Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Welfare Recipients be Allowed to Vote?
YES 146 76.84%
NO 44 23.16%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:22 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times

Advertisements

I assume you only limit your view of welfare. Hell, why not everyone that works for the government, or has contracts with the government. If you can vote yourself policies that enable your business to profit directly based off of government influence, isn't that the same as being on the dole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
That is correct, but it's only a natural outcome of the situation. It doesn't negate my reasoning on why those people shouldn't vote though.
Every time i look, some RWNJ is concocting some nonsense about restricting someone's vote. No one is going to lose their voting rights, so why don't you guys just move on? I know you guys want to bring back the poll tax and literacy tests...proof of your dreaming about the good ol days, but it ain't happening.

If you want to go that route, then let's go a step further. Anyone getting a single federal dollar in direct welfare or ANY sort of subsidy can't vote. That means farmers, defense contractors, oil industry, tech industry, universities, etc, etc...

Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Great. What a fantastic idea to create a group of people who will have absolutely no say over what happens to them and who are completely at the mercy of others. That, surely, won't lead to exploitation and atrocities. It's never happened in history, either - so there is no chance in the world that we would have had a chance to learn from the past.

[MOD CUT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Religious fundamentalists should not be allowed to vote. By their own words, they adhere to beliefs based on faith rather than critical thinking, and are willing to legislate these religious beliefs on others. They are also statistically less intelligent than the general populace.

Whether or not your argument is valid, it's basically a "group X exhibits subjectively negative qualities and thus should not have a voice".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
As long as a person is a citizen of the United States, they should be allowed to vote. IMHO that includes felons.

No one knows what situation befell the welfare recipients in order for them to collect. Do you really want to disenfranchise the widowed mother who's husband dropped dead and left no insurance? Situations like this can devastate a family. Because of this she should not be allowed to vote? I don't think so, Scooter!
Not being able to vote is not a life or death situation. I am actually more in favor of letting the felons vote than to let welfare recipients vote. For example, a felon who is incarcerated for marijuana possession can use his vote to petition against the useless War on Drugs. So this would in fact be the felon trying to get out from the position of wasting taxpayer dollars on him. A welfare recipient would likely vote for more welfare. Stop taking in taxpayer money and then vote away to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I assume you only limit your view of welfare. Hell, why not everyone that works for the government, or has contracts with the government. If you can vote yourself policies that enable your business to profit directly based off of government influence, isn't that the same as being on the dole?
That's a valid point. People who work for the government would vote to keep or expand government. But at least they are doing work in return.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Every time i look, some RWNJ is concocting some nonsense about restricting someone's vote.
You said a mouthful right here.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM

390 posts, read 265,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Translation: I don't want those people to vote, because they will support politicians and policies I don't like. Ergo, they must not have a say.
Translation: Parasites vote for whoever promises them more of other peoples money.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Translation: Parasites vote for whoever promises them more of other peoples money.
So you've never benefitted from a federal dollar in your life, huh?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Does that include defense contractors and the oil industry?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
No, never. Hell, leave it up to conservatives, they'd double or triple the defense budget. We can't print enough money in their eyes for the war machine.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
This is a common strawman argument I hear - that people who get tax cuts are getting welfare. No. Tax cuts merely means that they are keeping more of their OWN money. They have the right to keep ALL of their own money. At the same time, the government should NOT be bailing them out if they screw up either. If they are actually getting other people's money, then they should not be allowed to vote, but that is not the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, never. Hell, leave it up to conservatives, they'd double or triple the defense budget. We can't print enough money in their eyes for the war machine.
I am anti-war actually. On these boards I have criticized the US foreign policy much more than any member here.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
I love how Republicans want to pick and choose the part of the Constitution they want to support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies