U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 4,364,580 times

Advertisements

74% of Americans Support Voter ID Laws

In your view, should voters in the United States be required to show official, government-issued photo identification -- such as a driver’s license -- when they cast ballots on Election Day, or shouldn't they have to do this? - The Washington Po

Looks like if you follow Dem logic, there are a hundred million in this country that are racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM

12,388 posts, read 11,641,917 times
I'm genuinely surprised that the number is only 100 million, vast majority conservatives no doubt.....

Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM

79,542 posts, read 33,708,686 times
I have never understood the argument here. You have to provide all of this stuff to register to vote. Always have. Nobody complained. When you do this you get a voters registration card. How is it controversial to ask people to provide this card when they vote?

When i got my first D.L. it was just embossed plastic. Now I have to have my picture on it. Now voting and getting a D.L. are not the same thing but why is it controversial if we put peoples picture on their registration card as long as they do not have to pay for it?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 PM

15,489 posts, read 7,903,178 times
I don't support voter ID laws so I guess that means I'm not racist....lol!

I think they are a waste of money and that they are supposedly combatting something - voter fraud - that statistically is irrelevant in elections. Studies have shown that less than 1% of votes in elections are fraudulent and I'm a proponent of "it if ain't broke, don't fix it." Especially when it comes to saving money.

The state I reside in has voter id laws now and we have to pay for people who can't afford them to get a free id and to give them a ride to the place they have to go to obtain an id. It is a huge waste and is happening due to many of you being duped to believe this is some sort of valid issue when it is not.

And FWIW, most opponents to these laws do not tout race as the reason why they are discriminatory, studies show that the elderly will be affected more often due to the fact that many registered to vote years ago, when they did have ID but many don't have a valid photo id once they get to a certain age and don't have an extra $40 to get a license, especially when they don't drive. I work in an industry with a large senior population and you'd be surprised at how many older people, not just black older people either (where I live the black older people usually have ID due to being primarily city dwellers as these laws touch those in rural areas more than urban) don't have an ID, don't have a birth certificate to obtain an ID and don't have a social security card. Here in GA we now need about 3 or 4 things to get a license, one of the things we can use is a passport and most of the seniors who live in the buildings my company manages cannot afford a $20 ID card let along a $100 passport. But of course our good old GOP state reps decided to pay for them to get the $20 ID out of my pocket instead of just letting the old people go vote like normal.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,732,780 times
Misleading title

Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,477,468 times
hmmmmm they must think that 74% wont vote for Obama.
Seniors are too poor to buy an ID card? That sure doesn't slow them down from buying lottery tickets.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM

15,489 posts, read 7,903,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
hmmmmm they must think that 74% wont vote for Obama.
Seniors are too poor to buy an ID card? That sure doesn't slow them down from buying lottery tickets.
Depends on what seniors you know. I know plenty, being I work with seniors who don't buy lottery tickets. A lot of them have limited mobility and don't go out much at all, let alone to the store to buy lotto tickets. A whole lot of seniors I know, live on less than $1000 a month and 30% of their income they have to pay for their rent and they don't have money left over for lottery tickets. A lot of them are also over 70 years old and most aren't all that into the lottery.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM

52,031 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I'm genuinely surprised that the number is only 100 million, vast majority conservatives no doubt.....
74% support voter ID and yet currently Obama has a 9% lead over Romney....this would mean that at least 1/2 of Obama voters are racist too.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM

52,031 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Misleading title
The math in the first post is pretty sweet too.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 7,975,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
74% support voter ID and yet currently Obama has a 9% lead over Romney....this would mean that at least 1/2 of Obama voters are racist too.
The truth is that DNC politicians don't care a hoot about the poor and illegals. They do care about their votes and the money they generate for their programs which the cream is skimmed from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies