Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 AM

29,699 posts, read 24,780,162 times

Advertisements

Have patience. At the rate things are going today, we won't have a 2 two party system. We will only have "the state". A bloated, massive, parasitic cancer of a state that will dole out prosperity in rationed quantities, while leeching off the ever dwindling productive class. Long live the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 AM

981 posts, read 1,617,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I was just giving you a hard time. Don't worry.

But seriously - politics has always been a messy business. Maybe it's time for you to take a mental vacation from political news for a few days. Everybody needs a break from it once in a while.
Ah, I am sorry for the harried response.

I wish I could relax, but I think we are rapidly accelerating towards a major crisis that we won't be able to ignore. And so I have to stay abreast on the latest news despite how depressing it all really is. I would love to see real change occur, but the current political situations makes that untenable.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Have patience. At the rate things are going today, we won't have a 2 two party system. We will only have "the state". A bloated, massive, parasitic cancer of a state that will dole out prosperity in rationed quantities, while leeching off the ever dwindling productive class. Long live the state!
The FIRE economy will burn it all away.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
It just amazes me how much the Democrats and Republicans have managed to turn American politics into a sport where Americans get divided on team lines and rabidly support their party no matter what. Every time one party assumes office, things inevitably worsen and the other side screams bloody murder that their team can do things much better. And when they eventually weasel their way back into control, things worsen again and the other team cries foul and how they have the answer this time. It is a bloody circus. Americans eat it up, though.
Americas no longer about two opposing views working together for what is best for the country it is about total belief your side is correct and to burn all bridges of compromise.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
Quote:
Ah, I am sorry for the harried response.

I wish I could relax, but I think we are rapidly accelerating towards a major crisis that we won't be able to ignore. And so I have to stay abreast on the latest news despite how depressing it all really is. I would love to see real change occur, but the current political situations makes that untenable.
If you reflect on the political history of our nation, we've been in much worse political pickles in the past and come out the other end a stronger, better nation.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If you reflect on the political history of our nation, we've been in much worse political pickles in the past and come out the other end a stronger, better nation.
That is true; however, times were different then as well. People were far less dependent on complicated systems and government back then. And the world itself is a very different place now. The abundant resources that once existed simply are not there anymore. Fueling the growth that pushed us out of the terrible situations of the past won't be easy like it was then. And we will be competing with many other nations for a smaller and smaller piece of the pie.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
Quote:
That is true; however, times were different then as well. People were far less dependent on complicated systems and government back then. And the world itself is a very different place now. The abundant resources that once existed simply are not there anymore. Fueling the growth that pushed us out of the terrible situations of the past won't be easy like it was then. And we will be competing with many other nations for a smaller and smaller piece of the pie.
Things are always different tomorrow than they were yesterday. That is the basic nature of change.
We survived the civil war.
Bear in mind that we survived the administration of Roosevelt where the republicans thought he was the devil incarnate.
We survived A world war where the entire country was mobilized and everyone had to sacrifice.
We survived the cold war when any day we could wake up to a nuclear dawn and where our children had drills and were trained to crawl under their desk, put their head between their legs and kiss their ass goodbye.
We survived the Vietnam war where the country was completely divided into two factions.
We survived the emancipation of our slave labor force
We survived the liberation of our womenhood and moved them out of the kitchen and into the workforce.
We survived the McCarthy pogroms of the 50s.
In each case, one side or the other felt that losing the fight was the end of our country as we know it but after all was said and done, we survived the change and became a stronger, better nation for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies