Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I've seen cell phones go for $20, if you consider that a luxury, you must be dirt poor. I feel bad for you man.
It was a luxury item when they started this program, and it's still a luxury in the sense that it's not a necessity. And as I said before, it's not just the phone it's the plan. Where can I get a cell phone and a two year plan for a total price of 20 dollars?

Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It was a luxury item when they started this program, and it's still a luxury in the sense that it's not a necessity. And as I said before, it's not just the phone it's the plan. Where can I get a cell phone and a two year plan for a total price of 20 dollars?
I don't consider cheap cell phones a life of luxury, I guess we have different standards. My cell phone costed $80 and it's basically a piece of crap, but it will do.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
PLus there is a tax on your cell phone bill for this and other little phone "necessities" for freeloaders.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't consider cheap cell phones a life of luxury, I guess we have different standards. My cell phone costed $80 and it's basically a piece of crap, but it will do.
Maybe you can get one of your "share the wealth" buddies to chip in and buy you a new one??

Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I pay for my phone. I guess blondes don't qualify for a free phone. There is not one of those free phones stores in my area.
Hold up...so as of this moment, there are 231k free phone subscribers in Maryland alone, and we're all supposed to believe that those 231 thousand people all live in the ghetto?

REALLY?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Really? What county do you live in?

I can't believe some of you get outraged by things like this. And then if there's a story about civil rights being advanced, you screech, "Don't we have more important things to worry about?!"
Do you actually pay federal income tax? If so, do you approve of your tax dollars being p*ssed away carelessly via federal programs?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
I'm sorry, but everybody has this all wrong.

The number one factor that keeps people in poverty is a lack of resources - resources necessary to find and stay in a job, resources necessary to maintain community contacts, etc.

A phone connection is one of them. Cell phones aren't the luxury items of the past - nearly everyone has one today. And often, for poor individuals, it's the only practical way of staying in contact with potential employers and their community, because they may be at a point in their life where they are homeless and couch-surfing, or may not be able to consistently pay the landline bill and risk disconnection (and thereby have to pay reconnection charges), etc.

This program provides poor people with that necessary resource and could potentially lift people out of poverty.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

The number one factor that keeps people in poverty is a lack of resources - resources necessary to find and stay in a job, resources necessary to maintain community contacts, etc.

A phone connection is one of them. Cell phones aren't the luxury items of the past - nearly everyone has one today. And often, for poor individuals, it's the only practical way of staying in contact with potential employers and their community, because they may be at a point in their life where they are homeless and couch-surfing, or may not be able to consistently pay the landline bill and risk disconnection (and thereby have to pay reconnection charges), etc.

This program provides poor people with that necessary resource and could potentially lift people out of poverty.
Okay, this is a fair point........ HOWEVER....... since the program was started, there are far more people in poverty (thanks current Dems and Reps)

There are many other factors involved, but one of the fundamental problems in society today is the selfish nature of people and a larger portion of people wanting everything handed to them without giving anything in return

Everything feels better when you EARN it.....

Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

When did communication forms become an entitlement?

The federal government has no duty or Constitutional authority to provide certain citizens with every necessary resource to potentially lift them out of poverty. (Clue: the General Welfare clause does not apply.)

Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Oh, this thread again.

Fun fact: Every time you spend a buck on providing phone service to the underprivileged, you spend three on providing phone service to rural America. The "real Americans" in fly-over country take 3 times more out of the Universal Service Fund than the low-income programs do.

And nobody gives a hoot. Can someone explain to me why it's horrible to spend 1.3 billion on Low-income phone programs, but OK to spend $4 billion to ensure that East B*tt****, ND, has phone service?

Incidentally, it's much cheaper to provide cell phones than landlines in urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies