Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times

Advertisements

Getting sterilized in Oregon at the age of 15 is not going to be a cake walk. There are a number of steps that have to be done first. The primary one is finding a doctor or facility that will even consider it. If they feel that the child is not able to intelligently make this decision, it then goes to the courts to decide.

Here are the guidelines put in place by the state of Oregon in 2011 regarding sterilization of a minor.

Quote:
436.225 Obtaining informed consent. (1) In obtaining informed consent for sterilization a physician must offer to answer any questions the individual to be sterilized may have concerning the proposed procedure, and must provide orally all of the following information or advice to the individual to be sterilized: (a) Advice that the individual is free to withhold or withdraw consent to the procedure at any time before the sterilization without affecting the right to future care or treatment;
(b) A description of available alternative methods of family planning and birth control;
(c) Advice that the sterilization procedure is considered to be irreversible;
(d) A thorough explanation of the specific sterilization procedure to be performed;
(e) A full description of the discomforts and risks that may accompany or follow the performing of the procedure, including an explanation of the type and possible effects of any anesthetic to be used; and
(f) A full description of the benefits or advantages that may be expected as a result of the sterilization.
(2) A natural parent, or a legal guardian or conservator of a minor child or protected person appointed under ORS chapter 125, may not give substitute consent for sterilization.
(3) Whenever any physician has reason to believe an individual 15 years of age or older is unable to give informed consent, no sterilization shall be performed until it is determined by a circuit court that the individual involved is able to and has given informed consent. Whenever the court determines, under the provisions of this chapter, that a person lacks the ability to give informed consent, the court shall permit sterilization only if the person is 18 years of age or older and only upon showing that such operation, treatment or procedure is in the best interest of the individual.
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/436.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Hitler was for population control and sterilization and he had scientists. Of course his plans weren't to turn the land over to the critters. He just wanted all to be the blue eyed blond haired germans. Well except for the slaves.
I do not advocate for sterilizing anyone to control our population growth so get that thru your head, will you? The way we can control it is thru limiting legal immigration and stopping illegal immigration or is that to Hitler-like for you? I also don't advocate for an all white, blue-eyed, blonde haired society either. That would be impossible anyway since we already have every race, ethnic group, skintnoe and eye color already living here and in fact are citizens of this country. Know who you are talking to before you spout nonsense and make false claims.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM

990 posts, read 938,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It is an issue if you have a fiften year old daughter who wants to perform this "option" that you deem not even an issue. Who is forcing what? LOL
If you taught your daughter right, this wouldn't be an issue for you either. The only 15 year old girls getting sterilized without parental consent are girls with serious issues, these aren't your well-adjusted suburban white girls, they are nearly always going to be kids from welfare-type homes.

Quote:
Focus on the economy. Yeah talk to Obama about doing that. I'm tired of the war on women, abortion, racist rhetoric the democrats keep throwing out there. Good call.
Well, if the right stopped trying to push idiotic RACIST things like the Birther issue and the rest of that nonsense...
If they didn't make their entire platform based around ending a woman's right to an abortion...

Seriously, you people make these social things into "issues" because you can't handle the fact that some of us aren't fooled by a stupid cult and its 2000 year old superstitions.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Try telling that to an insurance company...they kick people out of the hospital because it's not "cost-effective". They bankrupt families because they no longer cover people after they've reached a limit.

Insurance companies will have a major say in your life ending early, moreso than the "death panels" nonsense that's been debunked DOZENS OF TIMES, I don't get how you people can't see this. Are Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann really that convincing to you people?

So do you only believe wacky rumors and completely deny all facts?
Insurance companies have very little to do with my health. I was forced into Medicare 14 years ago by the law and they will remain in control of my life until the Dems do away with Medicare and push me onto Obamacare.

I have to say that you are very funny. You accuse me of being controlled by right leaning politicians who have read the law and immediately go to left leaning debunking and link me to something that came from Media Matters about 3 years ago. If your thinking is based on anything from Media Matters, especially before anybody really read that law you have some real problems.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
No, this is not even an issue. The number of girls who this will happen to is nil. The whole thing is just another scare tactic from the radical "right" who have been forcing their right-wing Christian agenda on us for years.

The same MORON who runs that website is the same MORON who ran the Parents Television Council, the world's foremost censors of television. Why can't these IDIOTS at the PTC and the rest of those Christian Organizations keep their silly superstitions in private at their own homes? If they don't want to have their kids get sterilized, don't let their kids get knocked up (maybe by promoting birth control?). If they don't want South Park or a "wardrobe malfunction" on their TV, try turning the channel or getting rid of the thing altogether.

How about we focus on actual issues, like the economy, unemployment and the BILLIONS we waste every day on frivolous wars on Terror, Drugs, Prostitution, Cuba, Gambling and the rest of those wars on things which can't ever surrender or be eliminated?

Or you people can continue to force your primitive joke of a set of superstitions on us while our economy continues to tank...
You really don't look very far into the future when you are getting all your "debunking" from left leaning blogs. You can't see what this ruling will result in 25 years from now, can you? Keep on pushing MM crap on us but we won't accept it.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
If you taught your daughter right, this wouldn't be an issue for you either. The only 15 year old girls getting sterilized without parental consent are girls with serious issues, these aren't your well-adjusted suburban white girls, they are nearly always going to be kids from welfare-type homes.

Well, if the right stopped trying to push idiotic RACIST things like the Birther issue and the rest of that nonsense...
If they didn't make their entire platform based around ending a woman's right to an abortion...

Seriously, you people make these social things into "issues" because you can't handle the fact that some of us aren't fooled by a stupid cult and its 2000 year old superstitions.
Is it by any chance that Media Matters is your source of what the Republicans think about abortion? I think it surely may be.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Concerning the fact that all of us who pay taxes will have to pay for these procedures I am extremely concerned and nearly as much when I think about who will tell those young black girls just how final this is for them. I think I smell some of that early progressive thinking about taking out whole groups.
LMFAO Roy, when the hell did you start caring about "young black girls" and their babies?

Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
LMFAO Roy, when the hell did you start caring about "young black girls" and their babies?
It never has and never will. It's just a talking point, more like it saying "what if I wasn't a bigot?"

Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I do not advocate for sterilizing anyone to control our population growth so get that thru your head, will you? The way we can control it is thru limiting legal immigration and stopping illegal immigration or is that to Hitler-like for you? I also don't advocate for an all white, blue-eyed, blonde haired society either. That would be impossible anyway since we already have every race, ethnic group, skintnoe and eye color already living here and in fact are citizens of this country. Know who you are talking to before you spout nonsense and make false claims.
I never claimed you advocated for any of that. Pay attention to what you are reading.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:

Ah got it. So you dont care about the kids from the welfare-type homes and neither should anybody else. May as well just kill em all right?

You need to pay attention too and realize who is injecting abortion into this presidential race. I doubt you will though as you apparently haven't paid much attention to anything else based on your posts other than republicans are all cult members and evil or whatever else you can throw around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies