U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM

1,230 posts, read 586,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The NAACP and LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) don't think Medicare Advantage is wasteful. They think it's vitally necessary for many low-income elderly Blacks and Latinos.

NAACP: "MA plans — private health plan options that provide coverage to 8.3 million Medicare beneficiaries — disproportionately provide coverage to low-income and racial and ethnic minority beneficiaries. Specifically, 40 percent of African Americans without Medicaid or employer coverage rely on comprehensive health insurance coverage provided by MA plans. By providing more comprehensive benefits and lower cost-sharing than traditional Medicare, MA plans help racial and ethnic minority populations gain access to health care services that are critical to their long-term health and well-being."

LULAC: "Medicare Advantage is vital to the well-being of Hispanic Medicare beneficiaries. According to a 2005 study by Ken Thorpe, Ph.D., of Emory University, Hispanics rely disproportionately on the Medicare Advantage program....We are concerned that additional cuts in funding for Medicare Advantage will threaten access to comprehensive benefits, result in higher out-of-pocket health care costs, and create financial barriers to care that will be particularly harmful for Hispanic seniors."

Record of NAACP and LULAC signed letters submitted to the US Senate:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-20...-PgS3659-7.pdf
pages S3670-S3671

So... Obama and the Democrats want to redistribute low-income elderly Blacks' and Latinos' health care to others they consider more worthy? Interesting...

Obama and the Democrats believe elderly Blacks and Latinos and their families and loved ones will vote to decrease their own access to health care? Interesting gamble...
Medicare advantage was enacted to help drive down the costs of private insurance through market competition which is why it's run by a private entity. That didn't happen. By 2010 the per patient cost of medicare advantange was 117% of regular fee for service. What the PPACA does is sets reimbursements to the quality of care given and satisfaction level of the patient. This is for every senior whether they're using a medicare or private care purchased under the exchanges which I explained in my last post. I don't know how you look at PPACA and think that it denies care for low income minorities, but then again I don't know how most uninformed opponents of PPACA come up with their misinformation about the bill.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 AM

26,782 posts, read 7,892,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I don't know how you look at PPACA and think that it denies care for low income minorities, but then again I don't know how most uninformed opponents of PPACA come up with their misinformation about the bill.
You would have to ask the NAACP and LULAC about that. They're the ones who strongly believe Obama's and the Democrats' plan to decimate Medicare Advantage will seriously disadvantage Black and Latino low-income elderly, and cut them off from needed health care.

And why are Obama and the Democrats doing that? To provide health care for the welfare-dependent who paid little to nothing into the system via payroll taxes, unlike the elderly Black and Latino Medicare Advantage patients.

Obama and the Dems... throwing elderly Blacks and Latinos who've actually contributed to Medicare for years under the bus. Bad move.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 AM

769 posts, read 185,382 times
Default I'd say Ryan's and his Plan are as dangerous as Obama's, maybe more

Paul Ryan and his views on Government are scary and Dangerous, I see that NOW !!

Ayn Rand (Paul Ryan’s Moral Heroine) Instructs Johnny Carson on the Virtue of Selfishness, 1967 | Open Culture

''In Ryan’s budget the rich are released from their unjust burden as “sacrificial animals” while the “parasites,” “moochers” and “looters”–i.e. the elderly, the disabled and the poor–are taught a lesson in virtue.''

Ayn Rand, Paul Ryan and the issue of morality | Jay Bookman

Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You would have to ask the NAACP and LULAC about that. They're the ones who strongly believe Obama's and the Democrats' plan to decimate Medicare Advantage will seriously disadvantage Black and Latino low-income elderly, and cut them off from needed health care.

And why are Obama and the Democrats doing that? To provide health care for the welfare-dependent who paid little to nothing into the system via payroll taxes, unlike the elderly Black and Latino Medicare Advantage patients.

Obama and the Dems... throwing elderly Blacks and Latinos who've actually contributed to Medicare for years under the bus. Bad move.
That paper is from 2007.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
That paper is from 2007.
After researching Paul Ryan, I believe he is very dangerous in his concept's (Ayn Rand's) and attitude regarding the fragile issue of Medicare, What do you think, Octa?

Ayn Rand (Paul Ryan’s Moral Heroine) Instructs Johnny Carson on the Virtue of Selfishness, 1967 | Open Culture

Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM

3,479 posts, read 5,523,403 times
This difference in opinion for the direction of Medicare is a conversation we NEED to have. Medicare "as we know it" is going to change either voluntarily or involuntarily in the near future. Hopefully our elected officials can lay some real ideas on the table and skip the scare tactics for once.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
After researching Paul Ryan, I believe he is very dangerous in his concept's (Ayn Rand's) and attitude regarding the fragile issue of Medicare, What do you think, Octa?

I can't say. I know very little about her aside from reading one of her books. All I know is that Ryan was influenced to go into politics because of her.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM

71,285 posts, read 31,549,730 times
Quote:

So in your researching you found that openculture.com is objective ?
Let me ask you then..which think tank is behind this commerical site for "education" ?

I go to places like OpenCongress.org or the politican's website.
I also look at his past voting history and what bills he has presented and direct quotes for his stand on issues.

I rarely rely on biased onesided views where the author has never spoken to the person yet knows what goes on in their head.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I can't say. I know very little about her aside from reading one of her books. All I know is that Ryan was influenced to go into politics because of her.
Well read this--> Ayn Rand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia She was an Atheist. NO Christian can support the wicked teachings of an atheist. Ryan is catholic...but that does not make him a Christian. I grew up a catholic. NO one can tell me ANYTHING I don't know about them.

Now, check this out -->

And last but NOT Least, READ THIS -->
Ayn Rand, Paul Ryan and the issue of morality | Jay Bookman

A moral person will flee such wickedness. Why didn't Paul Ryan? He's very decieved, that's why.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM

8,287 posts, read 10,090,110 times
Quote:
The Democrats

The Democrats’ Growing Medicare Dilemma
By Yuval Levin

August 15, 2012 11:48 AM

In the last few days, the Romney campaign has moved to dramatically change the terrain of Medicare politics, and it looks like the Democrats are beginning to realize how vulnerable they might be. Because of Obamacare, it is the Democrats who now plan to cut current seniors’ benefits (especially those in Medicare Advantage) and access to care (thanks to the IPAB) while still failing to avert the program’s (and the nation’s) fiscal collapse, and because Romney would repeal Obamacare and pursue a version of the Ryan-Wyden premium-support reform it is the Republicans who would protect current seniors’ benefits and make them available to future seniors while saving the program from collapse through market reforms. Through the candidates’ statements this week and through this
new ad, Romney and Ryan have made clear they’re going to inform voters about this and force the Democrats to defend themselves on Medicare.

That won’t be easy for the Left, since the Romney campaign’s charges are true, and it is beginning to become apparent that the Democrats are totally unprepared for the coming fight. Click link for more
Ya think it could be because 70 + percent of the American peoples were against Obamacare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies