Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times

Advertisements

It's not just France.

Wealthy Brits look to flee abroad to escape high taxes, crime and rain - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, well for the privilege of living in France for at least a few years, i'd deal with paying the tax. That place is GREAT!!
That's nice. You can also live in nicer areas of Europe and pay fewer taxes.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,646 times
I truly don't understand the obsession with taxes?

Shouldn't the question be how they are used rather than their level (providing they're not overwhelming)?

After all, it's a math thing, you might pay more in taxes if you earn more, but then you still have much more after, no?

I don't mind taxes in themselves. Why should we?

But I'd rather them go to education, health and so on. And no country is perfect in that way, that is certain, but shouldn't we all (regardless of countries of origin) aim for that rather than qualify tax as a horrible thing?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
But they have NHS. NHS!!! Why would they want to leave such a utopia?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
There are retired wealthy Brits all over the planet, but if you examine the locations with higher concentrations of them, you will see that the climate in the destination weighs is heavier than anything else. Russia has very low taxes, but you don't find wealthy foreigners there.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's nice. You can also live in nicer areas of Europe and pay fewer taxes.
Nicer than France? In what way exactly? I've been to every single Western European nation and half of the Eastern ones.

France is pretty damn nice. No, i'm not saying it's the nicest place in Europe, but there aren't more than a handful of countries IF THAT that are any better overall.

Especially when i take food and wine into consideration (the most important things). It's pretty much a blowout unless Italy is in the competition.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
The idiot liberals never learn.

Here in Maryland the Democrats passed a "millionaire's tax" to fund their social welfare/vote buying government programs. Guess what happened? Maryland lost 1/3 of its millionares and tax revenue actually went down. Poetic justice, in my mind--the very mooches that were claioring for the "soak the rich" policies advanced by the Democrats, actually ended up screwing themselves in the end. They are the ones who had to make up the difference in the form of increased sales taxes, increased property taxes, increased flush tax, etc. (Democrats LOVE regressive taxes, just look at what they've done to low and middle income taxpayers in this state.)

These left-wing ideologues are so very clueless. Any rich person with a brain is going to find a way to avoid paying confiscatory taxes to fund a failed government bureaucracy that does more harm than good.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Leave the country and you leave your passport behind. There have to be consequences for abandoning your duty as a citizen.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nicer than France? In what way exactly? I've been to every single Western European nation and half of the Eastern ones.
Ah yes, the "I've been there" anecdote. Paris sucks. Crime, filthy streets, bad attitudes from locals. Way too many tourist traps. Some rural areas are ok but look much like the rest of Europe. This is from someone who was raised there and not just a sidewalk cafe tourist.

These people can opt for Monaco. Same French culture but much more inviting tax climate.

Quote:
France is pretty damn nice. No, i'm not saying it's the nicest place in Europe, but there aren't more than a handful of countries IF THAT that are any better overall.
I invite you to do a double take.

Quote:
Especially when i take food and wine into consideration (the most important things). It's pretty much a blowout unless Italy is in the competition.
You obviously haven't really been around Europe and btw wine from other regions of the world beat out France. The France wine is ZOMG awesome is an old stereotype.

But if you like France, that's cool. Go there and leave us happy Americans alone.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Leave the country and you leave your passport behind. There have to be consequences for abandoning your duty as a citizen.
Fortunately for Europeans, they don't view leaving for greener pastures as draconian as Americans do. That is one of the (few) beauties of living in the EU. The tax laws aren't as middle aged as ours where you are taxed in the US regardless of where you reside.

America is the only civilized country in the world that has such backazwards tax policy to punish those who work abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies