Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,584,656 times

Advertisements

80% of Americans are Christians (90% who believe in God).... The U.S. has the world's largest Christian population (Not percentage wise though).
The U.S. is still the world's most religious advanced nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,186,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

Can this be the coming of the New Age of Enlightenment?
It's about time more Americans have stopped believing in myths....

Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,152,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
80% of Americans are Christians (90% who believe in God).... The U.S. has the world's largest Christian population (Not percentage wise though).
The U.S. is still the world's most religious advanced nation.
How many of them would you say are Pascal's Wager Christians versus Christians who express belief for spiritual reasons?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,215,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

Can this be the coming of the New Age of Enlightenment?
A cancer always grows exponentially until the host is dead

Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM

679 posts, read 614,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Sure, the examples of XX century purely atheistic countries such as Soviet Union, Cambodia or Cuba bring hope to every atheist on the planet.
God bless you all!
Soviet Union - Doesn't exist, dissolved in the 90s but I assume you mean Russia?
Russia - 70% Russian Orthodox
Cambodia - 95% are Buddhist
Cuba - 60% Catholic

So, yeahhhh, definitely not purely atheistic countries

Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,976,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Many years ago when the internet was new, I visited a chatroom at the NYT dedicated to atheists. People there shared their experiences of being discriminated against, and they shared their stories about when they determined they were atheists. I made a small post about how I couldn't believe in something without concrete proof, but that if I were ever presented concrete proof, then obviously I would believe. At which point numerous other visitors told me how I wasn't a real atheist, because, evidently no amount of proof could ever sway a real atheist. I thought this response was completely irrational. Obviously, if presented incontrovertible proof that something existed, anything existed, it would be irrational in the face of that proof to deny its existence.
But I never visited that chatroom again.

I still have never been presented with any proof that I find incontrovertible that a god exists. But the thing about faith, any kind of faith, is that different people find different levels of evidence convincing. And I've always felt that in the nature of something as personal as religion, that it is arrogance to dismiss other people's faith simply because I, personally, am unconvinced by their evidence. They are convinced. More than that, they find comfort in that faith. And when others try to remove that faith, that comfort, people are understandably upset.

There is an undercurrent to atheism that atheists see themselves as somehow superior to people who believe in what atheists find to be irrational. I think the idea of superiority is wrong, on both sides, because each of us are individuals, and we don't have the same experiences. It's our experiences which provide the framework for how we evaluate evidence or proof, and rather than dismiss people who believe in a god, I think it's better to learn about another person, and the experiences that made that person who he is.

Good post DC. You know I understand organized religion has been the cause of a lot of the issues in this world! I cannot stand the "my God is better than your God" crap! I am shall we say more spiritual than religious, because there is a lot in organized religion that is bulls***! It's why even though I chose to become a full fledged Catholic before my wife and I got married, I just cannot quite embrace it the fact that they don't allow priests to marry. Nor do they allow women to become priests, and more importantly the cover up of pedophile priests. Nevertheless, I do believe in God, and it's not His fault. And you're right people have their beliefs based on their own experiences. I've seen enough in life that does lead me to believe in a higher power. Now if you don't, or aren't sure, or others don't, that's cool. But don't lump me in ( I know you didn't personally) with the religous fundamental nutjobs who preach hell fire and damnation on everyone, because I'm not one of them, and I can assure you I am quite sane and logical.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,107,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If I had to guess, it would be because the religious feel threatened by those who do not believe. However, I am not able to fully comprehend the irrational abject hatred the religious have towards atheists.
You said "the most hated group". Do you have a link to prove that or is this just your opinion? How do people that have made a decision that they simply cannot or any longer believe, affect another's faith and belief? That one always puzzles me.

Had to come back to add..It is interesting to hear that Christians harbor so much hate...is that part of the Gospels of Christ too? The hypocrsity is amazing.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-17-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,849,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Sure, the examples of XX century purely atheistic countries such as Soviet Union, Cambodia or Cuba bring hope to every atheist on the planet.
God bless you all!
There's no such thing as atheistic countries.

And the majority of the Soviet Union was Christian, the majority of Russia is Christian.

Russia-Religion

Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,794,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yep, that's what drove the oppression of people in those countries, atheism.

Can you give me some modern examples of people killing in the name of atheism and then I'll give examples of people killing in the name of God and we can compare notes.
Yup. Atheism as a total rejection of Christian moral value and ethics.... They are all pretty modern: Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam. Take your pick...

Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,794,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There's no such thing as atheistic countries.

And the majority of the Soviet Union was Christian, the majority of Russia is Christian.

Russia-Religion
Hold on, comrade. Are you telling me that Soviet Communists were in fact closeted Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies