Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Seatbelt laws, just like motorcycle helmet laws, are at the state level. I'm not certain why the OP thinks that there are not public awareness campaigns, there are. I see them constantly on TV and along the interstate alert sign systems as well as hearing them on radio public service announcements.

To claim that nobody will be harmed except the person not wearing the seatbelt is egocentric at best. Not all harm is physical, much is economic as well ( EMS responder time, cost & risks, lost income, hospital expenses, insurance, life insurace for survivors, etc...). That said, how can the OP predict with any accuracy where his/her body, as an unrestrained projectile in a vehicular accident will go or land?

Clue: Upon birth you were assigned a number by the State (read federal government & SSN). From that time on it laid claim to a share of any income or wealth you may earn/receive in your lifetime via taxation. People who increase their risk of being non-producers via things like not wearing a seatbelt, etc..., will be taxed for their non-compliant behavior to the states' laws.

As in all things............follow the money.
Do you support the outlawing of motorcycles then? Its the only way you wouldn't be a hypocrite on this topic.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm starting this thread after a lengthy conversation with a police officer today. How do you posters feel about seatbelt laws? Personally, I feel like it gives officers too much authority. Nobody will be harmed, but yourself for not wearing a seatbelt. Shouldn't there be public awareness campaigns rather than law enforcement of the issue?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Center for Statistics and Analysis estimates that 147,246 lives have been saved between 1975 and 2001 as a result of seat belts that is reason enough. Now you argue that if you don't wear your seat belt no one else is hurt, well even if you don't have family members who care about you, the social costs of death and serious injury as a result of your not wearing your seat belt were estimated for 1994 to be $169 billion due to lost wages, medical expenses and administrative costs. Of course that doesn't include the psychological cost to family, friends, or first responders who will risk their lives trying to reach you, try to save you and have to live with the images of your needlessly lifeless and mangled body. But hey, why should you care about having limits placed upon your narcissistic view of personal liberty.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Center for Statistics and Analysis estimates that 147,246 lives have been saved between 1975 and 2001 as a result of seat belts that is reason enough. Now you argue that if you don't wear your seat belt no one else is hurt, well even if you don't have family members who care about you, the social costs of death and serious injury as a result of your not wearing your seat belt were estimated for 1994 to be $169 billion due to lost wages, medical expenses and administrative costs. Of course that doesn't include the psychological cost to family, friends, or first responders who will risk their lives trying to reach you, try to save you and have to live with the images of your needlessly lifeless and mangled body. But hey, why should you care about having limits placed upon your narcissistic view of personal liberty.
Narcissistic? Read through my post history.

Do you support the outlaw of motorcycles? It's the only way you wouldn't be a hypocrite.

And with your logic, why not outlaw alchohol and cigarettes??

Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
I think not wearing a seatbelt is, at best, foolish - but I would probably use much harsher terms to describe people who don't wear them. That said, if you are foolish enough to not wear your seatbelt, you should have every right to do so. I don't think any government needs to protect it's citizens from their own idiocy.

However, since we generally believe that minors are worthy of protection and that they usually lack the mental maturity to make informed decisions, I would think that we can mandate seat belt usage for those who are minors. While I do think that proper care needs to be exercised by a minor's legal guardian, I understand that some people are simply too dumb to acknowledge that not wearing a seat belt puts people at tremendous risk. Your kids can make their own decision one's the turn 18 - until then, I would hope that they can be protected.

In line with that, I would also like it if health insurers took seat belt use into account. If you have an accident and it is shown that you didn't wear your seatbelt, your co-pay and deductible should automatically be raised manifold to cover the higher cost of the generally more severe injuries you suffer.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I think not wearing a seatbelt is, at best, foolish - but I would probably use much harsher terms to describe people who don't wear them. That said, if you are foolish enough to not wear your seatbelt, you should have every right to do so. I don't think any government needs to protect it's citizens from their own idiocy............
Remember, the statists want Darwinism to be taught but not actually practiced.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Default When you ASSume.......

Quote:
Do you support the outlawing of motorcycles then? Its the only way you wouldn't be a hypocrite on this topic.
Reading comprehension problems? I chose neither side of the arguement but rather pointed out facts to the OP.

You can pick and choose which laws you want to obey; however, in doing so one must be willing to accept the price. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Do you support the outlaw of motorcycles?
I think that may be a bit of a stretch. Motorcycles are accepted modes of transportation. Some modes of transportation bear inherently higher risks than others - but we still think they are acceptable. You see, you could also argue that car accidents cause many more fatalities and injuries than train travel and that you should, consequently, prohibit the automobile and reinvest in much safer train travel.

Next you could argue that walking is safer and causes even fewer deaths....

Since none of that makes any sense, it's not really a valid point. What is a valid point is that we can make the modes of transport we deem acceptable a bit safer. Some believe that laws (such as seat belt and helmet laws) are the way to go...

Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Remember, the statists want Darwinism to be taught but not actually practiced.
LOL - indeed.

Personally, I hate the over-protectiveness many want to legislate. Allow people to be dumb - it leads to a betterment of society in the end.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
I'm starting this thread after a lengthy conversation with a police officer today. How do you posters feel about seatbelt laws? Personally, I feel like it gives officers too much authority. Nobody will be harmed, but yourself for not wearing a seatbelt. Shouldn't there be public awareness campaigns rather than law enforcement of the issue?
That is not true. Other people in the car can be harmed. If your window is open and you're thrown, others can be harmed. If you go through the windshield, somebody else could be harmed. This creates more problems for emergency response crews, as well as the fact that people are more seriously injured when not wearing a seatbelt. Think minor whiplash versus a concussion caused by the airbag hitting you full force.

Not to mention, the manufacturers have a duty to protect you. Airbags can seriously hurt you if you're not strapped in. Imagine all the lawsuits by idiots who are too dumb to wear their seatbelts when that airbag comes out and smacks them in the face. Been there, done that, been wearing a seatbelt ever since.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Narcissistic? Read through my post history.
Why should I be obligated to research your post history when my comment was directed solely at the comment as expressed?

Quote:
Do you support the outlaw of motorcycles?
Why do people insist on relying on red herrings and false analogies. You would have been better off by asking me if I am favor of mandatory helmet laws. And yes as a motorcyclist I believe in mandatory helmet laws. As for alcohol besides being another red herring, in this context only becomes an issue when it is abused.

As for cigarettes. Even as a smoker, I would greatly appreciate it if the government did outlaw it. It would save me the time, effort and money that I've wasted trying to quit.

Any other questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies