the allegiance is..but it's just been displayed for the world to see.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Can't say it bothered me. Hey, his victory, and as far as i'm concerned, he can celebrate it anyway he wants. If he wants to hurt his own image and potential earnings by alienating people, then it's no skin off of my back.

I remember when DeLa Hoya did the same thing while he was prancing around the ring. I thought it was odd at the time, but i can't say i was disturbed. Obviously, things didn't turn out so bad for him, but that's boxing. If you can fight, you can earn regardless of how many people you p*ss off. (see Floyd Mayweather)

In any case, if he's proud of both countries, then that's his business. His life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies