U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 8,133,568 times
Reputation: 8886

Advertisements

John Wise watched a tear roll down his wife's face as he stood alongside her bed in the intensive care unit. She'd been unable to speak after suffering a stroke and seemed to be blinking to acknowledge him, Wise confided to a friend who had driven him to the hospital.The couple had been married 45 years and Wise told his friend that they had agreed long ago they didn't want to live out their years bedridden and disabled.
So a week after Barbara Wise's stroke, investigators say, her husband fired a single round into her head. She died the next day, leading prosecutors to charge the 66-year-old man with aggravated murder Wednesday in what police suspect was a mercy killing.

Ohio hospital shooting: Mercy killing or murder? | Yahoo! Health

Not sure if this topic belongs here or not, but its something worth discussing. I know I'd want my SO to put an end to me if I was suffering with no end in sight. There's no way in hell I want to be sitting around like a vegetable for X amount of years or be in a position of complete helplessness. That's no longer living, that's just existing in an empty vacuum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,856 posts, read 6,917,182 times
Reputation: 2951
Would need to know more about her state after her stroke. Was it reversible or not, complete paralysis or not, etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM
 
20,675 posts, read 8,833,804 times
Reputation: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Would need to know more about her state after her stroke. Was it reversible or not, complete paralysis or not, etc., etc.
You don't need to know more because it's none of your business. The two or them made a pact together of the quality of life that each wanted. He was doing what his wife wanted. He did it because he loved her and wanted to respect her wishes. I can only imagine the pain he is in for losing the love of his life. And now he is being punished for it. Its just not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,116,018 times
Reputation: 14896
Like it or not a "mercy killing" is murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,176 posts, read 973,964 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
John Wise watched a tear roll down his wife's face as he stood alongside her bed in the intensive care unit. She'd been unable to speak after suffering a stroke and seemed to be blinking to acknowledge him, Wise confided to a friend who had driven him to the hospital.The couple had been married 45 years and Wise told his friend that they had agreed long ago they didn't want to live out their years bedridden and disabled.
So a week after Barbara Wise's stroke, investigators say, her husband fired a single round into her head. She died the next day, leading prosecutors to charge the 66-year-old man with aggravated murder Wednesday in what police suspect was a mercy killing.

Ohio hospital shooting: Mercy killing or murder? | Yahoo! Health

Not sure if this topic belongs here or not, but its something worth discussing. I know I'd want my SO to put an end to me if I was suffering with no end in sight. There's no way in hell I want to be sitting around like a vegetable for X amount of years or be in a position of complete helplessness. That's no longer living, that's just existing in an empty vacuum.
I agree with you. IM not gonna lie. I would rather be dead, than living a miserable life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,176 posts, read 973,964 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like it or not a "mercy killing" is murder.
Idk if your male or female, but lets say a similar thing happened to you , and what if you wife or husband put you out of your misery, because they didn't want you to suffer for the rest of your life, do you want them thrown in jail for Murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM
 
20,675 posts, read 8,833,804 times
Reputation: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like it or not a "mercy killing" is murder.
So what. If that is the will of someone who are we to prevent it and punish them for it......or punish those who carry it out. It is not our business. It is their right to determine how they want to live or die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,856 posts, read 6,917,182 times
Reputation: 2951
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You don't need to know more because it's none of your business. The two or them made a pact together of the quality of life that each wanted. He was doing what his wife wanted. He did it because he loved her and wanted to respect her wishes. I can only imagine the pain he is in for losing the love of his life. And now he is being punished for it. Its just not right.

Unfortunately I WOULD need to know more. If she had a shot at actually living, w/ speech paralysis or partial facial paralysis being her only disability compared to being a vegetable, it would indeed sway my opinion on his actions.

If she could have survived and been only partially disabled then yeah, I'd string him up. If not I probably would work some kind of plea deal, but he would do some kind of penance.

Plain and simple. So yeah... I WOULD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
19,527 posts, read 17,776,450 times
Reputation: 17321
If she had no hope of being something other than a vegtable, then he should walk free but if there was good chance of recovery then he should go to jail for murder. I do not think a week is really not long enough to determine whether or not the state she is in is reversible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
 
11,535 posts, read 8,790,859 times
Reputation: 3580
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You don't need to know more because it's none of your business. The two or them made a pact together of the quality of life that each wanted. He was doing what his wife wanted. He did it because he loved her and wanted to respect her wishes. I can only imagine the pain he is in for losing the love of his life. And now he is being punished for it. Its just not right.
Do you know this for a fact?? Proof??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top