Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:55 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I graduated in May 2001 and let me tell everyone, regardless of the unemployment rate, it was very hard to find a job. And after 9/11, forget it! I didnt get a good job until 2006 and I had to take a much lower salary then I expected.

And yes, we have been in a recession since 2000 and the "recovery" under Bush everyone keeps talking about is a blip in the radar. So we were crap from 2000-2004, good until 2007, and then crap again until today? Sounds like a prolonged recession with a real estate bubble right in the middle.
Yeah, you generally got the right idea.

The 2000-2004 crap was the hangover from the dot-com bubble and the MASSIVE run up in credit card debt prior to that. The "great" economy under Clinton was a lot of private sector deficit spending just like the Bush housing bubble. Prior to that you had Bush I that was trying to cool the Reagan era public spending....and got 1-termed for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Obama is getting a lot of criticism for not doing enough to fix the economy... and rightly so. But seriously... was it really that much better when Bush was in office? I struggled for a year and a half after graduating from school, unable to find a job, eventually settling for something far less than ideal. This was in 2004 and 2005.

I think it's just tough to get a job no matter who is in office. How much better do Republicans realistically expect things to be if Romney wins?

Romney will not change the economy. What people think he will do will change the economy.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, you generally got the right idea.

The 2000-2004 crap was the hangover from the dot-com bubble and the MASSIVE run up in credit card debt prior to that. The "great" economy under Clinton was a lot of private sector deficit spending just like the Bush housing bubble. Prior to that you had Bush I that was trying to cool the Reagan era public spending....and got 1-termed for doing so.

Actualy , histoicly there should have been a recession in 2000 . There was a mild one but dubs being a first term pres at the time avoided a neccesary correction therby trying to avoid the inevitable. When one does that the end result is a much larger crash.

Cant blame him for not wanting a recession during his first term but the country would have been much better off if he had just let it happen. Understand why he didnt as the same scenario cost his old man his job, just as it will Obama.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Obama is getting a lot of criticism for not doing enough to fix the economy... and rightly so. But seriously... was it really that much better when Bush was in office? I struggled for a year and a half after graduating from school, unable to find a job, eventually settling for something far less than ideal. This was in 2004 and 2005.

I think it's just tough to get a job no matter who is in office. How much better do Republicans realistically expect things to be if Romney wins?
They cannot. But I have to say, it is a bit naive to expect a realistic campaign promise, especially from a group that seems to go out of their way to change their claims with each passing wind.

It has always been hard to find a job, but the difference is now that the past GOP administration gutted our economy in supporting wars on too many fronts and stripped us of previously gained economic reserves that might have helped us over the economic crash enabled by previous administrations' deregulation of the banking and finance industry.

It's really time to start holding our politicians more accountable for their decisions -- and I mean ALL of our leadership. Our political system is designed for the three branches: Administration, Legislation, and Judicial, to work together. Apparently, each has come to believe they are supreme over the other, and do not have to cooperate in the interests of the American people.

I personally think it is time the American people woke up and started paying attention to the foxes in the hen house, before we no longer have hens.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
The unemployment rate was 4.6% in Jan 2007 when the Democrats took power. Banks paid a decent rate of interest on deposits.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Jobs were fleeing our country at a rate we had never seen before under Bush, so the answer to the Op's question is no. I think Obama realizes he has to invest in local companies and reward those that keep jobs here... These are the things he can do... and yes those investments can end up being a Solendra, but we still must make the effort... we will win more than we lose.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I haven't had a "job" in years. What I do know is that as a business owner, I typically do better under a republican president than I do under a democratic president.. Under democratic control I spend all my time getting the boot of regulations and taxes off my neck.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's really time to start holding our politicians more accountable for their decisions -- and I mean ALL of our leadership. Our political system is designed for the three branches: Administration, Legislation, and Judicial, to work together. Apparently, each has come to believe they are supreme over the other, and do not have to cooperate in the interests of the American people.

I personally think it is time the American people woke up and started paying attention to the foxes in the hen house, before we no longer have hens.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies