Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yep; you're right on the money and thank god your constitution didn't mention the right to have nukes or else all you nutbars would have one or more of them also. What the hell?

I spent a significant part of my career as a machinist working on the challenge of machining ceramics (a real ***** by the way) for the sole purpose of producing a semi-auto handgun as early as 66. Being able to make something deadly doesn't necessarily lead to desiring to do so; or does it?
What ceramic gun/parts of guns was that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
A psychological examination before being allowed to purchase, own and carry a gun? As swagger has mentioned that is setting up for favoritism or prejudice depending who is giving the test and approving the outcome.

A woman clearly distraught goes to take the test as she is wanting to buy a handgun. She explains that her ex has been threatening her and has said "if I can't have you nobody will and you'll never take my kids away".

The person asks her a series of questions...

doc~"I see you have mentioned that you are fearful of your husband"?
her~ "yes I have been fearing for my life and for my children, I have lost much sleep lately and I am scared"
doc~"I see, you haven't been sleeping much?, loss of sleep can effect judgment". You mentioned your children, that means you want a gun in the house with your children?"
her~ "yes I am fearful for their lives as well as mine"
doc~ "*statistically a gun in the house with children is more dangerous for them than without one according to *research*".
doc~" are you on any medication?".
her~ "yes for social anxiety"
doc~ "oh you take meds for anxiety, do you think that maybe you are over reacting to your husband?"
her~ "no"
doc~ "well........., I will evaluate these questions and I will submit these results to the authorities. Pending approval it may take 4 to 6 weeks, please pay at the desk on your way out thank you"

A week later police responded to a murder at her residence, despite a restraining order her husband came to the house and strangled her , 5 weeks later her approval for a purchase of a gun was received in the mail, the office in charge of approvals didn't get the word that she didn't need one anymore so it seems.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Sure Lionking and she was denied anyway......

Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Sadly it's too late for us to escape the gun culture that we now have. I partly understand why conservatives don't want guns to be taken from the people because there are still plenty of illegal guns out there being possessed by people with bad intentions. I'd want to protect myself as well with a gun rather than letting people who have stolen guns keep there's, if and only if we take the guns from people without gun licenses should we consider limiting how many citizens should have guns. But because that's not happening and most of the people who are killing each other don't have gun permits and are using stolen/illegal guns then we, the citizens deserve to have ours as well for protection.
We have the same "gun culture" now that we have always had, and we used to have a Wild Wild West. Something has changed. Society is going through drastic change and perhaps these idiots don't see a future. This, coupled with the isolating factors that technology can have and the loss of community.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Sure Lionking and she was denied anyway......
Which could have happened also. Either way it would be a travesty that could have been prevented and if certain politicians and anti-gun groups had any say so on the tests they would make it very hard for anyone to be approved.

Her husband might not have strangled her however, he might have shot her with a gun he bought through black market means and or one that was old and never registered that no one could never have stopped him from getting hold of which a test following the law wouldn't done anything to stop him from getting or using it.

So who's life is worth more and who's is expendable for stricter gun control? Is her life expendable as a statistic that stricter gun control over all might stop a lunatic. She may have died because of stricter regulations but in the grand scheme a few others might not at a movie theater? If that was your friend or daughter or sister that just got murdered by her ex are you gonna feel ok knowing someone else that really was a lunatic might not have got a gun even though regulations took her life? I don't know about you all but I don't judge the worth of my life and my loved ones by statistics.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,685,867 times
more info coming out of this College station shooter Thomas Caffall. he has an active online profile on facebook. his mother claims he was suffering from mental illness for some years now. He likes Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann and Guns.

College Station Shooter Posted About Guns, Politics

Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
more info coming out of this College station shooter Thomas Caffall. he has an active online profile on facebook. his mother claims he was suffering from mental illness for some years now. He likes Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann and Guns.

In short a wingnut in the truest sense of the word.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post

Well not actually "active" since those posts are dated summer 2011.
No posts past that either.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In short a wingnut in the truest sense of the word.
Did you read any of his posts ? Didn't sound wing nut to me. He bought a gun and was looking for a cleaning kit and asking what type of bullets he should get and this was last year..May 2011.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That is the WORST idea EVER.

Do you fully comprehend what you're proposing? Do you??

You're putting people's Constitutional rights into the hands of a psychologist or psychiatrist. Think about that. Doctors are notoriously anti-gun, and you want to give them carte blanche authority to permanently end a right that's guaranteed by the Constitution.

Imagine the outrage if you applied the same standard to those rights protected by the 1st Amendment. Or the 4th.

"Sorry, sir, but you failed your psych eval. You're not permitted to practice Islam. Please ignore the fact that your assigned psychologist is Jewish."

Is that REALLY the road you want to go down?

Psychiatrists are "anti-gun???" Do you have any evidence of this?

Just to clue you in, your 2nd Amendment rights are not unlimited. We long established that there certain conditions or offenses that can allow the state to prohibit you from owning a firearm. I think most can agree that certain psychological conditions should preclude one from, at the very least, carrying firearms in public places.

Since you broached the subject of another right that is not unlimited, the 1st Amendment, it's worth noting that it has enjoyed a special status from the Court and is essentially seen as the "lynchpin" of all rights and is thus given the most protections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies