Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
B.S. He's a dual citizen and was displaying his gratitude not his allegiance. Now IT WOULD be a big deal if he had insisted that the Mexican national anthem and flag be raised over his podium...THAT would be a controversy.

Well there is the philosophical difference. I don't believe people in the U.S. should be able to have dual citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
So I guess he's projecting that he represented Mexico as well as the US.
Sad.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Wrong on so many levels. If a USA athlete were to carry a big American flag and a smaller state flag that would be OK. But I can't recall any USA athlete doing this. To carry the flags of two different nations when you're representing one of the two is wrong, especially since you came here illegally and you benefitted from USA, not Mexico. Here's your one way ticket back to Mexico, so long, we won't miss you.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A.) The United States does not officially recognize dual citizenship
B.) You can only represent one country at a time at the Olympics

What he did was wrong, wrong, wrong.

ROFLMAO. Really? Then the US State Department and more than 70 years of precedent have been illegal according to you.

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Quote:
a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another.
He was only representing the USA. He was acknowledging his parents country and the country that bore him. He was displaying the US flag, and holding the Mexican flag. He also was probably working on his branding for endorsements once he returns home to the US. Since that's the only way the get paid and make a living.

What he did was fine, fine, fine.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well there is the philosophical difference. I don't believe people in the U.S. should be able to have dual citizenship.
People who have dual citizenship shouldn't be allowed to be in elected office, but that's all.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So I guess he's projecting that he represented Mexico as well as the US.
Sad.

More extrapolation for hyperbole. He was projecting that he represented the United States, and acknowledging his parents home country.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wrong on so many levels. If a USA athlete were to carry a big American flag and a smaller state flag that would be OK. But I can't recall any USA athlete doing this. To carry the flags of two different nations when you're representing one of the two is wrong, especially since you came here illegally and you benefitted from USA, not Mexico. Here's your one way ticket back to Mexico, so long, we won't miss you.

1992. Barcelona. He's a US citizen, entitled by all rights and provisions within, to express himself as he wishes...not how YOU wish. Or is it okay to influence others actions and opinions when it offends you, and not have others impose themselves on you when it offends others?

One word. Constitution. Love it, live it...or leave it.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
At very least I hope he realizes why doing that is offensive to the country he is completing for. Whether he thought about it or not draping yourself in a flag is a political statement.
However, at the end of the day this ranks really, really low on the list of things to get your knickers in a wad.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
He is obviously wearing USA shirt, and carries two flags, one for US, his new home, and one for his old home, where he was born. I do not think it is wrong to be proud to have Mexican roots.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Apologies if this has already been posted.

U.S. Olympic athlete, Mexican flag? - CNN.com

For once, I agree with Ruben Navarrette...imagine that!

If your shirt says USA at the Olympics, you are representing the USA. Not Mexico.

Big deal. This guy earned the right to do that. It's not like he raised a fist at the United States. Let him have his moment in the sun. I am proud of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies