Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
well, let's suppose your a 70 or 80y.o. plus U.S. citizen who lives in a big city without a car. . . .maybe even one who has "never" driven (lots of big city residents don't, you know). . . ..they are used to showing their utility bill or some such as valid I.D. They have no idea where the DOT offices are, or how to get there. . . .since the DOT is designed for "drivers", they might not be easily accessable for those without cars. . . .and you are living on a small fixed income. . . .truth is, there are millions of folks in that situation. . .. .some of them fought hard for the right to vote. . . . and you want them to "jump through hoops" in order to continue to do so? Without evidence of voter fraud even, as an excuse? There must be some other reason than that "they have no reason not to have a government issued picture I.D."!
because we need a NATIONAL STANDARD...it doesnt have to be a national id (although it would be cheaper to do it at a national level then to have the states do it), but a national STANDARD needs to be enforced...if each state is different and has their own databases that dont MATCH up with each other, that adds to the costs....a national standard, and a national id would be best and cheapest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
The only valid reasons I can think of.
Raised by wolves in the deep woods.
Mental illness or deficit making them incapable of rational decision making.
They are a hermit on top a mountain and never venture to civilization.
Anything else is a lame excuse.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM

390 posts, read 265,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
You didn't cite the opinion of SCOTUS, you cited a commentary. That's hardly fair evidence.

But

Lol, even your own source said it. QUALIFIED VOTERS.

That does not mean everyone. States determine the qualifications for voting, and they are free to implement voter ID laws as long as they avoid the poll tax designation.

State legislatures could very easily pass a law stating a government issued ID is needed to be a qualified voter.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A picture ID only proves that the person in the picture is the person standing before you. It still does not prove that you are a united states citizen (or of legal drinking age in case you ever worked as a bouncer in a bar in a college town)

That's right, then it's matched to the registered voter roll.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Sorry, not believable.

That is federal law and that pharmacy would have DEA and FDA agents crawling all over it if that were the case.

Stop lying.
My mother had back surgery a little over a month ago. Never had to show my ID just her insurance card.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
we need a national ID

even the Late Senator Ted Kennedy said so...Chuch Schumer even wants biometrics on it

I for one hope we DO go to a national Identification card or National Drivers license

95% of all industrailized countries have a national id/drivers license
That's fine as long as it 100% free and easily accessible to obtain in every neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Hitch hiked through the western states years back..I was not a U S citizen and did not have ID.. but I did okay...all I carried with me was a note I had written - It contained my full name- address- DOB...The only reason I carried that piece of paper was if I were to suddenly die- They would know where to send the corpse...Kind of like a little kid with a note pined on his shirt in case he got lost...No ID was an inconvenience back then- nothing more. Now- you become a non-person and you can get jerked around hell's half acre by authorities and banks. The only ID I need in the end will be etched in stone on a black granite cross.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That's fine as long as it 100% free and easily accessible to obtain in every neighborhood.
why should it be free???

its not free in france..or switzerland..or norway...or italy..or germany..or belguim...all have national id/drivers license

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
we need a national ID

even the Late Senator Ted Kennedy said so...Chuch Schumer even wants biometrics on it

I for one hope we DO go to a national Identification card or National Drivers license

95% of all industrailized countries have a national id/drivers license
If you're argument for national ID is that every other industrial nation has one, we better go along and get ourselves some mandated time-off, maternity leave, and single-payer.

Quote:
because we need a NATIONAL STANDARD...it doesnt have to be a national id (although it would be cheaper to do it at a national level then to have the states do it), but a national STANDARD needs to be enforced...if each state is different and has their own databases that dont MATCH up with each other, that adds to the costs....a national standard, and a national id would be best and cheapest
Your drivers license, state-ID card, and passport are all recognized nationally, with the passport being issued by the U.S. Government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Lol, even your own source said it. QUALIFIED VOTERS.

That does not mean everyone. States determine the qualifications for voting, and they are free to implement voter ID laws as long as they avoid the poll tax designation.

State legislatures could very easily pass a law stating a government issued ID is needed to be a qualified voter.
A couple of states do have those. I'm not arguing that the right to vote is a reason we shouldn't have voter-ID laws. I'm pointing out that it is a constitutional right, or did you miss that part of the Supreme Courts opinion?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Well you usually need it to cash a check and there are other checks besides a payroll check.

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!

Not everyone is like YOU. THis is what the problem is here, with your post & many others.
Ypu just refuse to see that this country has a very heterogenous population.
MANY MANY people are retired, so no longer are working.
I have not shown an ID to cash a check in at least 10 years - I just slide it through the ATM machine. Or I take a picture of it on my cellphone. DIes that equate to "USUALLY Need it to cash a check?"
yes, I needed an ID to open my account - but that was 30 - 40 years ago, and that ID is long expired. I personally have current ID's, but can't you put yourself in the shoes of a person who opened a bank acount 40 years ago, uses public transportation, or maybe no transportation at all because they are too physically frail to travel, has been collecting a pension or SS for 10 or more years, and thus has no currently valid ID?

THe world does not revolve around YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies