Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Please read the Gospel from the KJV Bible. You will see, that it is very difficult to misinterpret. Christ is very direct.

I can't answer your question. More than likely the answer is because it's easier not to abide by his words, and to come up with excuses why not to.

I can only speculate. It is your duty to read the word yourself, if you desire to know the answers.
I've read the King James Bible. A translation of the Bible that was driven by political expediency. James wanted to silence those who thought he might return England to Catholicism, and at the same time he wanted to imbue his throne and claim to rule with the authority of Christ. He also was a little anti-women (Women hadn't been very kind to him as his mother lost her head pursuing her political aspirations, and Elizabeth I kept him under lock and key during her reign), and the translation reinforces his distrust of women in power.

The only reason I bring that up is to point out that while I respect your belief that the Bible is the inspired word of God, the translations aren't necessarily God-inspired. And don't you have any curiosity about the gospels that were excluded, and what they had to say? There were numerous gospels written about Christ, all supposedly God-inspired. But it was men who decided which gospels to include in the New Testament, and which gospels to ignore. It's reasonable to wonder if the decisions of those men weren't driven a little by their own biases and aspirations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No, you don't know that. You BELIEVE that. There is a difference. The difference between me and you is that I can recognize that difference, and you can't.
Hey man, whatever is easier right?

You be you. You do what you go to do.

You can do whatever you want. You're entitled.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 AM

775 posts, read 740,807 times
Quote:
There has never been a time period. That's why Jesus condemned society of the past, and spoke the prophecy regarding the future.

All Christ did was lay out the foundation. That doesn't mean we are disciplined enough to follow it. It takes great dedication and will power.

Jesus foretold the destruction of society.

He also said that there will be a time where those that keep his name are condemned by society.

If you read Mark 13, you will know what I'm refering to.
Ooohhh, Christians playing the victim? You control all the political and most of the economic power in this nation, you number more than any other religion in world history, your beliefs and values empower an entire political movement and make their way into law and politics, but you still think that "those that keep [Jesus's] name are condemned by society"?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

Can this be the coming of the New Age of Enlightenment?
We can only hope so.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Ooohhh, Christians playing the victim? You control all the political and most of the economic power in this nation, you number more than any other religion in world history, your beliefs and values empower an entire political movement and make their way into law and politics, but you still think that "those that keep [Jesus's] name are condemned by society"?
Maybe you need to look at statistics concerning the number of Muslims in the world today.

I have been enjoying reading in this thread because although I consider myself a Christian I don't accept so much of what some who want to be like me in that say. I once accused my brother of being religious and he came back with these words, "I am not religious, I am a Christian" His minister and all the congregation went to him when they had questions about the New Testament because they all knew that he knew that part of the Holy Bible better, from reading, than any of them did. He was a much loved, in his church community, man who had an unbelievable ceremony in his celebration of life after cancer got him. He was a real Republican but never gave up on his like of Jimmy Carter who he worked with every spring building houses and repairing flood damaged houses.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Please read the Gospel from the KJV Bible. You will see, that it is very difficult to misinterpret. Christ is very direct.

I can't answer your question. More than likely the answer is because it's easier not to abide by his words, and to come up with excuses why not to.

I can only speculate. It is your duty to read the word yourself, if you desire to know the answers.

Why is it that American Christians insist everyone read the King James Version of the Bible?

You mean the Bible commissioned 1600 years after Christ by a bisexual King whose great grandpappy fundamentally changed church doctrine because he wanted to get a divorce?

Instead of telling people to read the KJV bible! Why don't YOU read the original ancient Hebrew, Greek and Latin, and THEN get back to us on whether things are "easy to misinterpret!!!"

Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM

390 posts, read 265,782 times
The day the last ounce of religion is wiped out from existence, is the first day humanity can get on with progressing without being forced to deal with the schizophrenics called "people of faith".

Religion is a cancerous plague on humanity and needs to be obliterated.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
The day the last ounce of religion is wiped out from existence, is the first day humanity can get on with progressing without being forced to deal with the schizophrenics called "people of faith".

Religion is a cancerous plague on humanity and needs to be obliterated.
That's the most harmful thing about religion. Once you are willing to believe this big lie, it's so much easier to believe the thousands of smaller lies. If you've trained yourself not to use reason, logic, facts when it comes to religion, you'll do it over and over again in other areas.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I've read the King James Bible. A translation of the Bible that was driven by political expediency. James wanted to silence those who thought he might return England to Catholicism, and at the same time he wanted to imbue his throne and claim to rule with the authority of Christ. He also was a little anti-women (Women hadn't been very kind to him as his mother lost her head pursuing her political aspirations, and Elizabeth I kept him under lock and key during her reign), and the translation reinforces his distrust of women in power.

The only reason I bring that up is to point out that while I respect your belief that the Bible is the inspired word of God, the translations aren't necessarily God-inspired. And don't you have any curiosity about the gospels that were excluded, and what they had to say? There were numerous gospels written about Christ, all supposedly God-inspired. But it was men who decided which gospels to include in the New Testament, and which gospels to ignore. It's reasonable to wonder if the decisions of those men weren't driven a little by their own biases and aspirations.
I understand that, but what was written in the Gospels that I have read, are enough for me.

It's all I need. It's the truth. I can feel it in my soul.

This may not be the case for everyone. Honestly, in the end it doesn't matter. It's gonna be how it's gonna be. Nothing I can do about it.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

Can this be the coming of the New Age of Enlightenment?
Probably that there are more people acknowledging that they have been for a long time. Funny thing is, can you imagine how may atheists there are, hiding in church pews? A lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies