Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,457,623 times

Advertisements

Attacking "liberals" and "liberalism" is a popular past time with some contributors to this forum. It's an obsession with them. Reading these criticisms I thought I may have misunderstood what being a "liberal" really meant ... so I looked up the definition:

Quote:
Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis) is a broad political ideology or worldview founded on the ideas of liberty and equality.

Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally liberals support ideas such as capitalism (either regulated or not), constitutionalism, liberal democracy, free and fair elections, human rights and the free exercise of religion
This definition included in Wikipedia is essentially the same as I'm seeing in online dictionaries. So, if this is what a "liberal" is and stands for ... it strikes me that any loyal American would embrace the principles and be congratulated for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,062,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Attacking "liberals" and "liberalism" is a popular past time with some contributors to this forum. It's an obsession with them. Reading these criticisms I thought I may have misunderstood what being a "liberal" really meant ... so I looked up the definition:

This definition included in Wikipedia is essentially the same as I'm seeing in online dictionaries. So, if this is what a "liberal" is and stands for ... it strikes me that any loyal American would embrace the principles and be congratulated for doing so.
They are admirable qualities..... except none of the so called liberals on this forum or in the public eye show anything resembling open mindedness or fairness

Basically, they are hypocrites

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 AM

10,876 posts, read 13,759,851 times
Right wingers are taught everyone that also isn't on the hard right = liberals.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,089,045 times
Eventually were gonna figure it out...

Sure aint American, your the creeps that call the cops for fireworks on the 4th of Jew-lie...

Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,351,321 times
Basically right wingers have a Pavlovian response to the term liberal. I suspect this thread will prove as much.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,344,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
They are admirable qualities..... except none of the so called liberals on this forum or in the public eye show anything resembling open mindedness or fairness

They are not technically hypocrites. Liberals of today were never "liberals" as defined above. They highjacked the term, just like they highjacked the term "progressive." The original Progressive Party consisted of former Republicans, including Teddy Roosevelt.

Democrats are so divisive and intolerant that they needed an image change, so in the 1960s they started calling themselves "liberals" even though they oppose everything defined above. Just like they started calling themselves "progressives" during the 1990s because everyone could see through their ruse.

Democrats have always been, and continue to be, against equality, against civil rights, and pro-segregationists. Their vehement support of Affirmative Action should tell you that much.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,739,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post

And if you ask any liberal, they will say exactly the same thing about conservatives... guess everyone thinks it's "intolerance" or "close-mindedness" when somebody doesn't agree with them, huh? I am a so-called "liberal" who's tolerant of everyone who is generally respectful, and open-minded to anyone/anything that doesn't victimize other people. So if you're going to claim NO liberals show these traits, you could at least provide us with some examples - rather than just hurling insults, which can easily be applied to both sides of the political fence.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They are not technically hypocrites. Liberals of today were never "liberals" as defined above. They highjacked the term, just like they highjacked the term "progressive." The original Progressive Party consisted of former Republicans, including Teddy Roosevelt.

Democrats are so divisive and intolerant that they needed an image change, so in the 1960s they started calling themselves "liberals" even though they oppose everything defined above. Just like they started calling themselves "progressives" during the 1990s because everyone could see through their ruse.

Democrats have always been, and continue to be, against equality, against civil rights, and pro-segregationists. Their vehement support of Affirmative Action should tell you that much.
Keep in mind, many liberals TODAY don't consider themselves Democrats... myself included.

So, are we whining about actual liberals or Democrats here? There is a difference, after all.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Eventually were gonna figure it out...

Sure aint American, your the creeps that call the cops for fireworks on the 4th of Jew-lie...

I have no idea what you're saying here, but feel like I should be offended at that last part... can you translate, please?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,788,138 times
There is very little difference between the goals and ideals of most liberals or conservatives. Where the deviation comes in is how to get from point A to point B. A liberals position tends to be more emotional and lacks practicality, a conservative is more likely to push their emotions aside for common sense.

Liberals response to world hunger" "We have to feed these people"

Conservative response and to quote Sam Kinison: "Move to where the ****ing food is"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies