Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times

Advertisements

Arlington, VA is the perfect example of why taxes and governance should be kept to the most local level possible as I get to see with my own eyes the results of those levied, local taxes. I run on Arlington trails, I take out books from Arlington libraries, I use Arlington utilities and they are very well run and efficient. I don't even have a problem knowing that a bit of my taxpayer money goes to subsidize low income families who live in the county.

For Virginia, I pay a modest 5.5% state income tax and it's a pleasure doing so because I believe in paying taxes if I know I'm getting a good bang for my buck, which I am in Virginia. My 5.5% pays for nearly ivy-league level schools in UVA and William and Mary and keeps a Top 10 engineering program affordable at Virignia Tech. In addition I'm funding a legislature that's lived within its means, hasn't raised taxes and balanced its budget for the 3rd year in a row. In Virginia, Democrat lawmakers actually allow Republican proposals to the floor instead of blocking everything for the sake of blocking. We've had 4 governors out of the last five: two republican and two Democrats who have all had one goal for Virginia: making our state better than yours. Under Democrat Mark Warner, we were rated the #1 state in which to do business. Under both parties in Virginia, it's always been about making the state a better place to live.

I guess my point is this: I'm whacko right wing fiscal conservative/libertarian on economic issues, yet I can say I proudly pay taxes to these two governmental entities because I SEE with my two eyes the results and benefits of carefully used tax revenues and good government. Contrast that with the federal government where 7.65% of my income goes to a Ponzi scheme called social security which has 20 trillion in unfunded obligations, and a nice 20% to the Federal Government where my money will be used to fund Israel's military, build traffic circles in Wyoming, bomb Pakistani civilians and provide handouts to lazy people. Simply put, outside of NASA, the federal government hasn't done anything beneficial since the Interstate Highway System was built.

Surely, you can see why libertarians are pissed and want to slash 1 trillion from the federal budget because we see ZERO return on our tax dollars and get a do-nothing legislature and a clueless president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Doesn't hurt that Virginia and Arlington County gets a lot of bucks from the federal government and a large portion of their well paid civil servants as residents.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Weren't you one of the ones complaining about all the contractors that "suck" on the government teet that are basically propping up the Arlington economy a few months back?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Doesn't hurt that Virginia and Arlington County gets a lot of bucks from the federal government and a large portion of their well paid civil servants as residents.

As per typical liberal spin, all the OPs points were completely lost.

From a fellow Libertarian, fiscal conservative, and having paid CA over $4k in taxes this month (knowing full well they'll be wasted on social failures); Great post OP!!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Arlington, VA is the perfect example of why taxes and governance should be kept to the most local level possible as I get to see with my own eyes the results of those levied, local taxes. I run on Arlington trails, I take out books from Arlington libraries, I use Arlington utilities and they are very well run and efficient. I don't even have a problem knowing that a bit of my taxpayer money goes to subsidize low income families who live in the county.

For Virginia, I pay a modest 5.5% state income tax and it's a pleasure doing so because I believe in paying taxes if I know I'm getting a good bang for my buck, which I am in Virginia. My 5.5% pays for nearly ivy-league level schools in UVA and William and Mary and keeps a Top 10 engineering program affordable at Virignia Tech. In addition I'm funding a legislature that's lived within its means, hasn't raised taxes and balanced its budget for the 3rd year in a row. In Virginia, Democrat lawmakers actually allow Republican proposals to the floor instead of blocking everything for the sake of blocking. We've had 4 governors out of the last five: two republican and two Democrats who have all had one goal for Virginia: making our state better than yours. Under Democrat Mark Warner, we were rated the #1 state in which to do business. Under both parties in Virginia, it's always been about making the state a better place to live.

I guess my point is this: I'm whacko right wing fiscal conservative/libertarian on economic issues, yet I can say I proudly pay taxes to these two governmental entities because I SEE with my two eyes the results and benefits of carefully used tax revenues and good government. Contrast that with the federal government where 7.65% of my income goes to a Ponzi scheme called social security which has 20 trillion in unfunded obligations, and a nice 20% to the Federal Government where my money will be used to fund Israel's military, build traffic circles in Wyoming, bomb Pakistani civilians and provide handouts to lazy people. Simply put, outside of NASA, the federal government hasn't done anything beneficial since the Interstate Highway System was built.

Surely, you can see why libertarians are pissed and want to slash 1 trillion from the federal budget because we see ZERO return on our tax dollars and get a do-nothing legislature and a clueless president.
Excellent post!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Weren't you one of the ones complaining about all the contractors that "suck" on the government teet that are basically propping up the Arlington economy a few months back?
The industrial specificities of a locality does not preclude the application of my concept to Arlington. Point is, local government is the best government period. Interesting how you failed to address my comments on Virginia though, selective much?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The industrial specificities of a locality does not preclude the application of my concept to Arlington. Point is, local government is the best government period. Interesting how you failed to address my comments on Virginia though, selective much?
Words, like silent raindrops fall... They hear the words, but fail to listen.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
The only downside to Arlington/Fairfax County is that it is increasingly being burdened with illegal immigrants. Eventually, Virginia and Arlington will have to deal with the increased costs associated with dealing with the Lowest Common Denominator infesting our society. In fact, it's already happening, with schools struggling with English As A Second Language funding dilemma.

Nevertheless, local government is better suited to deal with these problems.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
This doesn't hurt:
Per capita money income in past 12 months (2010 dollars) 2006-2010 $57,724$32,145Median household income 2006-2010 $94,880$61,406Persons below poverty level, percent, 2006-2010 7.0%10.3%Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

When your state unemployment rate is the 3rd lowest in the nation and one of the lowest percent of people living under the poverty level you have more funds to do nice things for your citizens. Arlington County is even better off the rest of the state.

Just FYI: The US Department of Defence is the largest employer in the state of Virginia. The US Post Office is the 4th largest employer, the US Department of Homeland Security is the 17th largest employer, and the US Department of Commerce is the 18th largest.

People generally don't accuse me of being a liberal.

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This doesn't hurt:
Per capita money income in past 12 months (2010 dollars) 2006-2010 $57,724$32,145Median household income 2006-2010 $94,880$61,406Persons below poverty level, percent, 2006-2010 7.0%10.3%Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
When your state unemployment rate is the 3rd lowest in the nation and one of the lowest percent of people living under the poverty level you have more funds to do nice things for your citizens. Arlington County is even better off the rest of the state.

Just FYI: The US Department of Defence is the largest employer in the state of Virginia. The US Post Office is the 4th largest employer, the US Department of Homeland Security is the 17th largest employer, and the US Department of Commerce is the 18th largest.

People generally don't accuse me of being a liberal.
I see what you're trying to say, but it doesn't change the fundamental premise that local governance tends to work best because you can see the results of your taxpayer money with your own eyes.

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2012 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies