Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:11 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Most Americans are under the impression that just because they paid into SS it gave them the right to collect benefits for the rest of their lives. The common line goes, "I paid for SS. I have a right to be paid benefits."

Here's the language from the original bill, of the Social Security Act of 1935, that shoots holes in their dreams of unfettered checks from the govt until they die. It's from Section 1104:

Quote:
"The right to alter, amend, or repeal any provision of this Act is hereby reserved to the Congress."
Moreover, in Flemming v. Nestor (1960) the Supreme Court "established the principle that entitlement to Social Security benefits is not contractual right." In delivering the Court's opinion, Justice Harlan wrote:

Quote:
to engraft upon the social security system a concept of "accrued property rights" would deprive it of the flexibility and boldness in adjustment to ever-changing conditions which it demands. [...] we must conclude that a person covered by the act has no such right in benefit payments...
"What this means is that payroll taxpayers have no right to Social Security benefits whatsoever; they are owed nothing; they have no contractual rights, no ownership -- and no recourse should Congress end the program."

Ryan talks about keeping people over 55 on SS and weaning the young off it. Many of us suspect that underneath all this political hay is a devious Republican plan to eliminate SS/Medicare as quickly and stealthily as possible for both young AND old--and the sooner, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
read the ryan plan again will you? it says that anyone over the age of 55 will NOT be denied medicare. it goes on to say that those under 55 have the choice of either going on medicare, OR taking the voucher to buy their OWN insurance. and the voucher plan payment is NOT set in stone either. if you need more to buy insurance, the government would pony up more. in the end however the ryan plan doesnt actually save medicare, so much as extend it to where we have time to make the program sustainable.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,347,608 times

If congress repealed SS that the majority of Americans have been paying into most of their lives,
I predict a monumental increase in the sale of rope.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
its past time to start letting people opt out of these insolvent programs
and the government has no business running retirement plans.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
read the ryan plan again will you? it says that anyone over the age of 55 will NOT be denied medicare. it goes on to say that those under 55 have the choice of either going on medicare, OR taking the voucher to buy their OWN insurance. and the voucher plan payment is NOT set in stone either. if you need more to buy insurance, the government would pony up more. in the end however the ryan plan doesnt actually save medicare, so much as extend it to where we have time to make the program sustainable.
I think you missed the point of the OP. Read the two words I bolded in your comment: "it says". That's the facade Ryan throws out to the American people. But what are his and the Repubs' real intention: to obliterate SS/Medicare. They have never been shy about wanting to accomplish this. My point is that what they say they want to do and what the provisions in the Act of 1935 say they can do are one and the same. It's just a matter of slowly tricking the public into thinking that cutting their throats is somehow good for them. With a deviously clever elite 1%, a compliant MSM, and an American public with the collective intellect of a two-year-old---it's just a matter of time. In the next ten years, in fact.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,347,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

I think you missed the point of the OP. Read the two words I bolded in your comment: "it says". That's the facade Ryan throws out to the American people. But what are his and the Repubs' real intention: to obliterate SS/Medicare. They have never been shy about wanting to accomplish this. My point is that what they say they want to do and what the provisions in the Act of 1935 say they can do are one and the same. It's just a matter of slowly tricking the public into thinking that cutting their throats is somehow good for them. With a deviously clever elite 1%, a compliant MSM, and an American public with the collective intellect of a two-year-old---it's just a matter of time. In the next ten years, in fact.

Reminds me of the "new and improved" Hershey kisses... Air Delights... the ones with the air holes and less chocolate.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

If congress repealed SS that the majority of Americans have been paying into most of their lives,

On ths one you are 100% correct. The govenment took and still takes money from me every month with the understading that I would be able to draw on it when I retire, either they will repay the funds plus interest or continue the program, the alternative would result in a blood bath.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Thy've been doing a pretty good job of it for the last 75 years. If you had a business that had 100 percent satisfied customers for 75 years running, I'd think that was a successful business.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The govt has no right morally to foist a scheme to tax them under the guise of providing a benefit to keep them out of poverty, and then pull the rug out from under them when a simple corrective measure like lifting the cap would keep it solvent.

But as i pointed out the govt has the legal right to do so. The matter before us then is whether the public would take it lying down. My guess, given their complete apathy to govt cutting their nuts off, is that they will take it lying down---in a bathtub full of water as they bleed to death.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies