Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 AM

55 posts, read 62,978 times

Advertisements

Why are people not mad sick that we don't have our own culture anymore? Look at places Like Charleston, SOuth Carolina. These people are the friendliest and most happy people int he country. They have beautiful unique scenery and culture. Most of us have had wal-marts, mcdonalds, burgers kings, targets/etc that make up our horrible scenery.

I was looking at old historic photos of the 19th century in my state and was wondering what could have happened if industrialization didn't kick in and if we, like the people in various parts of the original 13 colonies were left to our own devices. There were signs of a unique culture forming.. ah, what could have been.

I WANT culture. It makes life so much more interesting. Anyone else feel the same way? I can't stand so mny things about the US today. And I think most of the core problems come down to corporations dominating our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
In California the American culture is being over run so you better enjoy the culture you have left. In San Jose there is an area called little saigon and other parts look more like mexico or china. Today's version of "industrialzation" knocks Americans out of their own jobs, with no regard to our way of life, community standards, or values. Really sad what the corporations and politicians have done.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Most people have been convinced by Corporate culture that something bad will happen to them, their product will be inferior or they will get sick if they don't stick with the big name national brands/chains.

Many live in their cookie cutter neighborhoods with HOAs and frequent the big chains.
They like the rules, the sameness. They find comfort in it. They like living and shopping in "Anytown, USA"
It feels so "Stepford Wives" to me.

Still plenty of uniqueness in America though. I love the hole in the wall places and the mom & pop places and using local small businesses. They care. They don't have corporate marketing folks or money for national advertising.
All they have is their reputation so they go to great lengths to show their appreciation to their customers, who spread the word.

I try to avoid the big national chains and after the small local business, I go to regional.
I live in a rural town, no big box and less than a handful of national chains.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonJohn View Post
Why are people not mad sick that we don't have our own culture anymore? Look at places Like Charleston, SOuth Carolina. These people are the friendliest and most happy people int he country. They have beautiful unique scenery and culture. Most of us have had wal-marts, mcdonalds, burgers kings, targets/etc that make up our horrible scenery.

I was looking at old historic photos of the 19th century in my state and was wondering what could have happened if industrialization didn't kick in and if we, like the people in various parts of the original 13 colonies were left to our own devices. There were signs of a unique culture forming.. ah, what could have been.

I WANT culture. It makes life so much more interesting. Anyone else feel the same way? I can't stand so mny things about the US today. And I think most of the core problems come down to corporations dominating our lives.

What is the "corporate culture"?

It means something different to everyone.

To me, it represents the free market system, whatever is best for the company I work for. But that line is only true if the company you work for is giving you enough benefits that you are happy with doing the work.

And thus, its the free market. No one is forced to work anywhere. Feel free to work on a farm picking fruit. No corporate culture, but you won't make much money. Might make you happy though.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:54 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
CJ, do what I did..

Be self employed, support your local businessman, support your local charities and be a maverick. Lead life your way as much as possible.

Be a man and set your own destiny (as much as you can).

Or move to Costa Rico.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
It's not corporate culture that you describe, that's called overdevelopment based on fast food, big box store chains.

All that needs to be done is stop shopping there, they will go away.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
CJ, do what I did..

Be self employed, support your local businessman, support your local charities and be a maverick. Lead life your way as much as possible.

Be a man and set your own destiny (as much as you can).

Or move to Costa Rico.
LOL, agree completely. Costa Rica may win out for me although I did see a Walmart when I was down there.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:49 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
In California the American culture is being over run so you better enjoy the culture you have left. In San Jose there is an area called little saigon and other parts look more like mexico or china. Today's version of "industrialzation" knocks Americans out of their own jobs, with no regard to our way of life, community standards, or values. Really sad what the corporations and politicians have done.

Indeed. While the America I grew up in as a black child during the 60's was far from perfect, I weep for what it has become. It is a hot unrecognizable mess and disgrace. We have gone from a melting pot to a pot of chaotic foreign 3rd world lawless ****.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonJohn View Post
Why are people not mad sick that we don't have our own culture anymore? Look at places Like Charleston, SOuth Carolina. These people are the friendliest and most happy people int he country.
Unless you happen to be black, of course. They take a special pride in publicly berating their negroes down there. It's fascinating to behold; like taking a trip back in time to a simpler era, when a man could beat the help and everyone knew it was because little Faubus had screwed up your drink order.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:47 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Corporations are people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies