Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times

Advertisements

If Romney wins, he will repeal ObamaCare. This means private insurance companies will be able to refuse insurance to people if they have pre-existing conditions. It also means they can charge you a higher rate if you have pre-existing conditions. They will also be able to cancel your policy when you get sick and have high cost insurance claims.

These issues mainly come into play for insurance that you buy on the open market, when you dont get insurance from your employer.

Fast forward to new Medicare where you buy private insurance using your voucher.

Since you are retired when on medicare, you can no longer get insurance from your employer. The open market private insurers can refuse you if preexisting condition and they can charge you $2500 a month if you have preexisting condition(if ObamaCare is repealed).

So if a retiree gets a $800/mo Medicare voucher....how do they get health insurance if the private carrier refuses them because they had prior heart surgery or cancer or diabetes?

If a retiree gets a a $800 Medicare voucher....how to they afford health insurance if the private carriers charge $1700/mo because the person is 80 years old and has several health issues related to old age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
The Ryan plan requires insurers to issue polices under his MediGut plan. So that is not an issue. The problem is what will those policies cost. MediGut does nothing to control costs; the risk and certainty of medical care inflation is simply passed to seniors. Another problem with MediGut is that insurers are not required to provide prescription coverage and the coverage that seniors have today goes away. Same thing with out of pocket costs - insurers will be able to collect whatever they want as copays. But yes, seniors will have no problem enrolling in a lousy plan with no prescription coverage and unlimited copays under MediGut. Ryan's got them covered. Perhaps the worst thing and one that is not getting much attention is that MediGut also guts Medicaid by giving block grants to states that only cover a fraction of the cost. States will have to choose between health care for kids and nursing homes for elderly. The bets are that the elderly will get the preference. Great country this is when we choose tax breaks for millionaires like Romney and bombs and endless war over care for sick kids and indigent elderly.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Even if Romney wins, ObamaCare will be difficult to repeal. The same goes for Medicare. Politicians blow lots of smoke in election years.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
What happened to Congress ?

Are we voting on a one man dictatorship in November ?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What happened to Congress ?

Are we voting on a one man dictatorship in November ?
Republicans have pledged to do as they are told, not what is in the national interest. The veto pen is the number one reason I support Obama. I am scared s-less by an all republican government considering the kooks that have taken over the party in the last few years. I have seen in AZ what that can lead to.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Republicans have pledged to do as they are told, not what is in the national interest. The veto pen is the number one reason I support Obama. I am scared s-less by an all republican government considering the kooks that have taken over the party in the last few years. I have seen in AZ what that can lead to.
You just remember this. YOUR GUY set a precedent for invading a country via a memo to Congress and granting amnesty by EO.

All fine and dandy because your guy did it but what happens in the future ? Your guy won't always be in office and look at the Pandora's box he opened.

That's what scares me the most. We have a Congress that has silently relinquished their power and authority and aren't even trying to get it back.

What we have is an Executive branch making law and decisions all by themselves.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
The Republicans say they want to "save Medicare" ...Bhwaaaaa, ha, ha, ha, ha, snort, burp, ha, ha

Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Even if Romney wins, ObamaCare will be difficult to repeal. The same goes for Medicare. Politicians blow lots of smoke in election years.
Not quite. Obama is showing us day by day that executive orders can accomplish anything that a dictatorlike president wants to accomplish. If Obama can grant amnesty, why can't Romney kill ObamaCare.

Doesn't matter though. With a GOP majority in the senate and congress, and Romney in the WH, it can be done legislatively.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If Romney wins, he will repeal ObamaCare. This means private insurance companies will be able to refuse insurance to people if they have pre-existing conditions. It also means they can charge you a higher rate if you have pre-existing conditions. They will also be able to cancel your policy when you get sick and have high cost insurance claims.

These issues mainly come into play for insurance that you buy on the open market, when you dont get insurance from your employer.

Fast forward to new Medicare where you buy private insurance using your voucher.

Since you are retired when on medicare, you can no longer get insurance from your employer. The open market private insurers can refuse you if preexisting condition and they can charge you $2500 a month if you have preexisting condition(if ObamaCare is repealed).

So if a retiree gets a $800/mo Medicare voucher....how do they get health insurance if the private carrier refuses them because they had prior heart surgery or cancer or diabetes?

If a retiree gets a a $800 Medicare voucher....how to they afford health insurance if the private carriers charge $1700/mo because the person is 80 years old and has several health issues related to old age?
I was born in 59, I'm a little bit of a health nut, I've never smoked, I'm in good shape, but I have a pre existing health condition through no fault of my own. I'm pretty much screwed if Romney/Ryan win this fall. Healthcare is going to cost me a fortune when I retire, and my age group is going to be the guinea pigs that they try out all of these experimental policies on. Great.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I was born in 59, I'm a little bit of a health nut, I've never smoked, I'm in good shape, but I have a pre existing health condition through no fault of my own. I'm pretty much screwed if Romney/Ryan win this fall. Healthcare is going to cost me a fortune when I retire, and my age group is going to be the guinea pigs that they try out all of these experimental policies on. Great.
So you assume that this plan is a done deal and will be signed 1/21/2013 thus putting you in the under 55 group.

You are certainly old enough to know better and to jump to this type of conclusion.
If nothing is done then there won't be any medicare for you when you turn 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies