Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My personal tax returns are not your business, I use examples to prove my point, hell the IRS says "if you are married you can file head of house hold if you meet these requirements"
Because you are in de facto a single parent, if not currently legally one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Everyone pretty much agrees there are people that need help, financially in this country. But many are tired of the amount we keep increasing to them, and therefore the more we get taxed for these programs. More than 50% of the US doesnt pay taxes.
I propose for all you that truly want to help the poor, when you do your tax returns, reject your refunds..Therefore the Government will have more funds to distribute to the needy..
Why should I do that when the $$$ I reject may well go to things like a shoddily constructed, unuseable police station in Iraq or an~ $500M jet fighter that can't be used for its intended role? There is waste in other areas besides social programs yet the GOP has no problem cutting only there while wanting to increase donations to the military-industrial complex.

No thanks, I'll take every damn cent of my refund which really isn't a refund, it's the repayment of an interest free loan.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
I like Bermuda's system. You will get help if you are able bodied and working but not making enough. If you are able bodied and not working, you get no help.
Their government helps those that help themselves.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
What would Jesus do?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,976,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Safety nets help to prevent outbreaks of violent crimes during economic downturns, as happend during the depression.

It creates a stable environment for business to flourish, without constant threat of being over run by hoards of people looking for food.
Private charity can do that just as, if not more, effectively than the government can. Private charity helps the truly downtrodden. Government intervention creates an underclass of people who "vote for a living." Of course liberals love this because government dependency breeds new voters. If you survive at the teat of the government you will vote for the party of government.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
If everyone agrees per the OP then shouldn't he be asking everyone to reject their refunds? I get confused by threads that seem to be on both sides of the fence.

Anyway, yes. EVERYONE agrees that we need to help the poor and that there needs to be some sort of a social safety net. NO ONE would like living in a world without one. What people disagree on is the implementation of such things. THe "tax refund" idea is silly, for all the reasons people have explained.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Private charity can do that just as, if not more, effectively than the government can. Private charity helps the truly downtrodden. Government intervention creates an underclass of people who "vote for a living." Of course liberals love this because government dependency breeds new voters. If you survive at the teat of the government you will vote for the party of government.
Private charity never has, and never will, help the amount of people that the government can.

Did private charity end the depression? Did it feed everyone during the depression?

The answer is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies