Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
The only thing left about being free in this country, is the freedom to speak my mind, but with "free speech zones" TSA, Patriot Act etc, we are slowly loosing our rights and freedoms, even as more wars are being created. They are certainly not to defend and uphold our freedoms, since we are loosing them daily.

Standing up and being a man entails calling out your own government when they are involved in wrong doing, not sheepishly following along with the status quo as they are bringing us all to the abyss.
Well, when you tell me what our government is doing is wrong. TSA was put in place so people "feel" safe. FLy out of Israel one day, and TSA is a walk in the park. Patriot Act has been beat to death. It does not infringe on your rights. Obamas policys he is trying to instill are..
And, with all the countrys that hate us, we need to be one step ahead of them. Patriot Act, which it wasnt called to begin with, had allot more to do with than what the media tells everyone.
USA Patriot Act
Freedom has never been free. The more you want, the more the government takes away, due to the way our country regulates things. Why would it take 62 days to get a permit to open a lemonade stand, for example. Too much regulation takes away many freedoms. The government is too damn big for its britches, and needs to be trimmed down to what the Constitution states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Saddam's death toll was in the millions, between his own people, including Kurds he murdered, the casualties of the Iran-Iraq wars, and of couse those slaughtered in Kuwait. Just the same, not our problem to fix. A JDAM on his head would have done the trick. Once he was dead, there was no reason to stay in Iraq; leave and let them sort it out. We don't need to spend a trillion dollars building a stone-age country into a modern democracy.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
How is the TSA making us safe?
There have been multiple tests made where items more dangerous than a box cutting knife have made it past the TSA.
Just like the bailouts, most American's I know in real life and on internet forums do not agree with TSA policies and would rather see them go away. But, like all things the government only grows bigger and more powerful at my tax paying expense regardless of what American's want.

So you support big government programs when it aligns with your policies, but not with other programs that are against your interests? I believe in having safeguards to protect us like regulations which protects us from corrupt individuals at the government and corporate level, just as I agree with prison for violent individuals, and a defensive military to protect us from corrupt leaders and countries.

As it is now, those writing the legislation, bills and regulations etc are the corporate and financial sector, that then pass it on to their cronies in DC to pass. Indeed, this hurts the small and medium sized business in this country and allows the multi nationals to rig the game in their favor. This I do not agree with, because it is akin to allowing a bank robber to manage your money. Human Corruption is at issue here, and be it a dictator in another country, or the ones in our government, they all need to be held to account and watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Well, when you tell me what our government is doing is wrong. TSA was put in place so people "feel" safe. FLy out of Israel one day, and TSA is a walk in the park. Patriot Act has been beat to death. It does not infringe on your rights. Obamas policys he is trying to instill are..
And, with all the countrys that hate us, we need to be one step ahead of them. Patriot Act, which it wasnt called to begin with, had allot more to do with than what the media tells everyone.
USA Patriot Act
Freedom has never been free. The more you want, the more the government takes away, due to the way our country regulates things. Why would it take 62 days to get a permit to open a lemonade stand, for example. Too much regulation takes away many freedoms. The government is too damn big for its britches, and needs to be trimmed down to what the Constitution states.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
It's not over.
We've got something like 5,000 mercenaries still there.
Er, that's contractors, to some.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
How is the TSA making us safe?
There have been multiple tests made where items more dangerous than a box cutting knife have made it past the TSA.
Just like the bailouts, most American's I know in real life and on internet forums do not agree with TSA policies and would rather see them go away. But, like all things the government only grows bigger and more powerful at my tax paying expense regardless of what American's want.

So you support big government programs when it aligns with your policies, but not with other programs that are against your interests? I believe in having safeguards to protect us like regulations which protects us from corrupt individuals at the government and corporate level, just as I agree with prison for violent individuals, and a defensive military to protect us from corrupt leaders and countries.

As it is now, those writing the legislation, bills and regulations etc are the corporate and financial sector, that then pass it on to their cronies in DC to pass. Indeed, this hurts the small and medium sized business in this country and allows the multi nationals to rig the game in their favor. This I do not agree with, because it is akin to allowing a bank robber to manage your money. Human Corruption is at issue here, and be it a dictator in another country, or the ones in our government, they all need to be held to account and watched.
I did not say it made you safe. I said it makes you feel safe..
Accountability. Thats a laugh. WHo is held accountable in our government. Very few have been, and Executive Orders are , well thats another subject.
Our laws are written by wealthy people who run our government. No doubt. If you dont like it, leave OR, get involved and change it.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:23 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
As you have admitted to, our country and its laws are run by the wealthy, so in order to get involved and make any changes, I would have to become wealthy as well in order to become noticed.

I'm glad we could come to an agreement that our country is not For the people and By the people, nor represents all American's but only the few wealthy elite that control it via laws and most importantly propaganda.

I'll pass and continue to educate my fellow American's on the deception and criminals that run our government and those in bed with them.

Quote:
I did not say it made you safe. I said it makes you feel safe..
Accountability. Thats a laugh. WHo is held accountable in our government. Very few have been, and Executive Orders are , well thats another subject.
Our laws are written by wealthy people who run our government. No doubt. If you dont like it, leave OR, get involved and change it.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:52 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Lets see, in the past hundred plus years.
People we helped go after:
Mao (Killed 50 million, Communist country)
Went after him by what--trying to fête him to death?

Quote:
Pol Pot (died naturally without anyone going after him legally)
He won.

Quote:
Hitler(6 Million Jews, for example, Dictator)
OK.

Quote:
Stalin(Millions killed, Communist country)
Didn't go after him at all, in fact we saved his butt from the aforementioned German.

Quote:
Saddam (Million Killed, Dictator)
One of our old clients.

Quote:
Gaddafi (just felt good seeing that POS die for what he did to our country)
Which was what, trying to have Oliver North offed? That wouldn't have been a great loss.

Quote:
Lenin(Millions of Christians killed with the help of Jews, read some history on this Communist leader)
He won.

Quote:
Rawanda, Tribal leaders killed hundreds of thousands, Dictators
Mogadishu( Thousands killed, Dictator)
Somalia
Yemen,Do I need to explain this one.
Easier just to say most of Africa
Asia
North Korea- Dictator, No one knows how many have died there.
and the list goes on where US brothers/sisters have gone in harms way.
We didn't do anything to speak of in any of those places except North Korea, and not even there since 1953. I'm not complaining; what happens in those countries is not our business.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Went after him by what--trying to fête him to death?

He won.

OK.

Didn't go after him at all, in fact we saved his butt from the aforementioned German.

One of our old clients.

Which was what, trying to have Oliver North offed? That wouldn't have been a great loss.

He won.

We didn't do anything to speak of in any of those places except North Korea, and not even there since 1953. I'm not complaining; what happens in those countries is not our business.
That is the beauty of modern news. You only know what the news tells you.
MAo, we did go after him, but failed.
Pol, couldn't get to him, but we did have people looking during Vietnam
Lenin and Stalin, we couldn't touch, and allot of people didnt know what Lenin did, especially with the backing and assistance with the Jews.
But, for the rest of the countries, please dont believe we aren't/haven't been there trying to assist countries. I know we have/do go to these country's you dont think we are at, and put boots on ground.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Rawanda, Tribal leaders killed hundreds of thousands, Dictators
Mogadishu( Thousands killed, Dictator)
Somalia
Yemen,Do I need to explain this one.
Easier just to say most of Africa
Asia
North Korea- Dictator, No one knows how many have died there.
and the list goes on where US brothers/sisters have gone in harms way.

We have been and did do things in these countrys in the last . Maybe not to your liking or knowledge, but we do get involved. Just because there is not a war, or a dead leader/dictator, doesnt mean we werent there. All I can say is you have to believe me. But if you dont, wont make my job or my friends/fellow service members job any different.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:24 AM

657 posts, read 697,188 times
Twist it all you want, but it was still an illegal war of aggression against a sovereign nation. Before that war, Saddam ruled Iraq with a tight grip. Today Iraq has become a nice little haven for Islamic terrorists and Jihadi fighters who terrorize the local population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies