Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,951,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree Medical Marijuana is a good start but at the same time I can't help but think how hypocritical the term Medical Marijuana and legislation of it is in of itself. How can a rational person recognize the many medical benefits of this plant that grows all over the world often in extreme conditions but also think it is OK to prosecute and imprison citizens that grow or possess it but don't have a "form" allowing them to do so?

This isn't some new, trendy "designer drug". Marijuana has been around and used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years in a diverse cross sample of cultures all over the World.
Pushing "Medical Marijuana" as the only use of the plant also completely ignores the hundreds of other benefits Marijuana has that doesn't include getting high.

The United States was not the first super-power in the World but we are the first country to launch a World-Wide War against one of humanities' most useful plants. I would think that religious zealots would protest such a slight against God's "miracle plant".

You're so right. It is hypocritical, but so far all we can do right now is baby steps. Because as you can see there are still many people who buy into the lies that made it illegal in the first place. I won't name names, but some of those types post here <COUGH COUGH> Having said that prohibition of pot should be repealed, like yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,907,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But plenty of cops and narcs would pretty strongly agree with you, because they say they usually find marijuana along with other drugs they're after when they do a raid. This is also the reasoning my state senator gets from cops when he questions them on the issue of legalizing marijuana. As a result, my state senator is opposed to so much as just legalizing medical marijuana. BECAUSE IT IS A GATEWAY DRUG!
Cops, narcs and prosecutors have a vested financial interest in maintaining and escalating the war on drugs. Many of them would be looking for new jobs and/or new ways to skim and grift if drugs were legalized.

It is just like the people that claim that there is a lack of peer reviewed medical studies regarding the safety and efficacy of medical marijuana. I suspect that many of them aren't aware that the DEA controls access to the marijuana used for the studies and that they will only approve studies that have a bias toward the current prohibitionist status quo.

If a group wants to prove that marijuana is safe for patients to use - the federal DEA will deny them access to marijuana.

If a group wants to prove that marijuana is a dangerous gateway drug - the DEA is more than happy to supply them with marijuana and even cash subsidies to help with their "research".

Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM

990 posts, read 936,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about someone who stops by a bar after work and has one, maybe two, beers? If he is intending to get drunk that way, it won't happen!
He is no different than a man who stops off at his buddy's house for a joint. He can do it in moderation and be safe...though drinking even 1 beer and driving is certainly not as safe as puffing a joint and driving and that's a proven fact.

Plus, a man can easily get drunk that way...stopping off at a bar on the way home from work is how many people get DUIs.

Quote:
You do realize that many who obtain marijuana for "medical" purposes aren't even using it for that. If someone needs to smoke that junk to make things less boring or more entertaining, he or she needs to have a life. Stop with the artificial living and try some real life.
I had a friend who died of cancer a few years ago. He was diagnosed about 10 years before with a brain tumor and was given the choice of being prescribed marijuana to help with his nausea and appetite issues or to simply suffer and die because he couldn't eat or hold food down. He chose marijuana and lived another 10 years, the doctors said it was solely the result of his marijuana usage that he was able to survive.

Plus, I wasn't actually talking about Rx Marijuana, as we know that Rx drugs have tons of different uses, abuses and some have killed THOUSANDS. Like Vioxx...that was legal, but I don't see you posting in any threads about how it's wrong, now do I?

Do you eat partially hydrogenated corn oil or other trans fats? Well, that's not very natural and causes cancer and obesity and countless public health issues, as well as increasing MY healthcare costs because fatties can't eat healthy.

I'll leave this portion of the argument with a quote from a movie:
"Weed is from the earth. God put this here for me and you. Take advantage man, take advantage"
You do realize that you're advocating for making a natural plant illegal while you're totally fine with legalized drugs which are made with unnatural chemicals and which kill thousands every year.

Quote:
Do you really believe all the nonsense you just posted?
Well, I actually posted facts, information and logical statements of truth. You posted one anecdotal article from 16+ years ago which is one of the most easily refuted arguments in the history of political discussions.

Try actually refuting my statements with facts. I know facts are difficult for someone like you to understand, but they actually matter when you're trying to make bold statements like the ones you've made.

And seriously, how can anyone actually like Fox "News"? It's like the fake broadcasts from Robocop or Starship Troopers, nobody can possibly take it seriously, can they?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM

14,922 posts, read 8,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It's surprising how few people actually know about jury nullification, and its role in the judicial system.

That's the point of having jurors decide cases instead of panels of judges (who would obviously be better-versed in the laws themselves). The jurors have the ability to reject the very basis for the prosecution, whether or not the person on trial is technically guilty of the alleged charges.
Correct. The jury is the only defense we have against legislative and judicial tyranny. Unfortunately, one must be very selective of whom they accept as a juror, because we have a population who have been trained and conditioned to automatically obey authority, rather than think for themselves. That type of individual "nullifies" the concept of jury nullification.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,228,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Another Jury Revolts Against Marijuana Laws, "They felt marijuana should be legalized." | StoptheDrugWar.org

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, citizens thinking critically and taking the laws into their own hands. The longest and costliest war in US history is a failure and was launched by lies and propaganda. There is no excuse for it's support anymore.
The jury can do exactly what it wants, and should know this before they enter the court and sly lawyers try to manipulate them. And it should do what it right: stop supporting our insane power-mad government in their ridiculous, bankrupting, and utterly pointless Drug War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies