Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times

Advertisements

Just another thread showcasing the stupidity and ignorance of the average american about europe and the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Well, I'm German and I predict a break-up of the Eurozone within the next five years. Austerity measures will lead to riots and more instability in the European Periphery. Therefore tearing the Union apart. It would be the best for Germany to just leave the Euro and let it collapse. Yet this is not in the Germany mentality to do this. Germany will not be the country which destroyed the Euro considering it's past. For Germany it's all the way to the Euro-Endsieg.
i am surprised that more germans don't want to leave the euro, or do they?

we don't hear much about that here.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,586,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i am surprised that more germans don't want to leave the euro, or do they?

we don't hear much about that here.
Polls in Germany have shown that more than 50% of Germans want to leave the Euro.

Most Germans want Deutsche mark back, poll shows | Reuters

But in Germany it's not PC to advocate for a return of the Deutschmark, the nazi card is usually played out very fast.

Mainstream Opinion in Germany is that if Germany would leave the Euro, that there would be war Europe once again. Because according to mainstream opinion the EU project was started so that Germany wouldn't grow to big. Because you know deep down Germans are Nazis and if they grow to big they will go around plunder the rest of Europe again. Always keep in mind that there wasn't a single European country that supported German Unification.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Well, I'm German and I predict a break-up of the Eurozone within the next five years. Austerity measures will lead to riots and more instability in the European Periphery. Therefore tearing the Union apart. It would be the best for Germany to just leave the Euro and let it collapse. Yet this is not in the Germany mentality to do this. Germany will not be the country which destroyed the Euro considering it's past. For Germany it's all the way to the Euro-Endsieg.
This is actually the reason some member countries have hinted to Finland that they should mention the possibility of leaving. Finland is economically strong, yet small enough to not harm then union as whole, ifnthey left, but if they bring up the issue of leaving euro, it could send a strong enough message to the rest. If Germany departed, it would bring down the whole system and probably the entire EU economy, which in turn would take down the German economy.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Polls in Germany have shown that more than 50% of Germans want to leave the Euro.

Most Germans want Deutsche mark back, poll shows | Reuters
Truth be told, it's in Germany's long term interest to keep the Euro.

Those are your customers of your products you are hoping to shame and blame for mismanagement.

You can get satisfaction from letting them suffer, but you'll be adding misery to your own economy.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Truth be told, it's in Germany's long term interest to keep the Euro.

Those are your customers of your products you are hoping to shame and blame for mismanagement.

You can get satisfaction from letting them suffer, but you'll be adding misery to your own economy.
Yes they are our customers. But why export to them? We are actually paying them to buy our products. That doesn't make much sense. It would make much more sense for Germany to return to the Deutschmark and export less but actually being paid.

It's not in Germany's interest to keep the Euro. In the long-term the Euro will bankrupt Germany and destroy it's economy.

The IFO Institute located in Munich has hit the nail on the head.

CESifo Group Munich - The Exposure Level – Eurozone countries’ exposure, highlighting Germany’s share, derived from bailouts and other financial support measures for distressed countries

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is actually the reason some member countries have hinted to Finland that they should mention the possibility of leaving. Finland is economically strong, yet small enough to not harm then union as whole, ifnthey left, but if they bring up the issue of leaving euro, it could send a strong enough message to the rest. If Germany departed, it would bring down the whole system and probably the entire EU economy, which in turn would take down the German economy.
Yes, if Germany would threaten to leave the Eurozone it would create Chaos in Financial Markets. But you are wrong that if the Euro would break-up it only would impact Germany and Europe. A break-up of the Eurozone would trigger a kind of Global Depression that would make the Great Depression look like a nice picnic.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, if Germany would threaten to leave the Eurozone it would create Chaos in Financial Markets. But you are wrong that if the Euro would break-up it only would impact Germany and Europe. A break-up of the Eurozone would trigger a kind of Global Depression that would make the Great Depression look like a nice picnic.
I said it would impact all of Europe, I didn't say it would not impact anyone else. In global economy everyone is linked, and the US collapse is a good example where everyone was affected by struggles of one country.

I do not think it would cause a global depression though. Why would it?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I said it would impact all of Europe, I didn't say it would not impact anyone else. In global economy everyone is linked, and the US collapse is a good example where everyone was affected by struggles of one country.

I do not think it would cause a global depression though. Why would it?
I would say that if the 25% of global Economy collapses and considering the exposure of American Banks in the Eurozone it would trigger a Global Depression. Banks would fail on a Grand Scale. The International Banking would collapse just like it was about in 2008. Only difference is that this time around Countries won't be able to bail them out. But Global Depression will come either way. Take a look at balance sheets of to big to fail banks. The Financial System has come to an end and once again will need a painful reset.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I would say that if the 25% of global Economy collapses and considering the exposure of American Banks in the Eurozone it would trigger a Global Depression. Banks would fail on a Grand Scale. The International Banking would collapse just like it was about in 2008. Only difference is that this time around Countries won't be able to bail them out. But Global Depression will come either way. Take a look at balance sheets of to big to fail banks. The Financial System has come to an end and once again will need a painful reset.
I do not think the end of euro equates to collapse of EU economies. Again, why would it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies