Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I guess we should start outlawing all things that are risky. Motorcycles should be 1st. Guns. Those are super risky. Rock climbing. Sky diving.
You've missed the point completely because you're emotionally hacked by the ticket.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze View Post
Opposed for those over the age of eighteen. If you believe in liberty, you are against anything mandatory that only affects you and not others. That includes drug laws.

New Hampshire got it right.

MORE false logic, you are more likely able to maintain control of your vehicle in an accident when you are wearing your seat-belt.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
I guess we should start outlawing all things that are risky. Motorcycles should be 1st. Guns. Those are super risky. Rock climbing. Sky diving.
Here's your problem as I see it, life appears to be too complex for you so you see things as being anything other than black or white as opposed the reality that life is indeed filled with shades of gray.

Since posting this thread you have failed to present a single iota of evidence that mandatory seat belt use is unduly burdensome public policy. And you certainly have not presented a single cogent argument that the benefits to society derived from mandatory seat belt use are outweighed by any cost to "individual" freedom. The only argument that you seem capable of mounting is this juvenile argument that we must either abolish all potentially unsafe activities or abandon setting some minimum standards. Your arguments, so far, have been silly if not childish.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Here's your problem as I see it, life appears to be too complex for you so you see things as being anything other than black or white as opposed the reality that life is indeed filled with shades of gray.
50 of them?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Since posting this thread you have failed to present a single iota of evidence that mandatory seat belt use is unduly burdensome public policy. And you certainly have not presented a single cogent argument that the benefits to society derived from mandatory seat belt use are outweighed by any cost to "individual" freedom. The only argument that you seem capable of mounting is this juvenile argument that we must either abolish all potentially unsafe activities or abandon setting some minimum standards. Your arguments, so far, have been silly if not childish.
No. There's quite a few posters who agree with me. About 40%. You just disagree with me.

Several other posters have made valid arguments as well. A poster was simply referring to the insurance expense argument.

The argument made was that not wearing a seat belt increases the risk for serious injury during an accident (which I agree with) which thus increases insurance premiums for others. Particularly if the accident costs outweigh what their insurance covers.

Another poster made an analogy to other risky behaviors that could similarly drive up insurance premiums for others. I don't see how that is getting off topic at all.

Last edited by Gtownoe; 08-20-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
MORE false logic, you are more likely able to maintain control of your vehicle in an accident when you are wearing your seat-belt.
Re-read his post. He doesn't talk about safety at all.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You've missed the point completely because you're emotionally hacked by the ticket.
How do you defend yourself in court against a seat belt ticket??

Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Isn't all of it based on risk though?? If your trying to outlaw risks, or choosing laws that lower risk, then why not cut out the riskiest practices??

Which is safer? Riding a motorcycle or driving without a seat belt??

I'm stupid for not wearing a seat belt but a biker is not considered stupid for driving a motorcycle. Doesn't make sense.
I think we are on the same page...

Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I think laws mandating seatbelts are absolutely ridiculous. I grew up in NH and I must say that is the way to go, its no ones business if I wear my seatbelt, its no ones concern if I care for my safety. Gotta love NH...no helmet laws, no seatbelt laws, and many other laws that make life much easier and enjoyable.

Heres the poll id like to take for those of you that wear a seatbelt because you are concerned about your safety and the safety of others...

Do you use your turn signals everytime you change lanes? Have you ever talked on your cell phone while driving? The list goes on, but if you do not obey other safety practices incorporated into driving then wearing a seatbelt because your "concerned about safety" is not a good answer for wearing one. Or..do you drive unsafe and thats the reason for wearing one?

I see people everyday merging and changing lanes without blinkers, talking on cell phones while driving, cutting people off, etc..and most of them are wearing seatbelts. I am sure that some of then are wearing them because its law but Id still be curious to ask these people why they wear a seatbelt. How many of them do you think would say because they are concerned about safety? See what I mean?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
(to ovcatto) No. There's quite a few posters who agree with me. About 40%. You just disagree with me.

Several other posters have made valid arguments as well.
How bout this. Think of your speeding ticket as payment of a bill. A bill to the city/state for use of their employees for cleaning up public property. Whatever mess an accident makes, they have to deal with it. And taxes only pay for cleaning up so much mess, the amount the rest of us are likely to make if we ever have a head-on collision. All the blood and guts and body parts you spill out on their highways and streets costs extra. You and everyone else who doesn't wear a seatbelt have opted to make use of these additional services. Now pay for them and kwicherbichen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies