Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,931,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But government could stop stealing my money, and it could stop driving up the price I must pay for more/better housing than I prefer to pay. Then I could save up money and start my own business.
If you really had the desire, you could start your own business right now with what you have. You just have to want it badly enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
If you really had the desire, you could start your own business right now with what you have. You just have to want it badly enough.
Not with that well-spoken and clean idiot squatting in the White House.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:52 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,931,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Not with that well-spoken and clean idiot squatting in the White House.
You still can even with the current idiot in chief in office.... You just have to use your head a bit more.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,315 times
Quote:
If government didn't basically force us to spend so much on housing (half of all low-income renters pay at least half their income for rent, according to Mortgage News Daily), we just might be able to save more spend less and pay down debt.

The government does not force anyone to pay to much
for a house that is a persons own fault if they pay to much ! ! !

Old 08-12-2012, 12:54 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,777,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
80% of millionaires today are first generation millionaires who worked to earn their wealth.
Only 20% inherited their wealth.

7 Millionaire Myths - Yahoo! Finance
Many millionaires simply worked, saved, and lived within their means to generate their wealth -- think accountants and managers: regular people going to work every day. Most millionaires didn't get their riches overnight when a rich relative died -- they worked for the money.
Think sports figures. Think authors of best selling books. Think actors and actresses. Some how people "think" that its only policiticans and corporate CEOs that make up the 1%.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,419,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
If they're regular people, how come I've never seen a millionaire burger flipper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because one has to move themselves up from a min wage job. If the best you can do is be a burger flipper for 30+ years then you have sealed your fate in life. No one is going to hand you money.
LOL, I had to laugh at freemkt's comment. Are people really this clueless?

HappyTexan your right, people who expect handouts or will not educate themselves have a poor mans mentality. They have sealed their fate in life. I don't hear anywhere where Obama promises to make them rich. I only hear how Obama wants to take people down. By the way, 250K is not rich.

Next he will pit people against the middle class.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I'm not rich so I have nothing to hoard. However, If it did, I'd hoard it too.

If anyone is saving money for what ever reason
they too are hording for there own reasons, the same as the 1%er's ! ! !

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
the poor the unmotivated the disenfranchised those that refuse to learn and those who refuse to work, want u to invest in their future. if you are a betting man, u wont do it.

3,325 posts, read 3,168,295 times
Quote:
I hoard boxes of mac-and-cheese for the desperate times ahead when many food items will be prohibitively expensive or simply unavailable.
I'm stocking up on ammunition.......I may someday need some mac-n-cheese.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:58 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,086,988 times
1. It is bad because it is a sign things are going to get worse.

2. Taxing at a high percentage won't cure anything...it will make things worse. I think we should abandon the progressive tax system in favor of a flat tax. $25k tax free, everything over that taxed at 30% for individuals. A universal flat tax for businesses at 15% for anything over $100m (i.e. only the largest corporations would pay taxes).

3. The government should buy/pay off 40 to 60% of the student loan debt (both private and federal loans). While I don't like the idea, it would free up $400 to $600+ billion for those with student loans to put back into the economy. I view it as a necessary evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies