Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Voter ID Laes?
Yes 91 71.65%
No 35 27.56%
Who cares? 1 0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I support them as long as the states that have them on the books also have no cost ID's available to their citizens. Which so far, every state that has these laws or is trying to implement these laws do have no cost ID's.
uhm

there is NO SUCH THING as no cost id

the plastic id costs money
the TECH to run it and issue it doesnt work for free

there is ALWAYS a cost..be it to the indiviuual(5/10/15/20 dollars) or to the taxpayer

at least when its a bill to the individaul you can justify the cost...if we do it to the taxpayer the costs triples and the taxpayer get scammed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

there is ALWAYS a cost..be it to the indiviuual(5/10/15/20 dollars) or to the taxpayer

at least when its a bill to the individaul you can justify the cost...if we do it to the taxpayer the costs triples and the taxpayer get scammed
OK, but the problem is that it would be considered an unconstitutional poll tax if there is no way to get an ID without paying for it.

I say this as someone who is 100% for voter ID laws (with the caveat that ID cards be made available free of charge to non-drivers).

Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
I think a NATIONAL photo Common acces card (CaC) issued to EVERYONE over 16 is the way to go

you have your CAC and your PIN to go with it

and its read with a reader like this...you can use it to secure emails too

and many of you already have a simular chip in your possesion
the smart card chip looks like these:

and can be found in these:

and EVERYONE of you with a cell phone has one too:

Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,787 times
Quote:
uhm

Ok, let me rephrase that then. No cost to the individual person receiving the id. This particular issue I think is worthy of taxpayers footing the bill for those who qualify (and there should be stringent qualifications) to get a "no cost" id. Of course, this should also be up to each individual state and not a national thing. In which case you could have a state like (i believe) OR which doesn't charge anything for an id if you qualify, and WA which charges a bare minimum of something like $3 for the id. Which, again, I'd be totally ok with.

I'm willing to compromise and pay for as a tax payer, for these id's to make sure that our elections were being voted on by legal citizens! And in my state, if they had this up for a vote, I would vote for it!

But you're point is valid, there is no such thing as free... someone, somewhere has to pay for it!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
Quote:
This is just in MN and just for the 2008 election!! Voter fraud does happen, does change the outcome of elections, and is a problem. Even if it only happened once or twice, it is a problem that can easily be remedied with ID's!
See post #21.

Election Day impersonation, an impetus for voter ID laws, a rarity, data show - The Washington Post

Quote:
A new nationwide analysis of more than 2,000 cases of alleged election fraud over the past dozen years shows that in-person voter impersonation on Election Day, which has prompted 37 state legislatures to enact or consider tougher voter ID laws, was virtually nonexistent.

The analysis of 2,068 reported fraud cases by News21, a Carnegie-Knight investigative reporting project, found 10 cases of alleged in-person voter impersonation since 2000. With 146 million registered voters in the United States, those represent about one for every 15 million prospective voters.
Voter ID laws are designed to stop voter impersonation - a specific type of voter fraud - at the voting poll. Over the last 12 years, in the 2,068 reported voter fraud cases, there were only 10 instances of alleged voter impersonation. In all the elections we've had in the last dozen years, and the millions of votes cast, only 10 instances of alleged voter impersonation.

A voter ID law is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

And 37 state legislatures have spent time and money debating this and in many cases passing legislation on this non-problem. Talk about a waste of tax-payer money!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if ID is expired?

Why dont ya join the rest of America. Get a new ID and then go make something of your life.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
Quote:
Ok, let me rephrase that then. No cost to the individual person receiving the id. This particular issue I think is worthy of taxpayers footing the bill for those who qualify (and there should be stringent qualifications) to get a "no cost" id. Of course, this should also be up to each individual state and not a national thing. In which case you could have a state like (i believe) OR which doesn't charge anything for an id if you qualify, and WA which charges a bare minimum of something like $3 for the id. Which, again, I'd be totally ok with.

I'm willing to compromise and pay for as a tax payer, for these id's to make sure that our elections were being voted on by legal citizens! And in my state, if they had this up for a vote, I would vote for it!

But you're point is valid, there is no such thing as free... someone, somewhere has to pay for it!

So does this mean you support the general public picking up the cost of a pistol permit?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
uhm

I guess the State of Kansas must not agree with your thinking. They allow non-drivers to go to the DOT testing offices and procure free IDs since the state has required them to vote. This is a thing that allows this law to exist since courts have always allowed those IDs that didn't cost the voter any money. Hey, even old people who don't drive anymore can vote in Kansas and only have to pay for the trip to the License office.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I think a NATIONAL photo Common acces card (CaC) issued to EVERYONE over 16 is the way to go

you have your CAC and your PIN to go with it

and its read with a reader like this...you can use it to secure emails too

and many of you already have a simular chip in your possesion
the smart card chip looks like these:

and can be found in these:

and EVERYONE of you with a cell phone has one too:
It is that national ID card that most people don't like. I am one that doesn't want those things but sure don't mind what my state has done about voting.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
See post #21.

Election Day impersonation, an impetus for voter ID laws, a rarity, data show - The Washington Post

Voter ID laws are designed to stop voter impersonation - a specific type of voter fraud - at the voting poll. Over the last 12 years, in the 2,068 reported voter fraud cases, there were only 10 instances of alleged voter impersonation. In all the elections we've had in the last dozen years, and the millions of votes cast, only 10 instances of alleged voter impersonation.

A voter ID law is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

And 37 state legislatures have spent time and money debating this and in many cases passing legislation on this non-problem. Talk about a waste of tax-payer money!
Gene, this may be a non-problem to people who don't mind, or even like Obamacare, but those of us who know how Al Franken voted on the (law??) realize how he got there to provide the 60th vote to overcome the threat of filibuster. I wonder if we will survive up to five years of that law if it ever takes effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies