Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Welfare Recipients be Allowed to Vote?
YES 146 76.84%
NO 44 23.16%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Madison spells out clearly the limited nature of the General Welfare Clause in Federalist paper #41.
Madison was also for a small standing military, if any at all, and lots of other things that people today wouldn't agree with. I mean, the constitution doesn't say a damned thing about air traffic control systems, or pilots licenses, but, we still enforce those, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
I completely agree with the OP.

All bailed out bankers should be disenfranchised.

When are you GOP nutters going to stop attempting to turn back the voting clock to the days when only rich white men could vote? Isn't it enough that rich white men control the finances of the country? Do they have to command the rest of us to shut up?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
What do you expect from a country where a good number of states say you're old enough to drive a multi thousand pound car filled with gasoline, but not old enough to have sex?
Noted.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post

That's a valid point. People who work for the government would vote to keep or expand government. But at least they are doing work in return.
No, you missed the rest of it. I am talking about anyone who is affected by government policy in any way. Which would be everyone from defense contractors, small businesses, professional athletes, banks and public sector workers. Everybody's money is affected someway somehow by government policy. But welfare like Medicare, Medicaid, Social security, and the like would also lose their benefits. Your premise is stupid.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think it should be lower.

My son is learning things in 3rd grade that my grandparents didn't learn till highschool, and by the time he's in highschool, he'll know more about the world around him then they did at 21.

So why shouldn't 16 year olds be allowed to vote? Its their country also, right?
really, your kids are learning at a higher level than you grandparents did in high school. That is BS. You know it.
The age thing has been argued for a long long time. No one wins, no won, other than the people that get to vote. What about being to old to vote? WHat about people on medication that alters their mind, like anti depressent meds? There are so many variables to who can vote. But my opinion is that a person shoundt be allowed to vote till 21. That way they have either been in the workforce, college etc for 3-4 years. They will be a little more workdly, educated on reality, networked etc etc. Lots of good things happen to kids when they become engaged with society, in the US, as a independent person.
Its my opinion. Okay,

Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
really, your kids are learning at a higher level than you grandparents did in high school. That is BS. You know it.
The age thing has been argued for a long long time. No one wins, no won, other than the people that get to vote. What about being to old to vote? WHat about people on medication that alters their mind, like anti depressent meds? There are so many variables to who can vote. But my opinion is that a person shoundt be allowed to vote till 21. That way they have either been in the workforce, college etc for 3-4 years. They will be a little more workdly, educated on reality, networked etc etc. Lots of good things happen to kids when they become engaged with society, in the US, as a independent person.
Its my opinion. Okay,

Dude, my son is in third grade and taking an algebra class. I didn't take algebra until 8th grade, and my grandfather didn't know what it was.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Legal citizens have the right to vote. Will they vote democratic , yes they will . Democrats protect them from having to get a job
But not all legal citizens. Felons can't vote, which is ridiculous. I would rather let felons vote than leeches.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So it's safe to assume that you don't claim any deductions on your taxes, right?
Off topic. Try to keep up.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
As long as a person is a citizen of the United States, they should be allowed to vote. IMHO that includes felons.

No one knows what situation befell the welfare recipients in order for them to collect. Do you really want to disenfranchise the widowed mother who's husband dropped dead and left no insurance? Situations like this can devastate a family. Because of this she should not be allowed to vote? I don't think so, Scooter!
I think responsible adults should be doing the voting. Definitely exceptions like the one you used but I think career welfare recipients should not be voting. What is their incentive to get off the dole?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Dude, my son is in third grade and taking an algebra class. I didn't take algebra until 8th grade, and my grandfather didn't know what it was.
Well you went to a crappy school. I was in Algebra at 5th grade. I was in calculus etc in 9th..
Here, do this exam and get back to me..
think:lab: 8th Grade Examination from late 1800's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies