Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
does an employee have an obligation to work to the best of his ability, or should he just work to what he feels his paycheck merits?

If he is on a low wage, does he have a right to do the bare minimum that he can get away with - in other words, what is the incentive for the floor sweeper on min wage at MacD's?

if he gets fired, then so what............
It depends on several factors:

The character of the employee and how he/she represented their work ethic at the time of being hired.
The stated expections of the employer and if those expectations may be realistically achieved.
The goals of the employee for upward mobility in pay and position.

Any job worth doing is worth doing well, IMO. One should take pride in his/her labor as it is a reflection of character. YMMV

What is this "right" to do the bare minumum? No one has a right to shirk responsibilites to one's employer. When you are self-employed you can write your own rules and suffer the consequences or reap the rewards accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
but, as with my last post, if you are the guy cleaning the toilets then how high can you possibly expect to raise anyway?

it's easy to throw out slogans such as 'those who work hardest will get the cream' , but in the real world that isn't really the case.

certainly not these days anyway.
We had a young lady work for our company who was hired to sit at the Information desk to direct visitors to the proper office. That job is on par, or less, than the janitor.
She did a good job, and 25 years later retired as a director of the company, with a lot of stops in between.
If you're the best toilet cleaner the company ever had, you will progress up the latter. Hard work is rewarded.
To even ask such a question tells me you have a very poor work ethic and will never reach the top...
Employers can spot someone who gives their all, compared to those who float through life doing "Get By" work...

Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Continue living in your delusional world where success and hard work are correlated.
It isn't a delusion, I've worked hard and am successful.

Continue living in your world of making excuses for failure due to laziness, and again enjoy your mobile home. Maybe we can see you in the background next episode of Cops.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
to the level of his pay. Working hard doesn't mean anything these days.
you're fired....!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No, it is not. I can give numerous examples of people I know that work hard and put the time in that have never made it anywhere. My mother has worked her ass off, yet still makes barely above minimum wage and numerous people off the streets have taken a position that should have been hers long ago. The reason she doesn't get it is because her boss dislikes her. The only thing you can do about that is leave the job, but that entails starting anew and the new situation may end up just like the last.
I appreciate your mother's hard work, but she didn't do enough.! All the years I worked, I was constantly going to school at nights to make myself more valuable. It's a struggle to work and go to school, but that's the reality, make yourself valuable and employers will seek you out. You have to constantly upgrade your knowledge.
I started as a worker bee, and retired as Supervisor of my department. I could have spend more time partying and less time in school and retired where I started. that's not how I was raised... I have pride in my work..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I appreciate your mother's hard work, but she didn't do enough.! All the years I worked, I was constantly going to school at nights to make myself more valuable. It's a struggle to work and go to school, but that's the reality, make yourself valuable and employers will seek you out. You have to constantly upgrade your knowledge.
I started as a worker bee, and retired as Supervisor of my department. I could have spend more time partying and less time in school and retired where I started. that's not how I was raised... I have pride in my work..
My mom worked 60-70 hours a week for over a year at one point to try to prove she was serious. What did it get her? Not a damn thing. She's in her 50s now. And college costs a lot of money that she does not have because she makes slightly more than minimum wage.

Amusingly, all of the people that have been hired for the position that should have went to my mom have all left as soon as greener pastures appeared. The only loyal, hard-working person of the bunch has been consistently knocked out of receiving a promotion.

Hard work doesn't pay. Being a sycophant does.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM

419 posts, read 465,876 times
I worked at a company who constantly took advantage of employees who were hired in and were gung-ho to go the extra mile. The poor slobs saved the company thousands of dollars, and when it came to review time, the president of the company had already dictated to his managers that NOBODY was to get a good review. I can't tell you how demeaning it was to hear, for example, that, in spite of the fact that you finished 10 projects, your manager would turn the review into a focus of the ONE you didn't. The reviews were nothing but negative comments and if you had the nerve to bring up your accomplishments, they were brushed off. It was not a good place. The turnover rate at this company was through the roof, and I never understood how they didn't figure that it actually cost the company more having new employees constantly coming in and have to train them. After coming in as a star, working long hours, taking on more and more work, I quickly "dumbed down" and worked to my salary level only. It just made sense at this place.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock.teller View Post
When you walk into a bank you assume the role of a slave and beg for them to give you a few dimes, I walk in and take whatever I want. If I want your automobile I will not ask, I will just take it.
Reading post like you, there is no reason for anyone to respond further.. You obviously don't live on the same planet the rest of us do. Perhaps that's why you're sitting in front of the computer instead of working.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
McDonalds mostly pays above minimum wage because they push you harder. If they actually paid minimum the jobs would cycle even more than they do because there are easy min wage jobs out there basically looking to do some important but low skill function. You pretend to work, clearing this machine every random hourish when it jams but mostly you will stand around and Ill pretend to pay you.

>When you walk into a bank you assume the role of a slave and beg for them to give you a few dimes, I walk in and take whatever I want. If I want your automobile I will not ask, I will just take it.<

huhwhat??? You steal cars from random people?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
My mom worked 60-70 hours a week for over a year at one point to try to prove she was serious. What did it get her? Not a damn thing. She's in her 50s now. And college costs a lot of money that she does not have because she makes slightly more than minimum wage.

Amusingly, all of the people that have been hired for the position that should have went to my mom have all left as soon as greener pastures appeared. The only loyal, hard-working person of the bunch has been consistently knocked out of receiving a promotion.

Hard work doesn't pay. Being a sycophant does.

I can somewhat sympathize with your mother. Just to give a little background, I worked at a bank for 7 1/2 years and was let go for an infraction. Nevermind that I never had anything in my employee file, but it was right before the mortgage crisis. Which brings me to my next point. That bank was bought out, and they contributed to the mortgage crisis by opening up a huge national home equity department, and writing a bunch of high risk 2nd mortgages, not to mention that they were buying up a bunch of high risk mortgages, in which a bunch were headed for default. Having getting too big for their britches, they started implementing all sorts of "Big Brother" BS in monitoring calls, how many you made, and probably how many times you walked away from your phone to go to the bathroom. Instead of yearly reviews they implemented monthly reviews. In addition to monthly goals, they audited 3 of your accounts and if you didn't ask the pertinent questions to delinquent customers, it would result in points off of your review. Now you could feasibly make your monthly dollar goal, and if you failed to make the necessary number of calls in which a portion were required to be made via an auto dialer, you could get a poor review for not making enough calls, not doing the required amount of auto dialer time, or forgetting to ask a customer a question. They called it quality control, I call it corporate snitches. When you talked to a customer each time you had to verify home residence, ph#, and place of employment. So, if I talked to this customer 5 minutes prior, and did the proper protocol, and they call back with additional questions or what not, I still had to go through the procedure of verifying their info, because if they were listening, and even though I JUST talked to them, to them not doing it while they are listening is as if I didn't follow the proper procedure. At any rate, I also DJ'd in clubs on the weekends as well as owned my own small DJ company along with a family member (I may come back to that in a minute). At any rate, when I left the company, the writing on the wall, was there that by implementing all of this Big Brother crap that they were getting into trouble financially. About a year or so after I had left they ceased to exist. I have to say the first 6 years there were great. I excelled in my job, and was quite happy, as well as a model employee.

So I spent 4 months out of work other than the side jobs that I did as a DJ. No unemployment! Nothing! I worked for a short stint at a mortgage company, in a sales role, or should I say more like telemarketing. I left that company, as I didn't like their practices. So I went into sales for the current place that I am at now. Let's just say that I've worked in retail, I've worked as a DJ, I've worked at a bank dealing with delinquent customers, and when it comes to sales I've NEVER worked in an industry where you can bust your a**, and jump through hoops, get beat up over pennies, ect...ect.. and if you don't sell anything you get the old... "what the Hell did you do all day?" I've never been in a job where I've gone home some days (in fact a lot of days), feeling like I have to look over my shoulder, or not having that feeling of "ahhh a long day, but a job well done!" Yeah, I know people say, "well if you don't like it, then leave." But I was always taught A) don't burn bridges, and B) don't quit unless a better opportunity presents itself. So, I press on! Because right now, until that better opportunity presents itself, it's much better to have a job, than no job! In fact in the past 20 years or so, there were many of times I was working more than 1 job. Being a DJ was part of it. But I digress. I absolutely do not want to depend on the government for unemployment benefits! Losing a job does something to your psyche. I have to admit, I feel as though I've lost my nitch, and need to get it back, but nevertheless I will press on for now!

As for the DJ business I owned with a family member, we disolved it due to philisophical differences. I've considered starting it back up on my own, as I can rent equipment very cheap, and then the rest of the money is ALL mine! However; I'm almost 40, and quite frankly it's nice to be home with the family on the weekends. But the other part of me wants to resurrect it, and figure out a way to get other DJs or potential DJs under my umbrella, and sub-contract them out. You know sort of train them my way, and then start booking them. I just haven't sat down and figured out the marketing plan for it, and given I do work 40 hours a week, my primary job tends to bog me down, and being that it is stressful clouds my vision. At any rate given what I've been through in the past 5 years I can certainly see how your mom can feel that working hard doesn't always pay off. I too feel as though I've been spinning my wheels, but it's on me to figure it out. I just wanted to share it, because I know how you feel. I personally think that while having a job is necessary to sustain your existence, one should at least somewhat enjoy what they're doing, even if the money isn't all that great. Not enjoying your work just makes you miserable. And sometimes piece of mind is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies