Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
judging by some of the comments here we should ban the american flag and shouldn't even put a flag in our yard...
I'm curious. How did you infer any of that from the comments in this thread?

As for me, I'm very pleased that the UK did so well, but I'm even more pleased that the U.S. "won" the Olympics and beat the crap out of those Commie Chinese bastards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
I watched the Olympics on CTV and TSN, there was plenty of "USA USA" chanting going on.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
They questions Gabby Douglas' patriotism. That isnt bashing?

"You know, Gabby had that great moment, and everyone was so excited, and she's in hot pink -- and that's her prerogative," Camerota said. Webb, who hosts a program on Sirius/XM's "Patriot" channel, wondered, "What's wrong with showing some pride?""

Fox News Wonders Why Team USA's Uniforms Are Not Patriotic Enough (VIDEO)
I was equally appalled at that segment.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
I had to post this after watching the Olympic coverage. All I seemed to hear this olympic year, is "go world"! What??? No, go USA! It seems like ever since Barack Obama took office, everyone has been apologizing for and putting the U.S. down. I am so tired of "Americans" hating on America. Man up and stand up for this amazing country. We are exceptional and need to act as such.
Americans did, in the pool, on the court, on the track, in the gym, etc.

Actions spoke louder than words once again.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM

175 posts, read 273,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I'm curious. How did you infer any of that from the comments in this thread?

As for me, I'm very pleased that the UK did so well, but I'm even more pleased that the U.S. "won" the Olympics and beat the crap out of those Commie Chinese bastards.

So you think I hate the chinese or something?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
They questions Gabby Douglas' patriotism. That isnt bashing?

"You know, Gabby had that great moment, and everyone was so excited, and she's in hot pink -- and that's her prerogative," Camerota said. Webb, who hosts a program on Sirius/XM's "Patriot" channel, wondered, "What's wrong with showing some pride?""

Fox News Wonders Why Team USA's Uniforms Are Not Patriotic Enough (VIDEO)
Fair enough. I was thinking the made in China thing but indeed, a stupid segment.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times
The only time I heard "Go World" were during the Visa commercials every commercial break for 2 full weeks. I can see how someone would think that meant we were rooting for the entire world, but that was just a campaign slogan for an advertiser.

Staying on the topic of Visa, I liked how Visa will send one lucky "winner" to the Olympics for life, starting in 2016. So basically this means only Summer Olympics, and your "prize" doesn't arrive for 4 more years. Plus, they only mention that you get to go to the Olympics (meaning they probably only provide tickets to the events)...you're still going to have to come up with airfare and hotel accomadations. Seems like an awesome "prize." GO WORLD!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
I had to post this after watching the Olympic coverage. All I seemed to hear this olympic year, is "go world"! What??? No, go USA! It seems like ever since Barack Obama took office, everyone has been apologizing for and putting the U.S. down. I am so tired of "Americans" hating on America. Man up and stand up for this amazing country. We are exceptional and need to act as such.
A Michael Medved fan I see. "Go world"? Where did you hear that? "Everyone has been apologizing"? Define everyone.

Because of the way NBC delivered the games on several of their networks, I was able to see pretty much any event as they happend, not just the usual spoon fed events in prime time. Speaking of which, if one didn't any better, they might have thought the US women's gymnastics team was competing against only 2 Russian's and a few Chinese girls. Because that's ALL they showed on prime time. Is that what you mean by "go world"?

So proud of our team. Medal count was incredible. Our swimmers, gymnasts, track athletes, women's soccer team (how awesome was that tournament?), basketball teams, volley ballers, on and on... Not apologizing for anything here! Sorry to confuse you, but this left leaning American DOES love this country (stands up for her everyday), supports our president, cheers louder than anyone for OUR team, and thought NBC's coverage was overall pretty good. Not because they are NBC, but because of their coverage, I was able to see every minute of every soccer match played. For me, that right there gave them a big thumbs up. Oh, and I wasn't being sickend by the Today Show as you were, because I was too bust watching live events on their other channels. You know, Olympic events.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
So you think I hate the chinese or something?
No, I'm just wondering why you think anyone here wants to burn the U.S. flag.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
As a teenager, I was a competitve athlete, and so are my children. I was taught, and I have also taught them, that your exceptionalism is demonstrated on the field, not by making as a$$ of yourself by denigrating other athletes and their accomplishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies