U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM

78,835 posts, read 33,532,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Of course they will . Business is risk vs reward. When you take away the reward no one is willing to take the risk.
Unfortunately the government assumed much of the risk also which is equally as harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,974,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Unfortunately the government assumed much of the risk also which is equally as harmful.

True, something they never should have done. These clowns are in the banking industry. They should be in sales , they are obviously much better at that.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,772,847 times
Speaking of Japan, did you ever hear of Japans Lost Decade.

As a result of their bubble and recession.

Japan's lost decade as an example of the liquidity trap, a situation where consumers and corporations saved, not spending money decreased the velocity of money thereby causing the economy to slow.

In response to the recession, Japanese policymakers tried a series of government economic stimulus programs and bank bailouts. A 2.4% budget surplus in 1991 turned to a deficit of 4.3% by 1996 and 10% by 1998, with the national debt to GDP ratio reaching 100%. In 1998, a $500 billion bank rescue plan was implemented to encourage bank lending and borrowing.

Japanese corporations in aggregate opted to pay down their debts from their own business earnings rather than borrow to invest as firms typically do.

A lot of this sounds familiar, American can possibly have their own Lost Decade.

Last edited by eRayP; 08-20-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM

6,467 posts, read 11,548,245 times
I'd be interested in knowing of a single company that said "Oh, we've got a tax break! Let's hire some more people that we don't need *JUST* to create jobs!"

I need to know where not to invest my money.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,478,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The DOW is almost back to where it was before the recession began back in 2007, corporate profits are hitting historical highs, and the rich are getting richer. I'm just wondering when the economy is suppose to start improving? I was told that if those at the top make more it would lead to gains for the poor and middle class. Why is that not happening?
All we've heard for the last 3 fricken years from kooks like you is that jobs were a lagging indicator, now you are demanding what we told you YEARS ago, wouldnt come true..

Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,478,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I'd be interested in knowing of a single company that said "Oh, we've got a tax break! Let's hire some more people that we don't need *JUST* to create jobs!"

I have yet to hear of a business that said "Wow, demand for our product is improving, profits are up, lets go out of business just to make Obama look bad"

Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I have yet to hear of a business that said "Wow, demand for our product is improving, profits are up, lets go out of business just to make Obama look bad"
LOLOL that is so funny, what funnier is some people believe that. There are post that accuse business of just that, they called it obstructionism lol

Last edited by eRayP; 08-20-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post

First of all, no smart business owner makes a decision based on one part of the equation. Case in point, Obama takes credit for saving GM. Unfortunately Obama does not understand that flooding a company with money that has diminished demand for the product will lead to financial problems for that company. GM is now propping with subprime loans in an effort to increase demand. I am not sure exactly why Solyndra failed though. If you understand finance you would look at and understand the numbers and you would see that NO Mr President, GM is not doing good.

As I said before, business owners will look at projected revenues resulting from demand for their product and they will look at projected expenses. Higher expenses via an increased taxes and Obamacare along with decreased demand because people can not afford to buy due to job losses tells companies to reduce expenses and one way to do that is to lay-off. They also will not hire more people.

Obama is running on your emotions (anger, resentment, envy).
Businesses on the other hand base decisions on hard numbers and current economy and Obamas policies. Romney are running on hard numbers and what he and Ryan believe will get the economy moving again where people have jobs and working on the hard numbers so Medicare will not go bankrupt and be there now and for younger Americans.

Last edited by eRayP; 08-20-2012 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM

17,028 posts, read 9,550,864 times
"When Will It Start To Trickle Down? "

Hsaven't you noticed, poverty is trickling up.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 8,807,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"When Will It Start To Trickle Down? "

Hsaven't you noticed, poverty is trickling up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies