Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
No. Why would I pay into something and not be covered? IF, that is IF, I have an accident, and I'm not wearing a seat belt and need their assistance, I'd expect my insurance premiums to go up. But don't they go up anyway?

And is your argument one based on insurance premiums??
So you are ok with me paying higher premiums because you refuse to buckle up? Now whos freedom is being infringed on? Box.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
I think the stupid thing here is that most states do not allow insurance companies to penalize drivers for not wearing the seat belt.

I think a state mandated 'adjustment' using macro data could be allowed (i..e if you are not wearing a helmet and/or seatbelt at the time of the crash and the crash results in injury to you
1) 40% reduction in payment to cover your medical loss.
2)if the injury results in unemployment, medicare, medicaid, SSN, then any payouts will be adjusted by 40%

Then I would be a-okay

Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Let's recap your points.

1) You don't want children to see horrific accidents.
2) You don't want people to see others getting killed.

How are those points at all?
I also said that since the city/state has to clean up the extra mess you make by flying through the windshield and splattering on their streets, they have the right to charge you extra, even in the form of a citation because they can't very well bill you once you're dead.

But yeah, let's play your game. How is "I don't want to have to buckle up" a point?

You claimed that not buckling up couldn't possibly affect another person in a negative way, and I refuted that argument. You do not live in a bubble, though perhaps we'd all be a little happier if you did

Old 08-21-2012, 04:25 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Seriously, this is getting stupid.

Few if any here have actually logically considered the statistical evidence to a given side. You are all a bunch of people serving your own ignorance for position.

May you get the government you so seem to argue for. You deserve slavery, may your master be as cruel as you have been ignorant and self serving and may your children curse you for your ignorance.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Seriously, this is getting stupid.

Few if any here have actually logically considered the statistical evidence to a given side. You are all a bunch of people serving your own ignorance for position.

May you get the government you so seem to argue for. You deserve slavery, may your master be as cruel as you have been ignorant and self serving and may your children curse you for your ignorance.
What is this nonsense?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What is this nonsense?
Apparently, having to wear a seat belt is comparable to being chained to one another and forced to break rocks for free. I hear that's what they did to the Africans before they brought 'em here against their will... made 'em wear seatbelts while driving around in their Hyundais, tha bastards

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
enforcement is part of compliance

without fines, people would just go without, thereby endangering themselves, causing problems for everyone else, and raising rates on insurance for others. Yes its about money. Money that would cost others in higher insurance rates; Money that would be used to clean up accident scenes shutting down freeways for hours.

Assessing a fine is what makes people comply. Makes them wear the seatbelt.

If people just wore them voluntarily and keep a above 90% compliance rate per state, these laws would not have to be in place.

But we've seen that once you give them the freedom, they don't do it voluntarily.

I want seat belt laws. I don't care if you want to Darwin yourself out of existence, but your dead body is responsible for my higher insurance rate.

Jeremy Foley wouldn't have survived this crash, if he wasn't wearing a seat belt system in his car:

Jeremy Foley Crash - Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2012 - YouTube

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I think the stupid thing here is that most states do not allow insurance companies to penalize drivers for not wearing the seat belt.

I think a state mandated 'adjustment' using macro data could be allowed (i..e if you are not wearing a helmet and/or seatbelt at the time of the crash and the crash results in injury to you
1) 40% reduction in payment to cover your medical loss.
2)if the injury results in unemployment, medicare, medicaid, SSN, then any payouts will be adjusted by 40%

Then I would be a-okay
Your just making up numbers. You obviously never worked in insurance. Obviously you have an agenda against those who don't wear seatbelts. Its showing. Luckily I don't fault motorcyclist for the expense of their accidents. I just pay my premium.

If you want to complain about your insurance costs stop blaming other people and blame the insurance companies. They're the ones robbing you.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
enforcement is part of compliance

without fines, people would just go without, thereby endangering themselves, causing problems for everyone else, and raising rates on insurance for others. Yes its about money. Money that would cost others in higher insurance rates; Money that would be used to clean up accident scenes shutting down freeways for hours.

Assessing a fine is what makes people comply. Makes them wear the seatbelt.

If people just wore them voluntarily and keep a above 90% compliance rate per state, these laws would not have to be in place.

But we've seen that once you give them the freedom, they don't do it voluntarily.

I want seat belt laws. I don't care if you want to Darwin yourself out of existence, but your dead body is responsible for my higher insurance rate.

Jeremy Foley wouldn't have survived this crash, if he wasn't wearing a seat belt system in his car:

Jeremy Foley Crash - Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2012 - YouTube
Same tired argument that's been proven to not be consistent. Please keep up with the thread.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I also said that since the city/state has to clean up the extra mess you make by flying through the windshield and splattering on their streets, they have the right to charge you extra, even in the form of a citation because they can't very well bill you once you're dead.

But yeah, let's play your game. How is "I don't want to have to buckle up" a point?

You claimed that not buckling up couldn't possibly affect another person in a negative way, and I refuted that argument. You do not live in a bubble, though perhaps we'd all be a little happier if you did
You just don't get it so I'm gonna stop. Your just too dense. I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies