Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:04 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
At 12 I was 5'11'', 140. Today at age 29 I'm 5'11'', 155. The doctors lied to me - at the time they said at my growth rate I'd end up being in the 6'5'' range (just a bit taller than my dad and my two half-brothers).

Did you sue the doctors for lying to you.

The kid's too big for PeeWee League. Even high school wrestling (at least in MD) has an upper allowable weight for the Heavyweight/Unlimited division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did you sue the doctors for lying to you.
Still working its way through the courts.

Quote:
The kid's too big for PeeWee League. Even high school wrestling (at least in MD) has an upper allowable weight for the Heavyweight/Unlimited division.
Exactly. Go lose 100 pounds, then play on the school's team.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
135 lbs is the limit. He'd have to lose more than 100 and at 6' being 135 lbs is ridiculous. It's also bad for one's health to be that thin (underweight) for that height.

His healthy weight would be 160 - 200 lbs. He would still be too heavy for the PRIVATE league team.

He can always join his schools team.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Roy, I'll have to check it out. Even though I am a Browns fan, and the Ravens are a division foe.
The movie is so outstanding as one that tells how a black kid was taken in by a white family with more than just some money. i wonder if part of my liking of it might be the job that Sandra Bullock did as the mother who insisted that the family take the poor homeless kid in and got him in school.

It is one of the best outright family movies I can remember and Oher did become something else. I am sure you will get a thrill out of one of his blocks in high school. You are such a fan that I bet you really like the part about his recruitment.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This. Such a great idea to get him support from his peers. That's what teamwork is all about.
But didn't you see the league head man say he didn't know how many kids had asked him if they have to play against the kid. Helping him may well make some legal sized kids sick at least one time in the season.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:17 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
135 lbs is the limit. He'd have to lose more than 100 and at 6' being 135 lbs is ridiculous. It's also bad for one's health to be that thin (underweight) for that height.

His healthy weight would be 160 - 200 lbs. He would still be too heavy for the PRIVATE league team.

He can always join his schools team.
A 6', 135 pound child is perfectly fine. That wouldn't give a doctor a moments pause. Pediatrics.com actually has an interactive function with data on kid's heights and weights where you can enter all sorts of variables and they tell you what's normal, healthy, unhealthy, etc. For a 6', 12 year old boy, 135 pounds is in the 53rd percentile (meaning most 6', 12 year old boys weight less than 135 pounds) and is considered a perfectly healthy weight.

A 6', 135 pound man is considered unhealthily underweight.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here in Texas though 7th grade is when you first get to be on the school team.
From K-6 it's only outside of school and that's where the kids who are into football are found.

If this kid is doing it in 7th grade to "learn" then it's already too late.

Remember..football is huge here in Texas and taken very seriously in middle/high years.
It really is "Friday Night Lights" in towns all around Texas. The smaller the town the more serious it is and you better have a good excuse if you don't plan to "go to the game".
Most of us know about football in Texas but you have avoided Michael Oher who never played football till he was a senior in high school and had all those college coaches after him after not being anything in early season. You have seen that movie, haven't you?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If he's the right size, and can develop the speed and instincts, seventh grade is certainly not too late.
You are very right in that some coach will see this kid and give him some time. When a kid is that big any freshman coach would be glad to "teach" him anything kids' coaches didn't get to teach him.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Yeah, he's unhealthily obese. Every offensive lineman in the NFL is. They're strong, quick, agile tubs of lard, half of whom die before 50.

And no, he's not in better shape than me (I ran NCAA division 1 cross country and have a competitive swimming background). A superior athlete - that's comparing apples to oranges (I can certainly run and swim and bike circles around any NFL lineman) - but, I wouldn't begrudge you that judgement.
Aw now its clear: Little mans complex.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I know the Tuohys, the real family from The Blind Side Story. Michael Oher was a big guy, but he wasn't nearly as fat as the guy who played him in the movie. That actor did a fantastic job though.
And it is a great movie. I generally don't let my kids watch movies with violence, but I took them to see The Blind Side, partly because of my personal connection, but mostly so they could see that so many kids don't grow up in the bubble that they live in.
The best part of that movie was when Oher told the NCAA investigator that the reason he wanted to go to that college was because his family went there. That man did a great job of doing that movie and got the part across about family very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies