Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Wow. No, the legality of the matter is not all there is to discuss
I know you feel that this was an act of public indecency that you don't feel you should have to explain to your child. Then don't. A child's mind isn't going to figure out what they were doing there unless you tell them. Just say it's for adults and not children. If they were giving away free booze I assume that would be the answer you would give. Within a few moments your child will see something else and the topic will be over.

Another thing I would like to point out is that most people that are up in arms about this giveaway wouldn't think it's a big deal if they saw someone in the store buying a vibrator, condoms, or lube in front of their kids. It's just as public as the giveaway event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well you keep responding so you must be interested in what everyone else is doing...just saying

Oh, and Samantha Jones wants to know...what's in your "goodie drawer"?
Unlike Samatha I can keep a man!! Now who's getting into others business in the bedroom!!

What's it to you if I respond, you are doing very well at posting yourself.......little fun never hurt anyone.

Are you now the CD police???

Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Funny, the laws say nothing about vibrators being given away, so I assume you are now good with all of this.
Refer to post #660.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
As a mother of two younger kids I find your comments strange. From my point of view, you are saying you don't want to talk to your kids about "difficult" subjects.
Not until I (as their parent) consider them ready, no. And it doesn't matter how many kids you have; it isn't your place to determine when/where my son should hear about it. To do so is every bit as obnoxious as the event we're talking about, in part because that's exactly what it was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I know you feel that this was an act of public indecency that you don't feel you should have to explain to your child. Then don't. A child's mind isn't going to figure out what they were doing there unless you tell them.
So which were you suggesting, the lie or being vague and shady about a product that shouldn't have been brought to my child's attention in the first place?

Quote:
Just say it's for adults and not children. If they were giving away free booze I assume that would be the answer you would give.
If my son's anything like me, he's going to ask "Why?" until he understands something. With alcohol, I can say "That drink's more dangerous for little kids to drink than it is for adults". I can even provide references to confirm exactly what I mean.

Young people and alcohol - what are the risks? : Directgov - Parents

I cannot explain why a little kid shouldn't have a vibrator without talking about sex. Indeed, I shouldn't have to have the conversation with my son until I feel he's ready to hear it. I shouldn't have to dodge the conversation either.

Quote:
Within a few moments your child will see something else and the topic will be over.
There are many things that a child can just forget. Some of these things can't be helped and/or are even necessary... others can be helped and are not necessary (An event where thousands of women are lined up outside in the heat for free sex toys would fall under this category). And I bet you could think of something a child can just forget that still shouldn't be put in front of him/her if you tried.

Quote:
Another thing I would like to point out is that most people that are up in arms about this giveaway wouldn't think it's a big deal if they saw someone in the store buying a vibrator, condoms, or lube in front of their kids. It's just as public as the giveaway event.
Depends on what you mean by "up in arms", I guess. I think even a person buying these products at the store should be somewhat discreet. They shouldn't make a spectacle of it. This event was publicized, not merely "public". People can teach their kids not to be looking at what other people in front of them are buying (kind of rude to do that anyway). It'd be impractical to tell them not to look out the window while driving around in your car.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 AM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So it is about shaming people, because there is nothing shameless about this, they are doing nothing wrong in any sense. Unless getting something for free is shameless.
It's called "couth" ... and even my Mac spell checker doesn't recognize the word, so that may explain why so many here are unfamiliar with it's meaning and concept. It's an ideal that has apparently lost favor, like morality, rationality and critical thinking in our modern times.

"Couth" : cultured, refined, well mannered. In a very crude example ... the concept is such that picking one's nose in public is unacceptable behavior ... it's not illegal or inherently immoral .... everyone does it ... and it is sometimes necessary. But it has become an accepted idea that this is best practiced in private, or performed very discreetly. Many other things fall into that category as well, that simply demonstrates a refinement and familiarity with the conceptual nature of social rules of decorum.

Is this particular situation which had "people" clamoring in lines for an opportunity to be gifted a battery operated sexual probe some earth shattering event that deserves such an extended debate that now covers 68 pages in this thread? No. In and of itself, it should be no big news at all, given the multitude of much more important issues that need far more attention. However, the length of this debate is not necessarily the result of certain individuals making a mountain out of a mole hill, as much as it is a reflection of just how many people are out of touch with the concept of refined behavior, and the sometimes subtle differences that separate those who get it and those who don't.

Now I don't believe that "Boons Farm" should be outlawed anymore than vibrators should be ... but only bubbas would attempt to order a bottle of it in a fine dining restaurant .... most likely the same one's that would smother their Beef Wellington in catchup ... which, the last time I checked, was not a felony .. and only a misdemeanor!

Of course, those that have a grasp of such matters as refined behavior, couth, and decorum already knew the problem was a significant one, as the signs of it are everywhere, as are the clueless confessions of those that don't. And we now have 68 pages of such confessions on record, to accompany the group that rushed to participate in this marketing spectacle for the opportunity to get a free hunk of motorized plastic that they essentially are announcing to the world their eager desire to acquire for the purpose of taking home to drown in body fluids.

And in case you still don't get it .... the more refined individuals that desire the pleasure of sexual toys generally purchase such things in the same discreet manner in which they intend to use them. Contrast that to the less refined individual who sees nothing untoward about flocking to this type of marketing/media spectacle, including their willingness to be interviewed and photographed by the local news reporter about their good fortune in getting their very own double powered energizer dong.

In days past, such types used to be referred to as "Classy Broads". Enjoyed by many for their carefree nature, but rarely taken home to meet mom.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 08-15-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 10:04 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I call this list not knowing how to choose a man!! Do have to say if the Duracell gets rusty all they have to do is buy a new one!!
Very funny. I no longer have or need one, but there was a time...oh yes, there was a time when BOB (battery-operated boyfriend) was a most excellent friend during times of personal drought or during my first [very disappointing] marriage some 20 years ago. Felt like I was personally keeping the Duracell folks in business . But I digress.

The point of the list was more of a general why-some-women-prefer-them as opposed to any personal reasons.

Also, there are many women who are unable to be satisfied through intercourse. The vibrator is a godsend for those people.

I do think it's very telling how this thread topic, along with so many others dealing with female sexuality, bring up the inner prude in so many posters.

Why are so many people completely terrified of female sexuality?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
No No No..............when on camera your/they are fair game!! Camera's can be your best/worse friend.

Nobody went to these peoples bedroom
Absolute rubbish.............. no one forces you to watch anything taken by a camera..... wonder why these people who think it's immoral or whatever didn't switch Chanel's before they fainted?
This is not a act of gross indecency in any way............... queuing has never been a crime.
Maybe we should also blur the screens of Fox or other stations female news anchors who feel the need to wear extremely short skirts or low cut tops on a news chanel....... soooo immoral showing all that thigh........
How silly can we now get with this post?
Maybe we should blame the news crew or camera men/women for filming such outrageous acts as.........
QUEUING????????????????
Too much self righteousness here I'm afraid............. get real PLEASE........

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
What I find funny is we actually have a 68 page debate going on the subject of women standing in a line for free vibrators.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What I find funny is we actually have a 68 page debate going on the subject of women standing in a line for free vibrators.
Indeed. There shouldn't have been such an event to speak of in the first place.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
I am sure there are plenty of events that happen every single day that you disagree with, but no one cares if you disagree with them because you aren't the decency police.

You see this event as wrong and I see it as not a big deal, are you trying to tell me your opinion matters more or are you willing to admit that no one really cares about other's opinions?

Oh and while we are at it, might as well give another shout out to Trojan vibrators and Vic 2.0 for keeping this free advertisement alive and well.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:

I don't know Vic, with all of the other issues in this country, this is just too trivial for me to get all up in arms about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies