Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM

855 posts, read 1,169,914 times

Advertisements

I'm confused. I thought right-wingers don't begrudge those who earn good money making an honest living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,815,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm guessing there are union members in every state, in every position, in every industry who have hit the jackpot when it comes to this sort of thing.
Not in my (union) industry... I'm lucky to pull in half of that, and our position actually requires a Master's degree.

P.S. Anyone who thinks teachers make big bucks is delusional, as they make even less than I do on average.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I'm confused. I thought right-wingers don't begrudge those who earn good money making an honest living...
I would think that when your tax dollars are paying the salaries and then you hear your state say they don't have enough money and need more from you then you are entitled to an opinion about how those tax dollars are being spent.

public sector jobs are paid for by your tax money
private sector jobs aren't.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I know, right? I guess it's okay as long as they're a corporate big Whig, but those of us who actually benefit society are accused of living in the lap of luxury at the taxpayers' expense... I wish!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would think that when your tax dollars are paying the salaries and then you hear your state say they don't have enough money and need more from you then you are entitled to an opinion about how those tax dollars are being spent.

And we don't pay taxes too? Heck, between my state & federal taxes, healthcare premiums, union dues, forced retirement contributions, SSI, etc, I think I pay more than my fair share. And by your logic, I basically pay my OWN salary - how about you?

Old 08-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Furthermore, we still work very hard (for the most part), and make an honest living - not only that, but many public sector jobs are invaluable to our society. Hate the government, not its innocent workers who are just trying to make a living.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And we don't pay taxes too? Heck, between my state & federal taxes, healthcare premiums, union dues, forced retirement contributions, SSI, etc, I think I pay more than my fair share. And by your logic, I basically pay my OWN salary - how about you?
I live in Texas where we don't have $100K/year meter maids.
I left union states a long time ago (NY) for right to work states (FL, TX).
Seems to have worked out for me.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM

855 posts, read 1,169,914 times
Quote:

Ahhh yes. But when those corporations (also known as "people") fleece the country for golden parachutes and seek fatten their pockets while bankrupting industries by sending jobs overseas, that's just quite all right, iddnit?

You realize your tax money also went towards bank bailouts? Your tax dollars also, in effect, cover people who have no business NOT paying their fair share in the "name of job creation" (which BTW those rich folks don't create jobs...it's that meter maid who CREATES THE DEMAND FOR JOBS by SPENDING his money).

You sound ridiculous. Focus.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,800,412 times
Does it not depend on where one lives. I would have to earn double my current Miami region salary to live in a similar manner in San Francisco.
The report also calculates other expenses beyond straight salary. Total package as some companies term to include all relevant expenses incurred in retaining an employee.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I live in Texas where we don't have $100K/year meter maids.
I left union states a long time ago (NY) for right to work states (FL, TX).
Seems to have worked out for me.
Well, then try worrying about your own state (which is far from perfect) and job - then stop begrudging those of us DO who live here, and just want to make an honest living. Believe me, I'd go private sector if those jobs existed in my field... private sector librarians make a LOT more than public sector, but as a result the positions are few & far between.

Edit: As just mentioned above, does it cost as much to live in TX & FL as it does to live in CA? Not even close! Around here, a "livable wage" is like $80K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies