U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,417,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So, I guess what you're saying is that Obama released these funds to benefit whoever gets elected this November. As the money went to 49 of the 50 states then all the republican senators and congress men in their districts will look like heros for "bringing home the bacon." Or do you think Obama was totally ignorant of the time lag involved in state funding distribution? Which is it?
THANK YOU! I didn't think of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM

20,321 posts, read 13,798,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
No, I don't know why he didn't release it earlier. Obama doesn't call me up and tell me why he does things. And as I've said what feels like a hundred times here, the perception of WHY he released the funds, the timing of the release, is not important to me. The fact that money has been released and is available to states for use TODAY to create more jobs is what's important and I think it is a very good thing.

Additionally, I don't think "we" (you and I) "know" anything about this other than the statements which were made by the White House. That is, unless the White House or Obama personally confides in you.

Finally, you don't know that I'm a strong Obama supporter. You're making ASSumptions again.
That's why you use your own brain to decide if things look to be on the up and up, you don't blindly accept what any administration tells us. I was in the military and completely apolitical until my mid thirties. I do not trust any politician, nor do I distrust them all. Too many politicians lie to get elected, lie after they are elected, and simply enrich themselves and grow their personal power, all the while thinking they can fool most of the people all the time

I analyze what politicians say, and look for their motivations, then compare that to what they do, and as time goes on I remember what they said and did in the past. I actually even gave 0bama his chance, because in January '09 before he was sworn in he said a lot of the right things and put together an impressive economic team. Then one by one, I saw him not only forget his promises, but he actually did the exact opposite of what he said he would do, and he did not even blink.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That's why you use your own brain to decide if things look to be on the up and up, you don't blindly accept what any administration tells us. I was in the military and completely apolitical until my mid thirties. I do not trust any politician, nor do I distrust them all. Too many politicians lie to get elected, lie after they are elected, and simply enrich themselves and grow their personal power, all the while thinking they can fool most of the people all the time

I analyze what politicians say, and look for their motivations, then compare that to what they do, and as time goes on I remember what they said and did in the past. I actually even gave 0bama his chance, because in January '09 before he was sworn in he said a lot of the right things and put together an impressive economic team. Then one by one, I saw him not only forget his promises, but he actually did the exact opposite of what he said he would do, and he did not even blink.
I appreciate your life experience and why you feel the way you do. I'm not completely politically naive. I understand what you're talking aobut.

I just try very hard not to become completely jaded about these things. It takes effort.

In my view, releasing that money, bottom line has the potential to be a very, very good thing. And as mohawkx pointed out, any credit for a benefit from the release of that money will fall to whomever is elected in November. That may not be Obama.

Sometimes, IMO, it's good to try to look at things without the political glasses on. Money available for jobs and communities is good, regardless of who makes that money available.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM

20,321 posts, read 13,798,467 times
Quote:
So, I guess what you're saying is that Obama released these funds to benefit whoever gets elected this November. As the money went to 49 of the 50 states then all the republican senators and congress men in their districts will look like heros for "bringing home the bacon." Or do you think Obama was totally ignorant of the time lag involved in state funding distribution? Which is it?
That will be the end result, but in the moment, he thinks it will buy him much needed votes in Nov, and it will give him a few snappy one-liners for his campaign ads.

Watch the next 77 days, 0bama will come up with more administrative tricks to buy votes. He will go on a whirlwind tour promising stuff for votes. He has already started using the Department Of Justice to buy votes by choosing prosecutorial discretion to not enforce certain immigration laws, DOMA, 0bamaCare waivers and now rewriting parts of the Welfare Reform Act. His latest is just an outright buying of votes.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Translation. The money has been transferred to the states. You still have no idea what, where, when, or how it will be spent by the states. Good luck in your quest. Please report back to us all to prove your claims.
The money is earmarked, so it has to be spent for the highway projects.......

The White House said the money was appropriated in legislation from fiscal 2003 through 2006 and was dedicated, or earmarked, by lawmakers for specific projects. Starting today, state transportation departments may use the unspent funds for highway, transit, passenger rail and port improvements, according to the White House announcement.
“We are freeing up these funds so states can get down to the business of moving transportation projects forward and putting our friends and neighbors back to work,” Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in the White House statement.
The funds must be spent in the states where Congress originally directed them, LaHood said in a press briefing.

Obama Frees Unspent $473 Million for Use on Transportation - Businessweek

Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
That will be the end result, but in the moment, he thinks it will buy him much needed votes in Nov, and it will give him a few snappy one-liners for his campaign ads.

Watch the next 77 days, 0bama will come up with more administrative tricks to buy votes. He will go on a whirlwind tour promising stuff for votes. He has already started using the Department Of Justice to buy votes by choosing prosecutorial discretion to not enforce certain immigration laws, DOMA, 0bamaCare waivers and now rewriting parts of the Welfare Reform Act. His latest is just an outright buying of votes.
But how does Obama's political "tricks" make the release of this money BAD?

There are plenty of threads to discuss Obama's political compaign, his political motivations, etc., but this one is specifically about the release of this money NOW. If he waited until after he got elected to release it, it would be just that much longer before the money could even be used to start to create jobs. If he didn't get elected, how do you know Romney would have released it?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,115,644 times
If he wants my vote he will pay 16 trillion out of his pocket to the lenders, and 16 trillion more into mine.

I am not worried about it.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM

13,053 posts, read 7,756,086 times
Quote:

It's what is called "The Bully Pulpit" Every president has one and every president has used it going all the way back to Washington. I will make the assumption that you are very aware of that fact? But go on with the smear. That's to be expected less than 80 days before a presidential election. Thick skins make for good politicians. Folks could pick something with a little more grist. Nit-picking this issue just makes the honorable right wing look petty and small minded. Lots of bigger issues with real meat on the bone. This is a small potatos issue. In fact it really is a non issue. IMO

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-20-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
It's what is called "The Bully Pulpit" Every president has one and every president has used it going all the way back to Washington. I will make the assumption that you are very aware of that fact? But go on with the smear. That's to be expected less than 80 days before a presidential election. Folks could pick something with a little more grist. Nit-picking this issue just makes the honorable right wing look petty and small minded. Lots of bigger issues with real meat on the bone. This is a small potatos issue. In fact it really is a non issue. IMO

Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,748,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What does this have to do with Obama releasing these funds which will create construction jobs?

Of course, if your goal is to distract, no problem; this thread has already run its course. The anti-Obama crowd has realized that the ultimate purpose of this money is a good thing, and there's only so far they can get with their political spin of trying to make it sound "bad" because of political timing. The real impact, regardless of timing of the release, will be that some people in this country will get jobs and be able to take care of their families,and that is indeed a GOOD THING.
$450 million is a pittance compared to $80 billlion which would have served the people much better going into the economy rather than pockets.

Last edited by softblueyz; 08-21-2012 at 03:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or