Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times

Advertisements

David Fowler, president of the Family Action Council of Tennessee and devoted Christian compares people in need to "Don't Feed The Animals." It is interesting that he quotes the Bible but neglects the Bible's position on the poor. One in seven Tennessee residents currently received food stamps. Local network news is always asking for a variety of donations and feature news stores about teachers providing lunches for poor children out of their own pocket. Here we have a wrongway Christian in an influential position who believes dignity trumps hunger. Do you think he ever had a hungry day in his life?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
When one is given much it's easy to keep the hand out. Americans have lost their concept on who's poor and who's just lazy, big difference............ people use to have to prove they were poor, now they just have to say it.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
When one is given much it's easy to keep the hand out. Americans have lost their concept on who's poor and who's just lazy, big difference............ people use to have to prove they were poor, now they just have to say it.
Do you have any idea how many hoops, paper work and proof you have to have to get any aid at all?

If you own a car many places you can't even get food stamps, which is not enough to feed a person.

Legitimate, black and white disability cases have to sue and wait years to see if they will get benefits.

Heck in FL, they want you to pay for drug test before they will even consider your application.

Thank god for private charities, they are far more generous than the govt will be for peeps who need it.

I would be far more concerned with all the corporate welfare, than citizen's who have fallen on hard times trying to get a little back for all they have paid in.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
I started feeding the wild turkeys that came into my yard. Now I cant walk out the backdoor without them running up looking for a handout.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Judging by some of OWS' behavior ..... if they want to rut like animals, behave like animals, and live like animals, then they're only getting what they asked for.

But having said that, any person with a sense of decency soesn't want a responsible citizen to suffer.

So the key here, as pointed out in part in post #3, is to return control over access to the local level. (And for whatefer it's worth, I don't have a problem with state or Federal financing -- so long as the documented cheats and habitual ne'er-do-wells are weeded out and identified in accessible public records, just as sex ofenders are).

And I can assure you that every bureaucrat in the "welfare industry" will fight such a measure to the last ditch.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Have you ever considered that the "cheats, lazy and good for nothings" might not make very good employees even if they showed up for work? I have always wondered why it is deplorable for some guy to sit around drinking moonshine on his dilapidated front porch while some rich inheritor stays plastered on expensive scotch in the drawing room of the family estate. One is a drunken slob and the other the patriarch of the family when both are actually useless drunks.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Correct , both are useless drunks. As long as neither is stealing my money , how they screw up their lives is their own business.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The problem is both ARE stealing your money. One by taking welfare money without working and the other for collecting profits without working. One is condemned and the lauded for doing the same thing.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The problem is both ARE stealing your money. One by taking welfare money without working and the other for collecting profits without working. One is condemned and the lauded for doing the same thing.
That is your judgement, Greg, and you are as free to make it as is anyone else here. But when you attempt to incorporate it into the law of the land, you become just one more species of moralistic fig-leaf-hanger. And those of us affected might decide to take defensive (but peaceful) postures.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I started feeding the wild turkeys that came into my yard. Now I cant walk out the backdoor without them running up looking for a handout.
Sorta like the ghetto people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies