Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
So you oppose this spending for building roads and bridges as well as repairs?

How would you suggest such projects be funded? Or do you think the roads and bridges around the country do not need repairs and that we do not need any additional roads and bridges built to support small and large businesses?
Obama ran against earmarks (which is what these are). Political favor, with funds he is NOT allowed to be spending. Congress holds the purse strings, not the president. Especially this president, who wasn't quite clear on the "shovel-ready" concept last go around.

But this will be seen by smart people for what it is - a not-so-transparent attempt to sway voters with cash. The man really has no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:22 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
No, didn't work for Clinton, but I think I would have been good in the question department. Didn't anyone ever teach you that there is no such thing as a stupid question?

No. I'm saying that in fact funds were given to Solyndra. I'm not saying Solyndra was a "campaign bundler".....I'd still like some confirmation of that, if you can provide it. So WHO is the owner of Solyndra that was a campaign bundler? Do you know the name?

As for putting money into work you believe in, I think that's pretty standard for anyone. If you believe that green technology is the gateway to a better future, and you campaign on that belief, and other people who feel the same way about green technology support you, and they run green technology busineses, WHY would you not support those efforts with money if you too are convinced that that industry is the "future" for our country? It only makes sense that you would invest money in such ventures. Additionally, is it absolutely unheard of that businesses in new industries fail?? Ahhh, the standards of perfection to which you guys hold Obama. Not even your dear Ronald Reagan was perfect, guys.

So, IMO, there is absolutely nothing at all corrupt about Obama putting stimulus money into green businesses/technology. No doubt that the path to success, as with almost every business, will see failures along the way.
It took me one minute to find this article on a Google search: solyndra obama donor

Kaiser, an Oklahoma billionaire, was a "bundler" for Obama's 2008 campaign, raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the president, records show. He also was a frequent White House visitor in 2009 and 2010. White House officials for months have denied that Kaiser talked about Solyndra during those visits. One the nation's richest men, Kaiser owns an oil company and other energy interests and is chief donor to the George Kaiser Family Foundation, which invests in early childhood education and community health.

George Kaiser, Obama Donor, Discussed Solyndra Loan With White House, Emails Show

It's from the right-wing front group Huffington Post, so you will prob not consider it an unbiased source.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
When is the last time you drove cross country? There are plenty of roads badly in need of repair. Are you saying that we don't need any work done anywhere in the country on roads and bridges? And if the funds are not released now, when would you think would be a good time to release them?

Again, do you oppose federal spending for construction of and repairs on highways and bridges across this country? If you do oppose it, how would you fund these types of projects?
YES. Let the states take care of their own roads. The federal government should stay out of it. Why should a taxpayer in New Jersey pay for a road in Tennessee?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Well, BRAVO that he's doing it now. Romney would certainly not do it. Romney will use every penny he can find to ensure more tax cuts for the super-wealthy. And eventually those funds Obama is releasing will provide jobs for some people. I don't think that's goofy at all.
I thought Obama was serious about the debt? Why doesn't he use that money to pay off some of it?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
This is how Democrats manage the taxpayer funds. It is not our money, but it is "their" money. And "they" spend it in ways that help them keep or gain more power. We shall see more wasted green power projects that just are political pay offs to the green lobby.
So what do you say to independent reviews/investigations by REPUBLICANS which say the green energy loan program is in good shape and they have not found any wrongdoing?

Oh, you didn't know about those? Why am I not surprised. You're just repeating stuff you've read that you're suppose to believe without ever having thought it through of researched it yourself. Of course if you have any source which proves that the green energy projects are all about political payoffs and contradicts the findings of independent investigations, please post a link.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I thought Obama was serious about the debt? Why doesn't he use that money to pay off some of it?
Because the money was earmarked to use for highway and bridge repairs in the country. It cannot be used to pay off the debt. If you had bothered to read any of the links about this money which I have posted you would know that. Do you even have a clue where this money is coming from? Obviously not.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
YES. Let the states take care of their own roads. The federal government should stay out of it. Why should a taxpayer in New Jersey pay for a road in Tennessee?
Because Congress people earmarked the funds when they were appropriated for highway work in various states. This thread is not about your objections to federal government. It's about the money released NOW to pay for highway projects NOW.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It took me one minute to find this article on a Google search: solyndra obama donor

Kaiser, an Oklahoma billionaire, was a "bundler" for Obama's 2008 campaign, raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the president, records show. He also was a frequent White House visitor in 2009 and 2010. White House officials for months have denied that Kaiser talked about Solyndra during those visits. One the nation's richest men, Kaiser owns an oil company and other energy interests and is chief donor to the George Kaiser Family Foundation, which invests in early childhood education and community health.

George Kaiser, Obama Donor, Discussed Solyndra Loan With White House, Emails Show

It's from the right-wing front group Huffington Post, so you will prob not consider it an unbiased source.
And clearly it says that Solyndra was not discussed during those visits. So..........do you have any proof otherwise?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
I'm not badgering anyone

Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Obama ran against earmarks (which is what these are). Political favor, with funds he is NOT allowed to be spending. Congress holds the purse strings, not the president. Especially this president, who wasn't quite clear on the "shovel-ready" concept last go around.

But this will be seen by smart people for what it is - a not-so-transparent attempt to sway voters with cash. The man really has no clue.
dear god! How about reading some of the links in the thread. The money was appropriated as far back as 2003 and 2006....Obama was not President then.....and the money was appropriated by Congress for use on highway projects. Obama has just released this money NOW for the uses it was intended.

Who the hell cares about the perceptions of this release of money?! It's about money being released into the communities and providing work for members of various communities. Are you sooooo politically jaded and blinded by that cynicism that you simply cannot see anything in any context other than political motivation. Exactly what do you see wrong with creating jobs for people in this country who need jobs? Are you saying that this money should not have been released now, to hell with anyone needing a job, or local communities ecomonies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies